shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Sapphire Experts - Need advice on sapphire e-ring

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
What do you guys think about this sapphire? I know it isn''t the best photo. I am thinking about purchasing it for my e-ring. It is a 2.81 sapphire (measurements approx. 9.2x7.3x4.5)

Feedback is really really appreciated!!!

Sapphire .jpg

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Another photo...

sapphire 2.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know what people will be able to tell from those photos but from what I see that is a beautiful color -- what are the lighting conditions. I imagine you''d want to see it in different lights. Btw. where did you find it?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
the color does seem quite pretty. Any stats or info will help to respond re whether it''s a good stone to purchase.

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Winternight! - My jeweler found this stone for me, it is from Sri Lanka and is heated. These photos were taken inside, with moderate natural lighting coming in through the windows.

I took it outside and under natural light it performs the best. However, inside in the jewellery store it is a bit dark at times (see next photo).

Sapphire 3.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a pretty color, but may have a window? Can''t really see very well.

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for your comments - I forgot to mention that this stone comes with a full lab report completed by the President of the Canadian Gemological Association. It is a heated stone.

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am soo sorry for the horrible pictures!

Here is another one, showing how dark it can appear sometimes...

Sapphire 4.jpg

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Maybe this one will help? I was debating a halo setting here for the sapphire (It is sitting in a wax mould)...but decided on the three stone instead

Sapphire 7.jpg

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry again for the awful pictures...

sapphire 9.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I am just happy you are going with or even considering a colored stone for an e-ring..two thumbs up in my book..time to get rid of the last millenium type thinking of diamonds for e-rings and weddings..color is king!!!..i think it looks nice from what i can tell

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also, the price for the sapphire is $3,100. Do you know if this is reasonable?

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks Amethyst Guy!! I have always wanted a coloured stone for my e-ring, I feel that it suits my personality better, a diamond just didn''t feel right for me although I do love them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2010 12:17:50 AM
Author: Monpetitbijoux
Also, the price for the sapphire is $3,100. Do you know if this is reasonable?
I would want a lab report indicating full treatment. GIA or AGL if you''re in the United States. I just couldn''t have peace of mind buying an e-ring stone without one. I also can''t tell much about zoning, inclusions, cutting, from your photo, or how it behaves in various lighting. These are all things to consider for a gem that''s around $1K/ct.

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline Lover - I am definitely going to ask for these types of certificates as well prior to purchase.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
it''s an e-ring..gotta get the works like TL said for peace of mind

stci

Ideal_Rock
Big pics focus problem. Difficult to see...

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very pretty!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
its gorgeous... I think lol When taking pics with a camera that doesn''t like to be up close - it''s better to take the pic from far away (see how the background is clear?) and then edit the pic to help zoom in on it... :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Seems like a very nice color, but hard to tell much else.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your photos are so blurry that I am unable to make out any details with regards to cut quality (off center culet, extinction, zoning, windowing, etc) and clarity. Also, heat treated can mean heat only or high heat with the mineral beryllium added to improve the colour dramatically. Are you in Canada which is why the stone comes with a Canadian cert? Are there more details in the cert that you can share? For photography, I’d avoid putting it in the blue wax mould as it might influence the colour that the eye/camera sees.

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks again - I am going to try to get some better pictures this weekend

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is lovely but as Soberguy has mentioned there is evidence of a window. Can you try and take a photo with the macro on your camera if you have one but don''t get too close? If you put the gem on a surface facing you and rest the camera on the surface about 6-10" away and use your macro setting (looks like a flower) that should stop the camera shake/bluriness.

Treatment and cut will be a deciding factor in whether this is a good price or not I''m afraid. On the evidence so far (i.e. windowed and possible high heat) I''d say it''s expensive. If it has no window and it''s traditional low heat only then it''s a fair price for the colour and size.

That probably hasn''t helped at all has it? Sorry!

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/15/2010 2:14:02 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Colour is lovely but as Soberguy has mentioned there is evidence of a window. Can you try and take a photo with the macro on your camera if you have one but don''t get too close? If you put the gem on a surface facing you and rest the camera on the surface about 6-10'' away and use your macro setting (looks like a flower) that should stop the camera shake/bluriness.

Treatment and cut will be a deciding factor in whether this is a good price or not I''m afraid. On the evidence so far (i.e. windowed and possible high heat) I''d say it''s expensive. If it has no window and it''s traditional low heat only then it''s a fair price for the colour and size.

That probably hasn''t helped at all has it? Sorry!
Hi LovingDiamonds! The lab report will be completed in a week or two, but I was told that the stone is traditionally heated (e.g., standard heating), and is not treated (e.g., high heat, beryllium enhanced).

I have purchased a stone in the past with a huge window from Birks (horrible experience), so I think I know what to look out for in terms of windows (I could be wrong). When I look at the stone in person, I can''t see a window and the stone seems to have good colour saturation and distribution.

The cut appears to be very good as well, the culet is centred. The only concern I had with the stone is the deepness. It is (9.2 x7.3x4.5 approx). What are you thoughts on this?

Also, could someone provide me with a good definition of a window? Also, when I get the lab report and it says ''heat treated'' should I request to specify low or high heat? What exactly does ''low'' heat mean?

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was told that the President of the Canadian Gemological Association (CGA) is completing the certificate (he is also a professor at the institute) - i think it will also come with a AGL certificate as well. Below here is a brief description of the CGA along with the link to the website.

The Canadian Gemological Association (CGA) is Canada’s authority in gemology. Founded in 1958, the institute has provided training to people involved in gemstones notably those in the jewelry business and to hobbyists as well.

http://www.canadiangemmological.com/ecom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=65

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results