shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling LD and Other Jewelry Makers

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so curious about our collective hidden talents. We've recently seen some lovely work from Soberguy (and we'd love to see more). Who else makes their own jewelry here? LD, can you show us what you've been up to? Innerkitten, we know you've been taking classes...heck, if enough people post, I may be convinced to post some of my pearl stringing I've done :bigsmile:

C'mon, show us what you've got!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you really sure you want to see these?????? I'm a beginner and have only been doing this for a few months so they're a million miles away from being perfect! I'm self taught but if you look on YouTube you can find all sorts of great instruction guides. Ebay is great for findings and there are some great websites in the UK for genuine gemstones. We also have a TV channel (part of GemsTV) that's called Jewellery Maker and they only sell genuine gemstones for making jewellery. I've made more that I haven't photographed - including tons of Shamballa bracelets but my favourite is the dragonfly necklace (see the next post).

chain_maille_set.jpg

fluorite_necklace_3.jpg

shell_pearl_montage2.jpg

pearl_knitted_bracelet_montage.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite necklace (a bit chunky but I love it).

The earrings are Sterling Silver and coated silver wire that I made for my God-daughter for her birthday. This was my first attempt and I've got a bit better at this now!

Last one is silver with Murano style beads. This took ages because I had to craft each link individually.

dragonfly_necklace.jpg

dragonfly_wirework_earrings.jpg

red_and_silver_necklace2.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some : )

1) Lapis and untreated coral

2) untreated spiny oyster and coral

3) Lapis and kyanite

4) the earing

All in 14k gold wire/beads.

lapiscoral1.jpg

coralspiny1.jpg

lapiskyanite1.jpg

lapiskyanite2.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice work Soberguy. Do you sell your pieces or give them to friends/relatives as pressies (as presumably you don't wear them)?????

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
The only one i have worn was the lapis/lapis necklace. But I have sold/given away the rest : )

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
WOW LD! Beautiful! I love the chain maille! :love: And the shell pearls! The dragonfly necklace is amazing! Very nice!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
You are so talented and artistic. I could never dream of being able to think up or make such things. The chain mail and the fluorite are my favourites.

Soberguy,
I like the Lapis necklace. Although I also like the lapis/kyanite, I think I'll be too nervous to wear something with potentially pokey edges. :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I forgot I started this thread! You are so talented! LD, you have an amazing range of styles. I bet when you wear your dragonfly necklace you command attention. Soberguy, I love your color combos, particularly the all lapis necklace.

Let's see some more!

kt

Shiny_Rock
In the days before I had my daughter, I used to make and sell beaded jewelry on Etsy, and also at parties and in craft shows...I think my love of colored stones started there! But now I just have time to make myself little random pieces when the mood hits - and I don't want my daughter (who is now 3) spilling a whole box of beads all over the hardwood floor :errrr: I miss it a lot but I would love to get back into it at some point now that's she's a little older!

Here are a couple example of my stuff - it's all semiprecious or precious stones (before I really understood about heating and treatments), sterling or 14k - my thing was hand wire-wrapping.

blue_chalcedony_necklace.jpg

kyanite_kite_necklace.jpg

sapphire_cascade_earrings.jpg

turquoise_and_iolite_necklace.jpg

kt

Shiny_Rock
and a few other of my favorites...the difficulty became i didn't want to sell them and keep them for myself! :bigsmile:

tourmaline_shaded_14k_necklace.jpg

ametrine_necklace.jpg

tourmaline_and_pearls.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kt,
The chalcedony necklace reminds me of an antique piece. I'd love to own and wear such a piece.

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'd like to show some of mine, but technically being "trade" I probably cant, even though stones are my full-time gig. I usually only do jewelry work on the side for myself or special commissions. Nice stuff, folks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better to play it safe. Perhaps you can ask Ella to see if it's permissible?

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, pretties! Here's some of mine. It will not surprise you that I like to combine blue gemstones with yellow gold.

1) Sapphire rondelle hoops

2) White topaz briolette hoops

3) smaller hoops, sapphire rondelles

yana09131.jpg

yana09132.jpg

yana09133.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
1) Kyanite briolettes and moonstone briolettes

2) Iolite briolettes, moonstone briolettes, white topaz rondelles

3) top to bottom: labradorite, kyanite, moonstone, iolite

yana09134.jpg

yana09135.jpg

yana09136.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Various necklaces with moonstone, kyanite, iolite, chalcedony. I buy the gemstones in strings, have to try to use them all...

yana09137.jpg

yana09138.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, really beautiful!

I love how similar materials can be so different depending on the vision. Love the chalcedony(s) too.

Lauralynn

Rough_Rock
I love those earrings!!!

Is there anywhere I can see more/buy??

You are all so talented! Very very nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanaazul,
I'd help you unload those pendants and moonstone necklace any time too. :devil:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Yanaazul, I agree - I called it chalcedony (doh, what was I thinking!), but I meant your moonstone necklace fabulous! With the quantity you make, do you sell somewhere, or do you just need to have one of each color, shape, etc. to wear?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the hoops! Very nice wire wrapping - even and tight. I can't do wire work at all and I am envious of the skills.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, everyone's beaded pieces are so fantastic! My beaded things look like they were strung together by a kindergartener on crack. My wire-wrapping skills are not much better. And LD, those chain mail pieces are amazing! Yanaazul, those earrings are to die for (and your color choice is, as you said, unsurprising)! I love the circle necklaces with the stones in them too. Soberguy, my favorite necklace you posted is the coral and spiny oyster one. KT, your work looks so delicate! I too like the antique-looking chalcedony necklace.

I've been taking fabrication classes off and on for several years and casting classes off and on since early this year. I definitely haven't found my own style yet - when I sit down to make something I usually just make whatever I happen to want to wear that day. There are some people in my jewelry class whose stuff looks like a ready-made jewelry line because it all adheres to the same theme, and then there's Distracts... getting distracted. But I enjoy and wear my things.

London blue topaz/sterling silver ring:
310455_827368035849_18812838_38677308_1916274153_n.jpg

Tsavorite pinky ring:
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg

Jasper pendant (in-progress at the time, though now completed, and often worn) and cuttlebone castings (the tree piece has been finished and is just a tiny sculpture, the other thing is a pendant):
IMG_1380.jpg

Copper/silver cuff I made for an art swap on another forum:
292035_804866469169_72272713_n.jpg
309021_804866509089_1063185799_n.jpg

Shadowbox comet pendant:
img_1290.jpg

Carapace pendant (cast):
img_1288.jpg
img_1289.jpg

Acid-etched sterling band (the recessed parts were originally all blackened but I've worn it so much lately it's almost worn off):
photo-1_10.jpg

I really ought to take a picture of the completed jasper pendant... it, the carapace pendant, and the etched band are the things I've made that I've been wearing most often recently.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
distracts said:
- when I sit down to make something I usually just make whatever I happen to want to wear that day. There are some people in my jewelry class whose stuff looks like a ready-made jewelry line because it all adheres to the same theme, and then there's Distracts... getting distracted. But I enjoy and wear my things.

This is what it's all about, yes? Especially for us who have a hobby, not a business. Thanks all for the compliments everyone, you're too kind. As a kid I used to help my dad with electrical/mechanical repairs around the house. Wire-wrapping is a much prettier use of that type of skill!

I don't make stuff to sell -- I very much admire anyone who fills orders, maintains inventory, because that takes a discipline that I do not have! I'm very much a as-the-whim-strikes-me kind of maker. Not to mention the instant gratification aspect of "ooh, I made a shiny thing and now I get to wear it!" Though I just realized I haven't made anything for myself in a long time, actually... lots of gifts, my family and friends have come to expect I'll give them jewelry, I wonder why? :D

Now looking at everyone's things, I want to learn chain maille, and casting...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
I'm in awe of your metal work skills. You are able to hammer, join and shape jewellery well. I rather like the cuff.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for starting this thread Minous. Sooo many talented PSers :)) I too have started to "fiddle" but don't have much finished or indeed photographed (can't seem to find the 2 pics I took).

Wonderful pieces and too many favourites. Congratulations all :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1347670651|3268395 said:
Distracts,
I'm in awe of your metal work skills. You are able to hammer, join and shape jewellery well. I rather like the cuff.

Thank you! It is all down to practice. Although I still wear even the first things I made, it is reaaaally obvious that my newer stuff is better.

I have contemplated taking the upcoming campaign off-season to start at a professional jewelry program. The problem is that the one in my state that everyone recommends is a two hour drive, so either I'd have to get an apartment for during the week or have a really horrible commute (realistically, probably the same price either way!). I wish I had figured out how much I liked jewelry making before I went to a regular college - could have saved my parents a lot of money, and wouldn't have the whole "how to do something far away while not killing my relationship" problem. If I didn't have my awesome fiance, I would be off there like a shot. But I do, and my current career isn't horrible, but I would like more of the jewelry knowledge! I look at so many things on PS and wish I could make them, but can't learn the skills without going to a good school for it. There are some skills I can pick up through books, but I don't think pave is one of them... especially since I can't even prong-set anything but a round stone. I've read a lot about prong setting but when I sit down to try to build a setting I become completely baffled and abandon the venture. But I'd like to be able to set some of the pretty faceted gems I buy on my own, you know?

yanaazul|1347668832|3268379 said:
Now looking at everyone's things, I want to learn chain maille, and casting...

If you are looking into a casting class, inquire with the program whether it would be beneficial to have taken a basic fabrication class first. At the place I take, as well as the other main place that offers classes like this in my city, while fab isn't required before casting, it really should be, because the basic techniques learned in fab classes will also be used in casting, but often aren't explicitly on the schedule so you're just kind of playing catch-up with sawing and joining and finishing.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Distracts - where do you live? If you can, check out Revere Acadamy, in San Francisco. They are one of the best technical schools for bench jewelers. The Jewelry Technician program will cover every thing you need to know to start off and how to do it well, efficiently and fast. There is an intensive 2 month program but it can also be done by taking each individual class at a time (most are a week long), to fit your schedule. At the end, you should be ready for the JA Bench Jeweler Exam.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results