shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a nice size certified Emerald

envoy9

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a newbie here, but I've been a reading a lot of your posts. I have a bit of time, but wanted to do some research for a big birthday purchase, and ideally a nice size Emerald that is certified. I read through the posts about reputable dealers and appreicate the info. First question here is among those, who would be the best ones for this type of stone? Second is that I am in the NYC area, so I could go to the Diamond district if there are recomendations. I've looked through the GemsNY site, and will not deal with them based on feedback on this forum, but I will say they have a great site with a huge selection of certified stones, so I wish there was someone more reputable that had simmilar offerings and search engines.

Finally, I have done business in the past with John from SimplySapphires. I see that he has this stone: http://www.simplysapphires.com/green/agta-certified-colombian-emerald-oval-15.04-carats-20.8x14.8x7.7mm?cPath=214& which looks to me like a huge value, although perhaps not as great a sparkle by the pics. I would be interested in hearing feedback/thoughts on this one for potential.

Thanks for your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good: very shallow so it faces up huge
The bad: it is so shallow that it looks dead. This is why 15 ct is only $4K. If it weren't so included, you would see your hand through almost 80% of the stone.

envoy9

Rough_Rock
OK... so I get it that it's cheap because it is not a great. I'm not really looking for a 15ct rock anyway.... I'd rather spend a similar amount of money and get something nicer (albeit far from perfect) in the 3-5ct range. It's too bad John does not have much, but I guess that's why he calls it "Simply Sapphires"... so anyway, where are the best sites or NYC area stores that would have a good selection of certified Emeralds like I'm looking for. I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
envoy9|1382648334|3543921 said:
OK... so I get it that it's cheap because it is not a great. I'm not really looking for a 15ct rock anyway.... I'd rather spend a similar amount of money and get something nicer (albeit far from perfect) in the 3-5ct range. It's too bad John does not have much, but I guess that's why he calls it "Simply Sapphires"... so anyway, where are the best sites or NYC area stores that would have a good selection of certified Emeralds like I'm looking for. I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

This dealer is in NYC, and as far as I know, he's very expert on Colombian emeralds. He will also get them AGL reports if requested.

http://serenity-diamonds.com/

I don't believe all his available stock is listed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There also seems to be consistently good results of members here buying from Embassyemeralds. So when you've seen a bunch in person and feel comfortable buying online, that it one more option for you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1382658649|3544041 said:
envoy9|1382648334|3543921 said:

Thanks!

This dealer is in NYC, and as far as I know, he's very expert on Colombian emeralds. He will also get them AGL reports if requested.

http://serenity-diamonds.com/

I don't believe all his available stock is listed.

OMG, his emerals are beautiful! :love: :love: :love:

I wish I'd come across him before I bought my little cushion-shaped emeralds. Now, I feel stupid! :knockout:

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
After digging into emeralds the best advice I can give you is assume its oiled, see it in person, or buy from someone with an exceptional return policy. Emerald is the hardest stone to photograph in my opinion in not only capturing the correct color but the true face up look of the stone.

fel

Shiny_Rock
The thing I love about my emerald is the glow. It is very hard to see this in photos, but in person you can't miss it. My emerald was not considered particularly valuable when I got it (it's about 2 carats, appraised at $800, when emeralds were cheaper), and it has a window, but the glow makes up for everything. It is in my avatar along with the brown diamond.

Anyway, I'd suggest you look for that in your search.

Fel

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jim Rentfrow|1383269748|3548471 said:
After digging into emeralds the best advice I can give you is assume its oiled, see it in person, or buy from someone with an exceptional return policy. Emerald is the hardest stone to photograph in my opinion in not only capturing the correct color but the true face up look of the stone.

I would go one further, and just assume clarity enhancement, whether it's oil or some type of polymer or resin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results