shape
carat
color
clarity

Burma Red Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this in Tucson when I realized I did not bring enough $ power for the spessie cab I had set my head on.

In retrospect, I should have held off on this until I could go bigger. To compound my 'mistake,' I bought two half moon diamonds, color E, SI, to flank it.

The spinel is just about 1.5 ct. My camera is not good to show the cut, which is pretty nice. I asked for/received 10% of the listed price. Never hurts to politely ask, they can always respond no and you can decide then.

So I'm hoping it will make a pretty ring or necklace with those two super-white half moons. I need one of those jeweler's trays to show the stones setting upright in the design position. I looked all over for one at Kent's Tools but no luck.

stonieredspinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one picture?
38.gif
9.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
how much would such a colour cost in $$/ct ?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yummy! I love the colour of red Burma spinel.

Do you plan to orient the stone N-S or E-w? depending on your finger size, I think E-W would look very interestins and cover the width of the finger with the half moons.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will look superb with the two half moons.

A suggestion for you to see how it will look (and take photos
2.gif
). In the UK we have something called Blutack it''s a sticky substance that you can put on the wall and hang up pieces of paper etc. Hope you know what I mean? Anyway, put three blobs of Blutack on a table and then press your gems gently onto the top - voila!!!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovingdiamonds: Excellent idea. I will go to the hobby shop and get some, that should work well and also safe for the stones too.

Mark, do you mean the cost per carat?

Lady D: Funny you write that. I picked out the half moon diamonds with the spinel vertical (N-S) but once I got it home I liked it better E-W.

I figure setting with 18kt gold, yellow?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Inner kitten, your avatar is so cute! I always smile when I see it!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice!

I really don''t think that the half moon diamonds were a mistake. What ct weight or mm size are the diamonds? How does that compare to the Spinel? I''m checking out proportions here.

You mean E/W with a half moon on each "end" of the Spinel? That''s what I''m trying to picture.

TFS!!
21.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Stone Hunter:

The half-moon diamonds are 0.17 each, E color and SI. The details say "4.1 x 2.5"

I''d originally thought I''d set them with the red spinel in a N-S orientation but now like the look of E-W, a half moon diamond on each end.

The spinel:

4.9 x 7.5 x 4.3.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s really pretty.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 5:50:40 PM
Author: StonieGrl

Mark, do you mean the cost per carat?

?

hi StonieGrl
yeah i was curious to the cost per carat for your spinel (wonderful colour =) )
if you dont mind sharing, that would be great!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful color. That stone should look great with the diamond half moons. Looking forward to seeing all your completed projects.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That really is a very nice color..looks good and solid

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 7:34:06 PM
Hi Stone Hunter:

The half-moon diamonds are 0.17 each, E color and SI. The details say ''4.1 x 2.5''

I''d originally thought I''d set them with the red spinel in a N-S orientation but now like the look of E-W, a half moon diamond on each end.

The spinel:

4.9 x 7.5 x 4.3.
I think that''s going to look very cool. Have you measured your fingers in mm to see how much space you have to work with? Even if it goes between the fingers a little that''d still be a cool setting.

12.5 mm of stones set that way! Thinking that the half moons flat side will go against the Spinel.
21.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loooove the idea of setting your lovely stone east-west with half moons! That''s going to be lovely!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can we see a pic with the half moons by it to have an idea of proprtion?

It is a diviine color and would look awesome with such colorless diamonds next to it.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like to see that setting myself---E-W with half moons on each end/flat side to flat end---I''ll go to the hobby store and get some of that sticky stuff and see what I can set up.

I have long fingers and I have enough width, especially if I don''t lay off the salt anymore!!!!

Mark, I''ll dig out the sales receipt. But I do remember that spinel was HIGH at the show, I wanted a bigger spinel and I don''t know what came over me when I bought this one, I normally like a bigger stone but I liked the cut/color on this one. Then while I was not in my right mind, I walked by the diamond booth, dang it, and the rest is money out of my wallet, LOL.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:58:44 PM

Mark, I''ll dig out the sales receipt..

hi
would you be able to share the $/carat on such a red colour stone?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mark:

I''m wondering about something: I don''t believe I''ve seen cost of the stones in all the time I''ve been here. Really, no discussion on setting costs either other than LOGR settings.

May I ask my cohorts here, would disclosing the cost start something unpleasant?

If it would, I''ll beg off, Mark, with apologies.

If it wouldn''t, I''ll share.

I will wait to see what the PS community thinks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d say it''s up to you. Also, if the vendor is known to the community, I''d also consider his/her perspective.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Good point, Harriet, re vendor.

The vendor of this stone is a large company who shall remain unnamed. No one to get hurt here, not that anything negatory is in the offing.

This spinel was $195/ct after receiving a very small discount.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results