shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire for ring setting

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm looking for a loose deep blue sapphire to set in a ring for my wife. Price <$1500. Untreated. Size > 1.00 carat.

Here's the best one I've found so far...
Option 1 - misleading color?
Option 1 - much more purple (I have been corrected - not purple)

I'd prefer something deeper blue than I think this probably is...
Also has an inclusion on the side that may be able to be covered with creative settingl

1.33 Carat
Cornflower Blue
Medium Dark 70
Lightly Included

- Identification: Natural Unheated & Untreated Blue Sapphire

- Carat: 1.33
- Shape: Oval
- Measures: 5.32x7.55x3.71 (millimeter)
- Color Grade: Good
- Tone: MD70
- Color Zoning: None
- Clarity: Lightly Included
- Cutting Grade: Good
o Brilliancy: 60%
o Depth: 70%
- Origin: Wellawaya, Sri Lanka
- Treatment: None

Overall Grade: Very Good

Price: $1250

Option 2
Option 2 - hard to see but pic on AGTA report doesnt look TOO dark

1.14 carats, untreated, horrible pictures and no information on cut. Clarity VVS.

Anyone have experience with simplysapphires.com?

Price: $803

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am more inclined to believe the hand shot picture as more accurate. No, not more purple but grayer with a touch of green. The glamour shot on the reflective surface shows a bluer hue with much stronger saturation (pop of colour).

No hand shots for option 2? I'm concerned it will look darker in person. Cut looks fine but is it really VVS? I see something going on at the upper left side.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1368039055|3442906 said:
I am more inclined to believe the hand shot picture as more accurate. No, not more purple but grayer with a touch of green. The glamour shot on the reflective surface shows a bluer hue with much stronger saturation (pop of colour).

No hand shots for option 2? I'm concerned it will look darker in person. Cut looks fine but is it really VVS? I see something going on at the upper left side.

All Option 2 says is "A bright beautiful sapphire mined and cut in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). This stone exhibits a stunningly rich Royal blue color and is eye clean in clarity."

No hand shots.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a particular shape or are you open to ovals and cushions?

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Any shape. It's for a ring, probably a solitare, for whatever that's worth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are unlikely to get a rich unheated blue sapphire of over 1 ct for $1500.
Item 1089 1.1 ct, 6.1 mm $ 1595.00

It is unfortunate that item 1095 is already sold.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Option 3

Sapphire Cushion Modified Mixed Cut
Weight: 1.33 cts
Measurements: 7.3x5.5mm, depth 3.6mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 1990.00
Description: Certified unheated deep blue sapphire. Excellent clarity. AGL lab report included

I dont mind paying more than $1500 if I need to. Whats the difference between this one and Option 1 that makes this one 60% more expensive? Better blue color, less inclusions (and none visable on the surface)...is that enough to justify the $2k price?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purer blue hue, much stronger saturation and cleaner. Whether it is justified is your call.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1368044996|3442987 said:
Purer blue hue, much stronger saturation and cleaner. Whether it is justified is your call.

It's hard to judge prices because 1) I'm new at this and 2) There arent a whole lot of places that sell untreated sapphires to compare. I know you can't tell someone whether or not to buy something, but this isnt a must purchase right now at any price kind of situation...so...is the price in the right ballpark? Can you at least guesstimate that?

:lol: dont hit me.

aaronl

Rough_Rock
jwaters|1368038846|3442902 said:
1.14 carats, untreated, horrible pictures and no information on cut. Clarity VVS.
I'm no expert, but...

_6175.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if I was curt, as I had to leave. $2000 is about average, or reasonable for the quality and size. Prices are on a steady climb upwards. When shopping around, consider the shipping cost, ease and location of return and the policies as well.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1368051665|3443047 said:
Sorry if I was curt, as I had to leave. $2000 is about average, or reasonable for the quality and size. Prices are on a steady climb upwards. When shopping around, consider the shipping cost, ease and location of return and the policies as well.

No worries, I appreciate the help. I guess that's what I was hoping to hear; I don't want to overpay but I'm willing to pay the going rate.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Any comments on the cut for option 3? It's listed as 'Sapphire Cushion Modified Mixed Cut' - is that a real cut or a grab bag term for something that isn't optimal? The sparkle also looks a bit assymetrical - could this be a problem with the cut or just an artifact of the photography? I see a lot of links to this particular store and it looks like they're all cut by the same guy, so I'm guessing in general he has a good reputation.

I know these questions can really only be answered by looking at it in person - and that's what I'll probably end up doing. I love the color and I havent seen another one recently with that hue which is untreated or without obvious problems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unlike diamonds, there are hundreds of cut styles for coloured stones and there is no single optimal design for a particular stone. There are so many variables to consider that such a thing becomes impossible. Most of such designs do not have a name so they are given a more generic descriptor.

Cushion - obviously based on the shape
Modified - covers a wide range since it has no particular design name
Mix cut - brilliant style crown with step cut pavilion which is the most common style for coloured stones.

It bears no reflection whether the cut is optimal or not. As long as there are no glaring issues such a windowing, off symmetry, and such, it is considered well cut. Precision cutting is a totally different ball park. Some have specific design names, are copyrighted and expect to pay a hefty premium on certain precision cut stones. Designs for those run from simple to extremely fancy and complex. Even cut quality on precision cutting will vary and it doesn't guarantee great colouration.

In the case of Option 3, the stone is tilted in the photograph, hence it looks a bit funky. This vendor has both precision cut and non-precision cut stones. If it says "cut by XXX", then he cut those himself and those are precision cut. If it doesn't say that, then it is a non-precision cut stone.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ok, it's done. I'll post pics when it gets here.

This will be a 2nd anniversary present for my wife ... her birthday present will be figuring out what to do with it.

I'm a geologist and I've always had an unhealthy obsession with gems and minerals. I had way too much fun looking at sapphires the last 2 days. :sun:

Chrono - thanks for your opinions. I've enjoyed reading your posts in other threads as well.

aaronl

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worth asking just for a price comparison. You should also inquire about a lab memo verifying that they are unheated since I don't see any labs listed. Typically, Pala tends to be one of the more expensive options but they carry a large inventory. The first one is indeed quite shallow and will require more creative setting consideration to close that window.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on pulling the trigger! We look forward to seeing what it looks like in hand. Personally, I never would have even considered option 1, so I'm happy that you chose - at least I think you did - option 3 and can't wait to see how it looks irl.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Correct, I chose option 3. After spending a while looking through the sapphires on gemfix it was very obvious that options 1 and 2 were inferior. Option 3 was also one of the very few I was able to find with that warm blue color which was untreated so hopefully it turns out to be a keeper.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here are some pictures of the stone - a lot of color zoning, very dependant on the angle. These pictures were taken in evening light by a south facing window inside, no flash.

The whole stone has a violet streak which runs through as you tilt the stone - and does not show up in any of the pictures I took with my macro lens from all angles.

Is this color variation normal?

_6334.jpg

_6335.jpg

_6336.jpg

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'll admit I have never looked at gem quality sapphires.

The color change is VERY dependent on the intensity and type of light and it shifts from almost pale violet to the deep blue in the pictures very quickly - not one color inside vs outside.

I was disappointing at first because I didn't want a violet sapphire but I'm getting a little more used to it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate are the pictures compared to what you see? How is the outdoor colour? Do you see true zoning or a natural brilliance contrast? No stone is going to look evenly one hue throughout unless it is badly cut and "dead". Zoning has a different look. Your answers will help us determine if what you see is normal and acceptable, or if it isn't a good sapphire.

Appearance is also viewed straight on, not tilted every which way, which obviously should vary the light path and give a slightly different look. Most gemstones also shift under various lighting, some more than others, some prettier than others. Slightly violetish blue is actually the trade preferred hue. If you want a pure blue, by all means, go for that then. It's a personal preference. ;))

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
I got home earlier today so I was able to go outside in bright daylight and it looks much shinier and more blue. I still think there is some natural color zoning but it is less noticeable in bright daylight so that makes me more comfortable keeping it.

Glad to hear a little violet is a good thing. Thanks for the help selecting my first sapphire!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all gemstones love daylight so it isn't a surprise that yours looks the best outdoors. I take it that you are able to accept the indoor appearance? I've noticed sapphires doing one of these two when indoors - it either becomes darker and grayer, or it becomes slightly purplish. Personally, I prefer the purplish shift. I hope other sapphire owners and shoppers will chime in with their experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results