shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first 'adult' ring...where to start

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of us wear our jewellery lightly; only for work and nights out. This opens up your options greatly. Your trial ring looks great; inexpensive, nice looking and good finger coverage. I don't think switching out the stone will be as easy as you think though. 17 x 16 mm is very large (aka will cost $$$$$) and it isn't a calibrated size so it may take several months to find the right replacement stone. The bulk of the cost of this ring is the setting itself. Also, note that this is a lightweight ring; the 4.84 g includes the weight of the diamonds and topaz so the setting itself might only weight 1g at best.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy...thanks for the encouragement. I really like this as a starter ring and placed the order just now :)

Chrono...if it has your seal of approval, I know I've selected the right one, so thank you :appl:

Sharon, thank you for the link. That is an incredibly pretty stone...but it just doesn't sing to me. I think I like slightly bigger and blockier rings.

Speaking of bigger and blockier, I ended up having a few spare hours after my Chicago meeting and was able to head over to the gem show. It was at once overwhelming and super tacky. The amount of 'bad rings and junk' there was incredible, but there were a few super nice booths. I found a nice pear aquamarine (but needed a thicker band) and these two beauties, but one was yellow gold and the other sat too high, so I passed.

I did try on an absolutely stunning emerald cut and halo diamond ring, but it was $16k...so I quietly slunk away after deciding that my kitchen renovation was probably more important :angryfire: But I am really ticked that I didn't take a picture....it was the perfect size and proportion for my hands. :wall:

But thank you everyone for your help...not only is my first real ring on order, but I now know enough to know what a bad ring looks like. Now I just need to get more comfortable spending real money on jewelery...and to be able to spot good deals!

_25187.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima Gems is a vendor we recommend a lot. They have really nice gemstones. The settings are pretty eh, even though they've branched out into nicer ones. The first time I went to the booth, as soon as they heard "Pricescope," they were all "oh my god, don't look at the already set jewelry, that's of no interest to you." Vance Gems is another good one for gemstones, and their set jewelry is usually pretty nice. I have multiple stones from both those vendors. They are both super-nice and will explain anything to you, teach you stuff about gemstones, show you cool stuff even when you have no intention of buying, etc.

Mostly for already-set jewelry I just look at the estate sellers and the Andrew Sarosi booth. 95% of the stuff at the gem show is not geared toward people like us who are detail-oriented and want high quality, I think.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Distracts....thank you SO much for those recommendations. There were so many booths, I didn't know where to start. If they had a ton of premade jewelery, I just walked on. And I was terrified of buying a ring that would end up being poor quality and not being able to return it, that I mostly just browsed. It was interesting, though. I spoke to one vendor who said the quality for the Chicago show, in particular, has really gone downhill (now includes t-shirts, purses) because there are a number of competing shows.

Hopefully Boston/Marlborough isn't the same. If anyone wants to come help me buy another ring in March, I'll buy the coffee :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1418487675|3800564 said:
Speaking of bigger and blockier, I ended up having a few spare hours after my Chicago meeting and was able to head over to the gem show. It was at once overwhelming and super tacky. The amount of 'bad rings and junk' there was incredible, but there were a few super nice booths. I found a nice pear aquamarine (but needed a thicker band) and these two beauties, but one was yellow gold and the other sat too high, so I passed.

Sorry for the thread jack, but thanks!! I almost went this year and every year it's more about fake designer clothes and handbags than actual nice gems and jewelry. The price of parking in Rosemont (where the Intergem Chicago show is held), and getting into that building, doesn't sound like its worth it.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
TL...there was another show that Studio Sterling Works said was a big competitor...and unfortunately, I can't remember the name! Studio mentioned that it was becoming harder and harder to break even at the shows. He mentioned that it was, it the past, a networking event to find a good distributor or a good wholesaler...preventing a trip to Asia, etc..so the value, even if it wasn't monetary, was worth it. But, he said, with the dawn of the internet, it was becoming pretty easy to begin these long distance business relationships from afar, and that the real value of coming to the shows was diminishing. He wasn't being mean or nasty in saying this, more a running commentary. And honestly, I have felt the same about a major antique show that I visit (Brimfield)..that the quality is diminishing and more 'junk' is taking over. So his comments rung true.

Studio Sterling Works had some very nice, inexpensive costume jewelry...very David Yurman looking. I passed on a bracelet for which I am now kicking myself, and they don't seem to have a website (grr). Anyways, in regards to the show..yes, parking was expensive, but it was nice to see a lot of different vendors at once. I had the same thought about wasting money, but I justified it that I would have spent as much on an expensive lunch ($26, which included valet parking)...so I was okay with it!

Distracts....wow, I didn't catch your comment about Prima during my first response. Thank you for reinforcing my 'gut' about their quality (hmm, maybe I am better at this bling stuff than I thought). Geoffrey was super nice, very patient, very educational, with absolutely no pressure (and heck, I hadn't even mentioned pricescope). My kind of retailer that makes me want to return! I really should make my way down to NYC and visit them and IDJ!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Minor Threadjack:
TL & any other Chicago PSers:
I"m heading to Intergem today. I haven't been there before so I have nothing to compare it to. I was planning on Prima being my first stop. Hope to be at the booth at 11:30am.
I'm going with a non PS friend, so if any PSers plan on going I would love to meet up. Rosebloom was supposed to join me but has the flu, poor girl :nono: I have one available free pass to get in. If you park at the CTA lot just up the street it's only $5 to park I think.
TL since we have met we might recognize each other. I know it's been a few years.
If anyone wants to use the pass I can meet you at the will call desk. Just reply in this thread.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Woof...if you do go, would you have any interest in getting a picture of my 'bling ring'?

When you walk in, IIRC, they were on the first aisle to the left of center, about 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the right. They had 3 cases, if I remember correctly, with a blue banner (I may be wrong on the banner color). Staffed by a middle aged couple (Thai or Philippineno, maybe). Pretty high end stuff...first case (from the front) had some colored stone rings, a lot of the second case was a lot of mountings, the third case (towards the back) had a lot of colored stone stuff. My bling ring was, IIRC an diamond emerald cut with trillon sides, platinum, probably a size 7 or so. I think it was halo'ed, but I can't be 100% sure.

If you have the nerve, ask them if they talked to a woman Friday night (around 4:30-5:30) who was flying back to Boston and they gave me a 'flying home' price. It was $16k, IIRC (I don't think it was $26K...I remember it had a 6).

That ring is still on my mind...if you have a few extra minutes getting pictures, specs and contact information....and wouldn't mind doing this, I would owe you a coffee the next time I head to Chicago...I would greatly appreciate it!!!! If you want to focus on rings for you and/or can't find it, not to worry, I totally understand!

Jen

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
TechieTechie|1418568520|3800911 said:
Woof...if you do go, would you have any interest in getting a picture of my 'bling ring'?

When you walk in, IIRC, they were on the first aisle to the left of center, about 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the right. They had 3 cases, if I remember correctly, with a blue banner (I may be wrong on the banner color). Staffed by a middle aged couple (Thai or Philippineno, maybe). Pretty high end stuff...first case (from the front) had some colored stone rings, a lot of the second case was a lot of mountings, the third case (towards the back) had a lot of colored stone stuff. My bling ring was, IIRC an diamond emerald cut with trillon sides, platinum, probably a size 7 or so. I think it was halo'ed, but I can't be 100% sure.

If you have the nerve, ask them if they talked to a woman Friday night (around 4:30-5:30) who was flying back to Boston and they gave me a 'flying home' price. It was $16k, IIRC (I don't think it was $26K...I remember it had a 6).

That ring is still on my mind...if you have a few extra minutes getting pictures, specs and contact information....and wouldn't mind doing this, I would owe you a coffee the next time I head to Chicago...I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Jen

I'll try to find it and snap a pic :sun: I'm an EC diamond lover so I would love to see this ring. If I'm successful in finding it I'll post a pic in this thread for you when I get home.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
You're the best, Woof!!!!

I may have the ring specs a little off (it might be a cushion), but I am sure if you ask about the flying home woman, they will remember. I lingered quite a bit at that booth...and trust me, if it's there, you will want to see it. To my newbie eyes, it was pretty gorgeous.

If you could get their contact information, that would be great. Who knows, if you guys like it, I may reward myself down the road for surviving my house renovation :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Based on the color of your watch, I think a large blue topaz cocktail ring could be really cool. My second suggestion, for a durable stone in your price range would be a Montana sapphire.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1418562648|3800890 said:
Distracts....thank you SO much for those recommendations. There were so many booths, I didn't know where to start. If they had a ton of premade jewelery, I just walked on. And I was terrified of buying a ring that would end up being poor quality and not being able to return it, that I mostly just browsed. It was interesting, though. I spoke to one vendor who said the quality for the Chicago show, in particular, has really gone downhill (now includes t-shirts, purses) because there are a number of competing shows.

Hopefully Boston/Marlborough isn't the same. If anyone wants to come help me buy another ring in March, I'll buy the coffee :bigsmile:

Pretty sure the Boston/Marlborough show is in May. I remember this because it usually coincides with Mother's Day weekend :) The show after that is 4th of July weekend and more vendors are skipping it each year because too many lose money on it. I prefer the Chantilly (VA) shows over Marlborough.

I've been going to Intergem shows since the early 80's (back with the huge DC show) and agree these shows have declined and continue to do so. More junk and even much of the fine jewelry is overpriced and/or poor quality. For expensive purchases, I stick mostly with a handful of vendors that I've been doing business with for decades and a few that I've learned about here from here. Many of them are picking/choosing which shows they go to as well and some have dropped out altogether. The wholesale section is almost a waste of time as more vendors are disappearing or moving to the retail section where there is more traffic (and they can charge more). The wholesale section is still decent for buying beading supplies because my friend owns a store and gets great volume discounts.

Prima and Vance are great - they spend the time to educate without the hard sell and want you to love your purchase.

And back to topic - topaz is an excellent first stone and your ring looks like a good one!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1418566607|3800905 said:
Distracts....wow, I didn't catch your comment about Prima during my first response. Thank you for reinforcing my 'gut' about their quality (hmm, maybe I am better at this bling stuff than I thought). Geoffrey was super nice, very patient, very educational, with absolutely no pressure (and heck, I hadn't even mentioned pricescope). My kind of retailer that makes me want to return! I really should make my way down to NYC and visit them and IDJ!

Yeah, Geoffrey is great! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with them.

I've only been going to gem shows for about the past five years, so I can't say I've noticed a decline in the few years I've been going, but there's definitely not the best signal to noise ratio. Since I also do some silversmithing of my own, there are enough booths that have cabochons or interesting silver findings to make it worth it for me even if I'm not looking at fancy stuff - plus the local gem/geology/rockhound clubs, which are always fun to stop by. But still I'm visiting fewer than a dozen booths out of however many zillions there seem to be.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arlington Racetrack, just outside Chicago in Arlington Heights, also has an antique show, and you can find a lot of beautiful jewelry there, although no loose gems. There are some bead and finding shows too, but I have never gone. There is something called the "Smart gem and jewelry show" here at Navy Pier, but I believe it's only open to the trade.

http://www.smartjewelryshow.com/travel/chicago-navy-pier

I skipped the show last weekend, but thanks Woofmama for offering to meet up. I really do need to find a silver setting for a hard to fit semi-precious stone though and there's absolutely nothing online. I might have found something at Intergem, but for me, it's not worth the price of parking. I really wish they would move the show, as the Rosemont convention center is a pain to get inside of from the parking lot, and the sales tax rate is 10% which they try to enforce big time there. Any dealers getting caught selling without charging tax are in big trouble, even if you pay cash.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw - I wasn't trying to discourage you from attending the Marlborough/Boston show so much as manage expectation. Its still worth it to me even though, like distracts, I primarily use it to visit a handful of vendors (unless something catches my eye walking by).

If you love wearing your trial ring (which I hope you will) and decide what your next stone might me - it's often worth contacting Prima (or other vendors) ahead of time. Most of these vendors only bring a selection of what they have and likewise, don't show their entire inventory on-line. If they work with you ahead of time and know what you are looking for, they can bring a selection tailored for you. That's how I got my magenta mahenge from Prima.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results