shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire in Antique Setting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one ring where I've constantly debated internally whether to keep it or sell it. I purchased the setting from Pearlman's because it was so cute and inexpensive for a PT setting. It sat empty for the longest time needing a small stone and just last year or so, I found the right blue sapphire for it. The problem lies in that it's not the ring for me. I think it very pretty but every time I open the vault, I favour other rings over this one.

It sounds very straightforward, doesn't it? So why have I not listed for sale? Because I think the sapphire is fabulous and unheated to boot. If I tried to buy it today, pricing will be at least 3x what I paid for it, not to mention the very high price of metals today.

What do you think? Sell or keep? Although I may not wear it, I think it'll be a very pretty gift for any young lady that joins our family in the future, be it a DIL or granddaughter.

antique_blue_sapphire.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Keep it

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is actually cut very beautifully. It has large chunky faceting very similar to old cut diamonds.

antique_blue_sapphire_1.jpg

antique_blue_sapphire_2.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono--

If you are not in need of the funds from the sale of this ring, I would keep it. You have children, right? If you have a daughter, what a lovely 18th or 21st birthday present. Or you could gift it to a granddaughter one day.

It's a beautiful sapphire and I am sure many on this board would hop on its sale in 2 seconds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, VL, that was not only quick but decisive! :bigsmile:

antique_blue_sapphire_3.jpg

antique_blue_sapphire_4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erin,
I do have children but they are boys who would not wear such a ring. Of course I would hope for granddaughters one day, so that's at least one good reason to keep it. I am not in need of funds from the sale of this ring but if I decide to sell it, I know it will sell quickly, which is a bonus.

Last picture attached. The sapphire is not colour zoned, it is just the light play showing some darker and lighter areas. Zero extinction. This sapphire is nothing but brightness. The setting has 2 single cut melees on each shoulder.

antique_blue_sapphire_5.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Heck, it could serve as a future daughter in laws something borrowed, something blue!

And I cannot tell you how touched and grateful I would be if my grandmother had such a ring to give me.

But I have a lot of "hoarder" in my DNA!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think its stunning, I just love the color of that stone. But if it's not for you and you aren't wearing it, I would sell it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with your gut on this one.

If you feel that selling it will get it to its rightful home, then do so. If it calls to you and feels like it needs to stay within your circle, then keep it. I have come to realize that with many of my stones, I would be happy if I knew it was cherished and loved beyond me - that is, to sell or give away, which is what I've done a few times. I have my grandmothers and great grandmothers rings that I just don't wear and I think, especially in this hard time, that I could sell them and use the proceeds for something. But I feel like its wrong, so I won't.

With all that said, how do you feel? You don't need us to say its pretty - you know that!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be your granddaughter. Give it to me. :lol:

Seriously, if you don't need the funds and don't fully want to part with it, don't sell it. It will be a lovely family ring to give to someone special.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pull the sapphire and sell the setting.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I agree, keep the stone, sell the setting, and keep looking for a setting you love.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erin,
I can only hope that my future DIL and GDD share my tastes and would love and cherish this ring.

Stargurl,
It is too beautiful to part with and that is a part of my problem. :cheeky: I'm worried I'm going to regret it at the last minute then want to look for another stone like this and end up paying 3x more, if I can even find something of like quality.

Minou,
That's exactly why I started this thread. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to part with it, yet think it's a waste to have it sitting in the vault unworn. It feels different from my other unset stones because I can use that as an excuse - they are unset which equals to zero guilt. :lol:

Jane,
If you are my DIL or GDD, I would gladly give it to you because I know you have such a passion for gems and would love it for years to come.

MZ and Elms,
I had not considered removing the stone and setting it. I suppose it's because I purchased the setting first. If I do so, then I'll have a second "problem". I am unlikely to want to spend $ on such a small stone which I know I'll never wear in the first place.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Just because you don't use something does not mean it shouldn't have a place in your collection. I have an Adam Fuss snake photogram about ten years now, still unframed in my flat files. Though It is not on my wall, I have no interest in parting with it. My father had a 1953 Jaguar for nearly 25 years. In all he might have driven it 50 times. He restored it and kept it in mint condition. Alas, it did not come down to me. Things can have meaning if we give meaning to them. What may be only a nice lump of metal and stone to you could be imbued with intent and sentiment in holding on to something special for someone special down the road. Lovely unheated sapphires will not become more common in the future. I so would have liked to have that car.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, of course my first selfish thought is sell it to meeeeeee! I wouldn't even have to size it, lol. That is a beautiful ring and a STUNNING colour, one that I personally have been trying to source at a reasonable price point all year. Which leads me to my next point...

The hoarder in me says keep it, especially if you think you might live to regret it.

It's tricky, though, the whole passing-down thing. A lot of people have started to talk about how lucky my daughter is going to be someday, but I also have two sons, so don't think it would be fair to leave everything to her (not to mention a niece I love). But just because I love gems doesn't mean all the young ladies in my future will in the same way. Not to be negative, but I also try to anticipate everything. What if I give something really special to my daughter when she turns, say, 21, and she loses it? How will I feel? Then again, it could be passed down for generations.

What if you unset and put some nice diamonds on the side, to make it into a 3-stone?

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So it seems to me that the size of the stone is the reason you don't wear it. And while the stone is of such quality I think it could stand alone, I understand if its not your style.

I really like NKOTB's suggestion of unsetting it and putting it in a three stone ring to give the small sapphire a bit more "umph." I like the idea of diamonds, but what about two more pale blue sapphires that were slightly smaller than your current blue sapphire. A sapphire three stone ring!

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Chrono, that is a lovely ring. May I ask what dimensions it has and what number of carats?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It's really a nice stone. I think saving it for a future family member is a fun idea.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire is fabulous. Keep that -- it obviously talks to you. Sell the setting if you want. You can use the sapphire in a 3-stone or something else that may occur to you.

Since you're reluctant to sell the stone (you could always GIVE it to me, I'll be your forever best friend 8-) ), it isn't time to do so, Chrono. If you keep it a while longer you'll look at it sometime & know right away that you want either to sell it or use it. Sort of similar to what I do with leftovers I'm not nuts about -- I leave them in the fridge till they're old enough that I don't feel guilty throwing 'em away. :lol: I'm sure you'll see it in a bit & make a decision easily.

--- Laurie

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I love the whole thing together, stone, setting, and all. But if you love the stone and not the setting, it seems the best choice is to keep the stone for a reset and sell the setting. (To me.) :tongue:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RSS,
I can only hope that any future females will treasure it. My boys love gems and it is a pity males are limited as to what is socially acceptable to wear. As I am writing this, a thought occurred to me. My boys can still wear this if they so wish later in life. I would have no issues at all if they reset it as a stud or man's ring. :idea:

VL,
As always, you give me something to mull over. You made very good points about unheated sapphires becoming less common and also how an object, although not used or seen often, can still reside in a very special place in our hearts.

OTL,
Actually, I sort of like the setting too. I deliberately bought it for the single cut melees. ::)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB,
We also share the same finger size? Wow, I never realized it. I think deep down, I might be a hoarder too. :lol: It is very difficult for me to part with my gems, even the mediocre ones. I also worry that the recipient may not share the same gem passion as I do and so not take good care of it. This concern becomes greater when it involves my higher end pieces! Ah well, I'll deal with it when the time approaches.

Elms,
I'm not sure a 3 stone ring will work. For the proportions to look right, the sides stones have to be fairly small which doesn't do much to increase finger real estate.

CYIW,
The blue sapphire is 1 ct on the dot and measures 5.8 mm, just shy of 6 mm. I don't know about the setting because it was purchased at least 6 years ago.

IN,
The suggestion of saving it for a family member in the future sounds more and more appealing. I think the small size might be a great option for a man's ring. It's tone is the perfect candidate for a bezel or gypsy set ring.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it sounds to me like you want to keep it. Also, you've only had the combo together for a year. Just because you haven't reached for it a lot in that time doesn't mean you won't at some point down the road. Tastes and lifestyles change, you might find this is one of your favourites at some point. I say hold on to it, at least for a while longer. You can always sell it, you can't always get it back.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JL,
I am reluctant to get a new setting for the sapphire. Firstly, metal price is high. Secondly, I simply don't know what design is best for it. With the chunky faceting, the antique setting seems like a good fit. In addition, I don't think there's much I can do to increase its perceived dimensions.

It seems I've suddenly discovered a slew of CS relatives who are ready to inherit this ring. :lol: Seriously, I've been looking at it for the past 3 years with no clearer resolution. Every time I think of selling it, I get cold feet and do nothing.

HotPozzum,
Take a number and get in line. :tongue:

JStar,
I like the setting too. It's just that its not "me". I acknowledge that it's pretty in its own right but is better suited to a much younger lady.

NKOTB,
I appreciate your thoughts on this. It's just hard for this little guy to compete against the blingy large pear Mahenge and other showier rings. Also, as you said, once sold, I cannot have it back and that is the root of my worries. I have only worn it less than 5 times, on days I felt I needed to be understated.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! Love the classic vintage style setting. The color is amazing and not easy to find. I too find it hard to part with some pieces because I really like them, even though I never wear them. I decided to sell a few pieces and now I regret selling two of them. I later found out the buyer was a gold refinery which made it worse because I know they are destroyed. Since you don't need the funds, I would keep it. The stone and the setting are just perfect together. It truly is a lovely ring but I'm a Virgo, so I must admit I am a wee bit biased :)

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
The photo with your hand puts me in the camp of keeping the stone and selling the setting. Something about the setting conflicts with that lovely stone but I cannot explain what is wrong to my eye. Too thin, too plain is my first reaction.

The stone color is very romantic to me, so blue and round, and seems to want a more artistic home. The stone size is not small but it looks small on your finger right now, the setting proportions are off (IMO). If you are not in the mood to find a new setting then keep it as-is for a future date that you "see" the perfect setting.

I've seen several in my wanderings that would be perfect but they fit my taste not yours.
I've been wandering around this site which has a lot of settings I've never seen elsewhere. Some are one-of-a-kind vintage but they say they can reproduce them also.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Willow-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE156-192670/?show_setting_tab=true

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results