shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire in NY

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Hope everyone is doing well.

I am still hunting for the blue sapphire that I will fall in love with. Since I am in NY and NY has so many jewelers, I am thinking of visiting some local stores. After few purchase/returns, I know what I am looking for, hopefully I am getting closer.

Can PSers share your trusted NY vendors and your experiences? Thank you thank you!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
No promises, but this is where I got my ruby, with GIA papers:
Jean's Silversmiths
16 West 45th Street
212-575-0723
Be sure to call ahead, as I am sure they have shortened summer hours. They are basically a wonderful used-silver store but they do have a small jewelry section. I have been dealing with them for silver for nearly half a century and their silver prices are the best. I think I got a bargain on my ruby; they had just two of them at the time. Who knows, maybe they will have a bargain sapphire or two for you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
This is where I purchased my Ceylon sapphire earrings, largely because he specializes in sapphires and I really like the simplicity of his work-

Albert's Fine Jewelry, Inc.
One West 47th Street
Street Level N.Y. N.Y.10036

No appointment necessary, family owned and managed. If you find something you like, he will definitely work with you on pricing. Have fun and good luck!!!

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Chrono, Wow. Some of the prices are way over the top! Are any of these :praise: more reasonably priced or willing to negotiate?

RandG, boerumdiddy, will definitely visit your recommendations!

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please point out several that you feel are much too expensive? There are usually reasons why some stones are priced MUCH more than others and I hope to provide some clarity as to the pricing structure, if possible. Nuances in colour sets the primary price, then treatment (unheated, heated, diffused, clarity enhanced, etc), carat weight, clarity and to some degree, cut.

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Chrono, I don't mean to say all the sites you gave are very expensive. The natural sapphire comapny's sapphires gave me a pause. I know the unheated commands 30-50% adjustment but wasn't expecting close to doubling.

I plan to visit Diamond by Lauren since they seem to have good inventory and reasonable price.

Thanks so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't blame you for being surprised at NSC's pricing; most regulars know that NSC is one of the more expensive vendors, probably due to having higher overhead amongst other factors. I hear that they do give discounts regularly though. To me, their niche is more for those who want to see and handle many sapphires in one location, and get the stone and setting package done all at once and within a tight time frame.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results