shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Arjunajane regarding AUSFTA

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi AJ

I am wondering if the AUSFTA is applicable to business to business transaction only?

I called the Fedex people and they say I'm not eligible for preferential rate of duty since I'm not importing the product for commercial purposes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hi LG my lovey-this is completely incorrect. Either the staffer you spoke to didnt know their stuff (very possible), or someone is telling porkies. Did you speak to a fedex customs broker or just regular CS? May I ask, what it is you are importing and the value (just approx if you like),so I can make sure I give you the right info- Have you read through the FTA thread that Lestat began-if you like I'd be happy to give you advice here, but everything you should need to have it imported duty free is contained in that thread :wavey:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane said:
hi LG my lovey-this is completely incorrect. Either the staffer you spoke to didn't know their stuff (very possible), or someone is telling porkies. Did you speak to a fedex customs broker or just regular CS? May I ask, what it is you are importing and the value (just approx if you like),so I can make sure I give you the right info- Have you read through the FTA thread that Lestat began-if you like I'd be happy to give you advice here, but everything you should need to have it imported duty free is contained in that thread :wavey:

Hi Aj

Thank you for the information, I did read through Lestat's thread but was at work so I couldn't verify the information Fedex gave me. Plus they have held onto my package for 3 days because of discrepancy between invoice and declared amount? So I'm more worried about my package going missing at the moment more than AUSFTA, each time I called they gave me different answers. :angryfire: After that's sorted I'll pursue the AUSFTA issue again. Your verification is certainly very helpful. You know what I don't think they know what they're doing, and I think they've outsourced all customer service to another country. The last person I spoke to said he's the brokering agent, and told me I can't claim AUSFTA... Excuse me for going off tangent.

I'm importing a ring, the gemstone is mine from Oz, I know they insured my package for the cost of ring and gemstone, but invoice will be the ring amount only naturally.

Waiting for the vendor to respond so I know what's happening.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:
hi LG my lovey-this is completely incorrect. Either the staffer you spoke to didn't know their stuff (very possible), or someone is telling porkies. Did you speak to a fedex customs broker or just regular CS? May I ask, what it is you are importing and the value (just approx if you like),so I can make sure I give you the right info- Have you read through the FTA thread that Lestat began-if you like I'd be happy to give you advice here, but everything you should need to have it imported duty free is contained in that thread :wavey:

Hi Aj

Thank you for the information, I did read through Lestat's thread but was at work so I couldn't verify the information Fedex gave me. Plus they have held onto my package for 3 days because of discrepancy between invoice and declared amount? So I'm more worried about my package going missing at the moment more than AUSFTA, each time I called they gave me different answers. :angryfire: After that's sorted I'll pursue the AUSFTA issue again. Your verification is certainly very helpful. You know what I don't think they know what they're doing, and I think they've outsourced all customer service to another country. The last person I spoke to said he's the brokering agent, and told me I can't claim AUSFTA... Excuse me for going off tangent.

I'm importing a ring, the gemstone is mine from Oz, I know they insured my package for the cost of ring and gemstone, but invoice will be the ring amount only naturally.

Hi LG,
I can feel your pain - sometimes dealing with that company is like pulling teeth, as demonstrated by the many examples in the RT thread...aahh, the joys of outsourcing, lol.. :roll:
Sorry to hear of your difficulties in obtaining your package - I agree, at this stage don't worry about the FTA and just get your package cleared - then you can always lodge for refund down the track, as per instructions in the other thread.

Don't listen to that CS rep, they are wrong, plain & simple - if you get all your ppwk together properly, the duty refund will go through easily.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help, and I hope you get your new ring soon - there really is nothing worse than when they are held up in customs/fedex :(sad

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi lovinggems (I know that you asked for Arjunajane's advice but here's my 2 cents),

This might be helpful to you:

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/australiaunited-states-free-trade-agreement.htm

Also, I've heard that as long as the value of your parcel is under 1000 AUD$ it's okay... but if it's over 1000$ AUD$, there could be some hiccups at customs. That's what my SO told me according to his friend's advice.

Personally, my SO and I have had parcels get stuck at Australian customs for 3-6 months. I think the inspection period is slow at times. And, that's just how it is. When we called to figure out where our parcels were, we couldn't get any information. But, we got them eventually. So, don't worry. It should be fine. I'm sure it won't take as long as it did for us (the issue with our pacels was the contents: my SO collects straight razors and my mom sent me a pair of my boots from overseas so customs had to check for dirt in the soles).

I'm sure you'll receive your ring soon,
Best,
Gempassion

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane said:
Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:

Hi Aj

Hi LG,
I can feel your pain - sometimes dealing with that company is like pulling teeth, as demonstrated by the many examples in the RT thread...aahh, the joys of outsourcing, lol.. :roll:
Sorry to hear of your difficulties in obtaining your package - I agree, at this stage don't worry about the FTA and just get your package cleared - then you can always lodge for refund down the track, as per instructions in the other thread.

Don't listen to that CS rep, they are wrong, plain & simple - if you get all your ppwk together properly, the duty refund will go through easily.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help, and I hope you get your new ring soon - there really is nothing worse than when they are held up in customs/fedex :(sad

Hi AJ
Thank you for your message, I agree they don't give proper training to their customer service staff, some try very hard to get you the information but some not so. Each time I called I received different answers, telling me to send them various paperwork. My lovely vendor got back to me and they're dealing with the paperwork, I thought it's best if they deal with Fedex, they can access professional advice and deal with this properly. Normally I wouldn't be this worried but it concerns one of my favourite gemstone, and the ring photos my vendor sent me were just amazing, the quicker I have it the safer. :lol:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion said:
Hi lovinggems (I know that you asked for Arjunajane's advice but here's my 2 cents),

This might be helpful to you:

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/australiaunited-states-free-trade-agreement.htm

Also, I've heard that as long as the value of your parcel is under 1000 AUD$ it's okay... but if it's over 1000$ AUD$, there could be some hiccups at customs. That's what my SO told me according to his friend's advice.

Personally, my SO and I have had parcels get stuck at Australian customs for 3-6 months. I think the inspection period is slow at times. And, that's just how it is. When we called to figure out where our parcels were, we couldn't get any information. But, we got them eventually. So, don't worry. It should be fine. I'm sure it won't take as long as it did for us (the issue with our pacels was the contents: my SO collects straight razors and my mom sent me a pair of my boots from overseas so customs had to check for dirt in the soles).

I'm sure you'll receive your ring soon,
Best,
Gempassion

Hi Gempassion :wavey:

Thank you for chiming in, the Whiteflash link is most useful, I think after reading the page, the threads on PS and information on Customs website I am beginning to get it (I'm slow).

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Gempassion.

I'm hopping mad, I must pay GST on my stone as well, which I already did when I import it a few months ago. I need to ask whether they will charge a fee for processing AUSFTA. And I still don't have my ring.

AJ the all up is a plane ticket to the US, LA or Hawaii. :-o

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lovinggems,

It doesn't seem fair for you to pay for GST again, on a stone that you bought in Oz in the first place... You might just have to claim a "refund of duties" paid as per the Whiteflash link to AUSFTA information or go to some sort of consumer affairs ombudsman about the whole thing. I am sure it will work out in the end, it might just take some paperwork to get there.

Keep us posted.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion thank you for your kind words, I finally get my ring back today.

But I am heartbroken, and angry. Whoever set my garnet treated my stone with contempt and not an ounce of care. Obviously I accept there might be accidents, but this, this is just shoddy workmanship. I am wondering why they posted my package so quickly without telling me about the chips. :angryfire: I shall post a full review once I hear back from the seller. I don't think I'm over reacting because I see the defect with my naked eye before I decide to loupe it.

Dem garnet butchered.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
oh wow, LG I am so very sorry, both about the taxes and the damage to the stone - what a crappy situation. :nono:
Can you share who the vendor is? Because it sounded from your previous comment that they were indicating they were on top of the AUSFTA thing..

With regards to re-importing a ring that has a gem in it you have already imported and paid GST on - there is a proper procedure to follow, which any decent vendor could have garnered the info from the FTA thread or a US or Au authority before acting.
Basically the declared value on the package for customs purposes should be only the cost of the work done on the ring, however the insured value with the vendor's third party insurance should also include your gem.
This way, you don't get double-charged but you are still fully insured should anything go wrong during transit.
This is the way every O/S vendor I have dealt with operates when sending packages internationally, and is the correct procedure.

LG, please let me know what I can do to help - you will be entitled to a full refund on the double-charged GST, as mentioned by gempassion it will just take a little paperwork and letter-writing, but I promise I will happily walk you through it.
It is clear, you will request the refund based on both vendor and customs error.

With re to the chips, this is only something I can offer my sincere commiserations on..do you have a response from the vendor yet? I too would be severely disappointed this was pushed past QT.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane said:
oh wow, LG I am so very sorry, both about the taxes and the damage to the stone - what a crappy situation. :nono:
Can you share who the vendor is? Because it sounded from your previous comment that they were indicating they were on top of the AUSFTA thing..

With regards to re-importing a ring that has a gem in it you have already imported and paid GST on - there is a proper procedure to follow, which any decent vendor could have garnered the info from the FTA thread or a US or Au authority before acting.
Basically the declared value on the package for customs purposes should be only the cost of the work done on the ring, however the insured value with the vendor's third party insurance should also include your gem.
This way, you don't get double-charged but you are still fully insured should anything go wrong during transit.
This is the way every O/S vendor I have dealt with operates when sending packages internationally, and is the correct procedure.

LG, please let me know what I can do to help - you will be entitled to a full refund on the double-charged GST, as mentioned by gempassion it will just take a little paperwork and letter-writing, but I promise I will happily walk you through it.
It is clear, you will request the refund based on both vendor and customs error.

With re to the chips, this is only something I can offer my sincere commiserations on..do you have a response from the vendor yet? I too would be severely disappointed this was pushed past QT.

Thank you AJ, you're most gracious with your time and energy.

I wasn't charged duties, I sent your example to the vendor and they sent me back the form. I explained in a long email about the taxes to the vendor but she ignored my words but just sent back the AUSFTA form as an attachment. Fedex is another story, I had to call 20 times to fix this mess.

I was surprised that the ring was ready in only a few days, I didn't have an opportunity to respond to their last email and the ring was shipped, and it's supposedly a hand made ring. I was told turnaround time was four weeks. I guess they were efficient or rushed the job. I am not happy my garnet was callously treated. I know demantoid is a soft stone, and they know too because they recommended platinum head for a white metal, which is what I got. Just the extensiveness of the chips is not the work of a careful setter.

I created another thread about my ring, and I emailed the vendor tonight, will see what they had to say.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:

I wasn't charged AUSFTA, I sent your example to the vendor and they sent me back the form. I explained in a long email about the taxes to the vendor but she ignored my words but just sent back the AUSFTA form as an attachment. Fedex is another story, I had to call 20 times to fix this mess.

I was surprised that the ring was ready in only a few days, I didn't have an opportunity to respond to their last email and the ring was shipped, and it's supposedly a hand made ring. I was told turnaround time was four weeks. I guess they were efficient or rushed the job. I am not happy my garnet was callously treated. I know demantoid is a soft stone, and they know too because they recommended platinum head for a white metal, which is what I got. Just the extensiveness of the chips is not the work of a careful setter.

I created another thread about my ring, and I emailed the vendor tonight, will see what they had to say.

Hi LG,
its really no problem - but just to confirm, you are saying you were not charged import duty, but you were charged GST for a second time on the value of the stone? (just trying to get it straight in my head) ::)
I feel your pain with FedEx hon, sorry your experience was so bumpy :blackeye:

I really hope you can get some satisfaction regarding the damage to your stone, please keep us posted *hugs*..

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane said:
Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:

I wasn't charged AUSFTA, I sent your example to the vendor and they sent me back the form. I explained in a long email about the taxes to the vendor but she ignored my words but just sent back the AUSFTA form as an attachment. Fedex is another story, I had to call 20 times to fix this mess.

Hi LG,
its really no problem - but just to confirm, you are saying you were not charged import duty, but you were charged GST for a second time on the value of the stone? (just trying to get it straight in my head) ::)
I feel your pain with FedEx hon, sorry your experience was so bumpy :blackeye:

I really hope you can get some satisfaction regarding the damage to your stone, please keep us posted *hugs*..

That's correct AJ, I am not very clear, it's 1 am on the east side. I am most disappointed with the vendor. Anyway just mentioning it's not a Leon, but the blunt prongs should be a dead giveaway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results