shape
carat
color
clarity

Brown Pinkish Orange! Not an FCD, an FCS!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So, I bought this lovely Fancy Colored Sapphire from Gene at Precision Gems back in October, I've attached his original pic. When I got it, I was in my fluorescent office, and it looked kinda brown, exactly like the second pic which I color adjusted. I wasn't sure I cared for it. How could Gene's pic, which are always so accurate, be so far off? Then a light bulb went off in my head (pun!), and I tried it in incandescent light. Boy, was it pink! SOOOOOO pink, like the nicest pink sapphire I've ever seen. A significant change and I love color change stones, so I decided to keep it.

I sent it to AGL labs, and they dubbed it Brown Pinkish Orange. Which I guess that is what they saw. For me it varies like crazy. From ruby red in a darkish restaurant (my companions just thought it was a ruby!), to brownish with green (!) flashes in the car, to bright copper penny in most lights, to a burgundy, an orange and sometimes even a pinkish orangish pad. I've included a bunch of pics to show it's moods, one was color adjusted to show the orange tone, which WILL NOT PHOTOGRAPH for me. :razz: . It's fun to wear because you don't know what it will be next. Lord, I love these color shifters/changers!

I wanted to set it, so I contacted ID Jewelry, and they offered to go around the corner and pick up the stone from AGL! I thought that was remarkably nice of them (the AGL building is a pain to get in and out of, so much security) and I told AGL to release it to them. It saved me shipping it back from AGL, then back up to NYC. AGL also said it was unheated and untreated, exactly as Gene said.

_19629.jpg

copper2.jpg

_19630.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to set it, so I contacted ID Jewelry, and they offered to go around the corner and pick up the stone from AGL! I thought that was remarkably nice of them (the AGL building is a pain to get in and out of, so much security) and I told AGL to release it to them. It saved me shipping it back from AGL, then back up to NYC.

When IDJ got it, they were concerned because of the shape, they felt an oval halo (sorry, I just love a good halo) wouldn't fit the odd shape. Yuketiel suggested a rectangular emerald shaped halo, and Luann (who has the patience of a saint) sent me dozens of pics to consider. I really wanted an oval, so she suggested getting a plain metal mock up made and testing it. I picked a shape that I liked (see pic), it was delicate and elegant. Best of all, it's a cast setting, so IDJ would have to select the individual diamonds for it.

I LOOOOOVVVEE when they select the diamonds! As you can see from the pic, they select superior diamonds, you can almost see the hearts and arrows, mega sparkle. Luann said that Yuketiel was very worried about setting it, with the tiny flanges, so he set it himself, very carefully. I think, in the end, it could also have been set as in an emerald halo. I'd be interested if other PSer's have set one of this cut, from Gene, as an emerald.

So I have a dainty ring, which is changes constantly, and sparkles like mad. I've included a pic of it with my blue sapphire in a 1 carat halo, to show the size difference of the halos. The stone fit into a standard 5 x 7 oval setting, and the halo is made up of 10 5 pointers, total 1/2 carat weight. I think IDJ has excellent customer service and Gene cuts the best stones.

_19631.jpg

_19632.jpg

hasetting.jpg

finalset1.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Here are some color variations in different lights.

_19633.jpg

wholefinger2.jpg

_19634.jpg

carcolor.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely fabulous. That is my all-time favorite style of ring, so I'm drooling over here. Love the color of the sapphire, too. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stunning! :love:

cheers--Sharon

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is a very cool and beautiful stone, love how the setting came together! Very pretty!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Triumph, iLander! Color-changers are just endlessly fascinating -- it's great in all its outfits. I see what you mean about IDJ's diamonds, too -- incredible sparklers & clean. Beautiful job all around!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Malaya garnet like that. It was brown in fluorescent and incandescent, and pinkish orange in daylight.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Malaya means the unfaithful wife in the language as the mayalan garnet always changes face

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun! I like all the color changes your sapphire exhibits.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@derbygal: Me, too! I'm a sucker for a halo :love:

@canuk-gal and woofmama:
Thank you for the kind words! :)

@Laurie:
I love these color shifty-things, so interesting. IDJ has excellent prices, too, BTW. ;-)

@TL: I have that same type of garnet. But the saturation on the sapphire is much stronger, and the refractive sparkles are flashier. You should start a color changers thread, I'd love to see your garnet. :appl:

@treasurehunter:
That's fascinating, I didn't know that. :-o

@LisaRN: I'm just glad the dull brown only shows up when I'm in the car. :???:

@IndyLady:
Thank you, that's nice of you to say! :bigsmile:

Just wanted to clarify, :wavey: that it's mostly these two colors, 95% of the time; orangey and deep pink. For some reason, when you try to photograph it from the front, it shows up burgundy :confused:. I feel sorry for dealers that have to sell and photograph gemstones. :knockout:

_19745.jpg

_19746.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is one gorgeous ring and halo iLander! :love:
Well done to all parties involved. Gorgeous!!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1404339790|3705511 said:
Wow, this is one gorgeous ring and halo iLander! :love:
Well done to all parties involved. Gorgeous!!!

Thanks, Missy! :wavey:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely iLander. Love the halo stones and setting and the pretty colour change - a ring you will never tire of!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea that IDJ offered that service. It looks like the perfect home for your stone!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Starzin! :wavey:

Pregcurious, yes, they've set all 3 of my rings and one pendant for me. I can't beat :wall: their prices or their diamond quality anywhere else.

Yay! New emoties! :drool:

gups

Rough_Rock
Hi iLander! I know this is an older thread, but I just signed up to the Pricescope forums, and am in the process of looking for a ring. I like the oval setting that you chose for your Sapphire (which is stunning, btw) from IDJ ( the one with 10 5 pointers). I have no idea about the costs, etc., so could you tell me approximately how much a setting like that should cost? Thank you for your input!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
gups|1438276148|3909064 said:
Hi iLander! I know this is an older thread, but I just signed up to the Pricescope forums, and am in the process of looking for a ring. I like the oval setting that you chose for your Sapphire (which is stunning, btw) from IDJ ( the one with 10 5 pointers). I have no idea about the costs, etc., so could you tell me approximately how much a setting like that should cost? Thank you for your input!

From IDJ, this setting was only $800. That includes "Pricescope quality" diamonds, which are extremely well cut, F color, SI in clarity. That also includes sizing the ring and setting the stone. They usually do claw prongs if you ask, but this stone was a funky shape and needed blobby prongs.

I've always been thrilled with their diamond quality and their pricing is very good. Price might have gone up a little since I had this set, but probably not much. If you call, mention Pricescope.

Best of luck to you! :wavey:

gups

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your prompt response, iLander! That is a great price, and I like the idea of the "PS" quality diamonds. The ones you have look great!

In fact, I am going to IDJ later today to look at settings. They are also going to show be some blue Sapphires. I will be sure to mention Pricescope!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
gups|1438278199|3909084 said:
Thank you for your prompt response, iLander! That is a great price, and I like the idea of the "PS" quality diamonds. The ones you have look great!

In fact, I am going to IDJ later today to look at settings. They are also going to show be some blue Sapphires. I will be sure to mention Pricescope!

Don't commit to any very expensive sapphires (from anyone, even our beloved IDJ) without an AGL testing certificate. AGL is very cheap (mine was only $60) for small stones, but it will disclose all treatments, even those that fool jewelers. Check the AGL website for testing cost per carat.

They have an assortment of settings there, in many trays, but the ones they custom make (like mine) blow those out of the water. They are stunning, and they hand pick the best diamonds for you. :appl:

I envy you going there today, it is a treasure trove! :love: :love: Make sure you have their current address, they moved a few months back.

Lucky dog!

gups

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, iLander. I am a complete newbie to the process, and just from a quick perusal of this forum, I have found Pricescope to be a wonderful resource of information from users like you.

The tip about AGL testing is a good one, especially since they are on the same block. Thx!

iLander|1438278588|3909087 said:
gups|1438278199|3909084 said:

Don't commit to any very expensive sapphires (from anyone, even our beloved IDJ) without an AGL testing certificate. AGL is very cheap (mine was only $60) for small stones, but it will disclose all treatments, even those that fool jewelers. Check the AGL website for testing cost per carat.

They have an assortment of settings there, in many trays, but the ones they custom make (like mine) blow those out of the water. They are stunning, and they hand pick the best diamonds for you. :appl:

I envy you going there today, it is a treasure trove! :love: :love: Make sure you have their current address, they moved a few months back.

Lucky dog!

gups

Rough_Rock
Quick question, iLander - Did IDJ custom design your ring form scratch or did they just get the setting from a place like Unique Settings and set it with their own diamonds? Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey iLander! :wavey: I can't believe I missed this the first time around. I love how you set the stone. I love how it changes in different lightings. Its like you have multiple gorgeous rings - and they all look awesome on your hand. :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
gups said:
Quick question, iLander - Did IDJ custom design your ring form scratch or did they just get the setting from a place like Unique Settings and set it with their own diamonds? Thanks!

They can do either one, but I am a cheapskate and prefer "semi-custom". Which means they ordered it from Adwar, (the round with the blue sapphire is Unique Settings of New York) had it cast for me, and set it themselves. The picture you see of the stone in the setting without diamonds is a dummy that Adwar mocked up for me to look at, it's pot metal, and it was included with the cost of the setting. It helped me to visualize the final result. They are very helpful at IDJ.

They can do the whole CAD thing, to your custom design if you like, but I like to just look through the catalogs and pick one. Then it only takes a week! ;-)

And -this is a secret, so don't tell anyone :shhh: - I'm not sure all these fancy PS custom settings look all that different than semi-custom. And saving several thousand dollars is worth it to me. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1438281036|3909102 said:
Hey iLander! :wavey: I can't believe I missed this the first time around. I love how you set the stone. I love how it changes in different lightings. Its like you have multiple gorgeous rings - and they all look awesome on your hand. :))

Hi Minous! :wavey: How's things? I hope all is good for you! :appl:

It's a crazy little stone, always changing.

I just love me those halos, I have to say. I wish I could get a halo that looked even more flower like, though. Like the antique rings. A few diamonds around the stone, like petals. IDJ is offering to do a custom one for me for the Gene ruby, but custom always sounds so complicated ::) to me. But I don't have to worry about it yet, I've got to send it off to AGL first.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Confection10|1438282766|3909115 said:
Delicious. I love the color combination of sapphire and white diamonds :love:

Thank you! :wavey:

gups

Rough_Rock
Hi iLander. Just got back from IDJ. They showed me a cast which had 12 5 pointers instead of 10 in 14kt white gold. They quoted around $1,000 for that, which sounds reasonable. May be $50 more than it should be, but in the ballpark. Was yours 14kt or 18kt white gold? Thank you!

iLander|1438283821|3909125 said:
gups said:

They can do either one, but I am a cheapskate and prefer "semi-custom". Which means they ordered it from Adwar, (the round with the blue sapphire is Unique Settings of New York) had it cast for me, and set it themselves. The picture you see of the stone in the setting without diamonds is a dummy that Adwar mocked up for me to look at, it's pot metal, and it was included with the cost of the setting. It helped me to visualize the final result. They are very helpful at IDJ.

They can do the whole CAD thing, to your custom design if you like, but I like to just look through the catalogs and pick one. Then it only takes a week! ;-)

And -this is a secret, so don't tell anyone :shhh: - I'm not sure all these fancy PS custom settings look all that different than semi-custom. And saving several thousand dollars is worth it to me. :bigsmile:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a neat stone with all the color shifting and different looks. The setting is perfect for it, too. Enjoy it!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results