shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Mahenge Spinel Experts--what do you think?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all--

I am considering the 3 plus carat mahenge spinel on Swala's site. I requested an additional shot as the one online told so little. It is next to the 3 plus oval that is also available.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

hand_shot_11248_amp_ref_7740.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you plan to do with it? The marquise certainly has a vibrant colour, but the shape might be tricky to work with - do you like it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence?
Does it turn orange indoors (fluorescent lighting) or desaturate or whatever else?
Will the marquise shape challenge you in terms of setting and loving it for a long time to come?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I was told it does not go orange at all in various lighting conditions. The shape is not a problem for me, I think a well-executed marquise ring could be fabulous.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I love the colour on both, though the marquise has more red, so it depends what you like. A marquise ring in that WOW colour would certainly be a statement! 14 mm is pretty long - which direction would you set it?

Is either one screaming your name? Aside from what anyone here might say?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Erin! :wavey:

I'll be honest and say that I never cared for marquise shapes until your thread on them, where in ring after ring you showed how amazing they look when E/W. Now I can't stop thinking about some kind of ring like the ones in your thread.

For me, hands down its the marquise. It is an exquisite color and IMO, these days, a much harder color to find - more like Chrono's and TL's spinels. The combination of that stone with some of your winning marquise shape ring ideas would be phenomenal. Marquise all the way!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love marquise as you don't see them often and because people naturally gravitate away from them, they can be really affordable! Yeah!

Now then, I love the red in the marquise with the lighter pink in the middle BUT I would ask Eric a question because the clarity at both ends of the marquise looks sleepy / opaque rather than transparent. In some lighting conditions that will add to the beauty but is it something that will bother you?

Strangely, whilst I'm tolerate with inclusions, I'm not tolerant with sleepy stones because I always want to clean the sleepiness away (which of course never works!!!!!). That would be my only hesitation with the marquise.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the marquise is a great red color. But it will be easier to design a ring around the oval ( which is still a great color, just more pink than red).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to love the marquise but.....I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it is just a bad picture but it just doesn't look lively.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono--

I know what you mean. Shape is not a concern for me in this case (I could make it work and be fabulous), and the saturation is awesome. However, there is a heaviness or sleepiness to it in that picture that makes me pause. And the description given on it doesn't assuage this:

Oval: Hot pink color. Although with eye visible inclusion transparency is not affected. It is very lively gem.
Marquise: This gem has richer color - darker reddish pink. More settled less sparkly.

I think I came the mahenge party about three years too late. Especially for a three plus carat stone :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erin,
Are you in the US? Have you considered Prima Gems in NJ?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono--

I have, and I had a spinel sent to me a little while ago. It was very pretty, but it had a visible inclusion, and some issues with extinction--I would have kept it with one or the other, but both tipped the scale. I have bought and sent back two stones (a chrysoberyl and a mahenge) without keeping any purchases, so I am feeling guilty about taking more of their time. :oops:

I know what I like, and I am willing to pay for it, but I try not to keep the on the fence stones as my budget is relatively modest. I would rather have a couple fantastic stones than a whole bunch of "close enough" ones.

They will be coming round my neck of the woods soon, so I will check out their stock in person.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Probably best to tell Prima to bring what you are looking for...right Chrono? I assume they don't pack-up their entire inventory and bring it to shows.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CC,
You are right about contacting Prima before heading out to the show.

Erin,
I presume Prima sent you pictures of the spinel before shipping? Was the inclusion and extinction not noticeable in the picture? Don't feel bad about returns. His job is to make a sale. What I feel bad is your shipping cost and time to send it back. When going for a fine quality stone with a realistic budget, you shouldn't settle for close enough.

When I shopped with Prima (on two occasions), for the first one, he sent me a few stones to pick from after I sent him example pictures of the colour I am looking for, including the criteria of characteristics the stone must meet (eye clean, fluoro is a must, no orange shift, etc). For the second transaction, again, I sent him example pictures of what I am looking for. In both cases, the examples are stones that he had sold in the past with excellent colour, clarity and the whole 9 yards so he knew the quality I wanted. Words get missed in translation and before I sent him an example of a past stone, he suggested some not so nice stones. Nice but not close enough.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color but it is hard to tell how much sparkle or glow the spinel possesses in your pics. If you can find the right setting it would definately make a statement with that eye-popping color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results