shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel-ing Rhodolite/Umbalite Garnet - pls help with first project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi again!

I bought most of the stones over all of last year - I just kept seeing these beauties! I have ideas nailed down for all of them, and it's more a less going to be it for me, once these are done...'cept of course for the something red!

I'm totally loving anything bezelled now...it took me a long time to really find out what my preferences are - at one point I thought it was most definitely pave, but now...nooooo!

Most of the ideas I have are with bezels as the main theme - simple pieces, and to be cost effective, I'm thinking a few things in silver, with the bezels in gold.

I'm hoping to wait just several more weeks, and then get the ball rolling and have them all set in one go - we'll have to see how it tallies up financially!! I've champagne taste and beer money I'm afraid - hence the silver choice.

But silver is a favourite metal of mine (lucky huh!) - so long as there are a few accents in gold (of whatever colour) and now have realised that my jewellery tastes are the more simplistic/organic styles...smooth lines, and designs that let the stones 'sing'

so - watch this space!!

It would be a total hoot, if I could get them all done together, and do a post 'en mass' when they are all completed!! In reality - I'm not sure that it'll happen that way. So many gorgeous pieces to choose from - and not enough pennies!!

Patience...I keep telling myself - it'll happen soon enough.

It's really a shame you can't move on the ring you wanted Sally to do for you - but totally understand about not wanting to ship the stone. It's stunning, and it would be hard for me too to let 'her' out of my sight, for too many miles!

Keep us posted on what you decide to make with 'her'!

18.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane,
The picture you posted from Sally is so pretty! I''m certainly considering her. For what I want to do, I might have the setting sent to me and the stone set locally.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH Lordy...that stone is just Gorgeous!!!! The new pics looks awesome!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:19:24 AM
Author: cinnamon013
arjunajane,

The picture you posted from Sally is so pretty! I''m certainly considering her. For what I want to do, I might have the setting sent to me and the stone set locally.

Ah, thats a great idea! I never thought of that, duh..
You may have just saved my project..I am going to see if she is willing to do this..Thankyou!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:34:28 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
OH Lordy...that stone is just Gorgeous!!!! The new pics looks awesome!!

Cheers CCN!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:14:22 AM
Author: pwendyp
Hi again!

I bought most of the stones over all of last year - I just kept seeing these beauties! I have ideas nailed down for all of them, and it''s more a less going to be it for me, once these are done...''cept of course for the something red!

I''m totally loving anything bezelled now...it took me a long time to really find out what my preferences are - at one point I thought it was most definitely pave, but now...nooooo!

Most of the ideas I have are with bezels as the main theme - simple pieces, and to be cost effective, I''m thinking a few things in silver, with the bezels in gold.

I''m hoping to wait just several more weeks, and then get the ball rolling and have them all set in one go - we''ll have to see how it tallies up financially!! I''ve champagne taste and beer money I''m afraid - hence the silver choice.

But silver is a favourite metal of mine (lucky huh!) - so long as there are a few accents in gold (of whatever colour) and now have realised that my jewellery tastes are the more simplistic/organic styles...smooth lines, and designs that let the stones ''sing''

so - watch this space!!

It would be a total hoot, if I could get them all done together, and do a post ''en mass'' when they are all completed!! In reality - I''m not sure that it''ll happen that way. So many gorgeous pieces to choose from - and not enough pennies!!

Patience...I keep telling myself - it''ll happen soon enough.

It''s really a shame you can''t move on the ring you wanted Sally to do for you - but totally understand about not wanting to ship the stone. It''s stunning, and it would be hard for me too to let ''her'' out of my sight, for too many miles!

Keep us posted on what you decide to make with ''her''!

18.gif

Ha, that would be totally incredible if you were to do an ''en masse'' delivery of completed projects!

I would consult with some other etsy vendors if you''re keen on silver with gold, so many of them are great in silver, and very cost effective.

I''m normally not squeamish about postage and working long distance at all - its just a shame about the bad rep the Thai postal service has for "losing" things...who knows, it could be completely fine, but I''m afraid I just don''t have the heart to risk it..I am too fond of this baby, lol!

Your tastes in your jewellery designs sound very much like mine..simple and organic is exactly what I''m after with this ring.

I would like to make it clear for anyone reading this that this is my personal decision, and don''t want it to affect anyone else''s decision to use Heart of Water/Nam Chai. Of course, Sally is shipping jewellery to clients all the time and has never had an issue...its just my personal hangup is all
40.gif

1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:42:15 AM
Author: arjunajane

arjunajane,

You may have just saved my project..I am going to see if she is willing to do this..Thankyou!
It might be possible for me because I''m considering a setting with prongs. If you are bezeling, she may want the stone, I don''t know for sure.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Man, I really have to visit the Coloured Stones section more often! I''m sooo late but AJ, all your stones are so beautiful! Your new stone however is just gorgeous!
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:55:46 AM
Date: 2/5/2009 9:42:15 AM

Author: arjunajane

arjunajane,

It might be possible for me because I''m considering a setting with prongs. If you are bezeling, she may want the stone, I don''t know for sure.

Yeah, you''re likely right, good point...
I *think* I''m going to go with the place in Melbourne that made Bling Addicts'' lovely spinel halo..
I''m currently waiting to see if they can''t shave a tiny bit off the quote for me - I''ve had to almost double the budget, *sigh*. Ah well, at least it will be killer (hopefully..?)
wish me luck!

BA''s ring :

BA spinel halo 2.2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:59:23 AM
Author: AdiS
Man, I really have to visit the Coloured Stones section more often! I''m sooo late but AJ, all your stones are so beautiful! Your new stone however is just gorgeous!
30.gif

Yes Adis, do come visit more!
And thankyou sweety.
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I love bling addict''s ring. Here''s to good luck and a beautiful ring!
36.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
How beautiful. I love the color, and size!!!
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cinnamon - thankyou. I have pretty much decided to go with that jeweller, just working out a couple of the details.

Tlh, cheers!

Here is a photoshop of what my garnet may look like in the setting I want..I''m digging the two tone yellow and white, but keen to hear others thoughts..?
(this picture is courtesy of one of the designers I have contacted)..

~5407332.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
AJ--did you photoshop that or did the designer? It's JM's photograph. Is it just used as a sketch? I can see JM's metal stamp in the photo.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:19:39 AM
Author: coatimundi
AJ--did you photoshop that or did the designer? It's JM's photograph. Is it just being used as a sketch? I can see JM's metal stamp in the photo.
Hey coats - this is just a photoshop that one of the designers did, just to throw out some ideas and make sure we're on the same page - its not the work-up for the ring or anything meaningful like that !
1.gif

I just wanted to give credit for the photoshop thats not my work, sorry for the confusion..

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I like all yg with the garnet.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Really Coats? hrmm..

Ok, one and one..

any more votes....?
5.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeez-I''m glad it''s not my decision! Dangit, now I''m in reply mode and can''t look at them anymore..I dunno, I''m on a rose gold kick, so I''d prolly pick that one..or the all yellow gold. Ack, I''m no help. Can you mix rose and yellow gold together? Or rose and white?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
haha--I do like two tone--like in this CM--so I bet it would look great. I think I'm thrown off by the photoshop colors. :) The all yellow gold looks so rich and gorgeous!

calebmeyer111.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s pretty Coati-can you photoshop her garnet color in there?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 1:03:09 AM
Author: packrat
Jeez-I''m glad it''s not my decision! Dangit, now I''m in reply mode and can''t look at them anymore..I dunno, I''m on a rose gold kick, so I''d prolly pick that one..or the all yellow gold. Ack, I''m no help. Can you mix rose and yellow gold together? Or rose and white?
Ha ha you''re funny.
You can, but I don''t think I''ll go with RG on this one. A lil too much pink for me (personally)..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 1:05:04 AM
Author: coatimundi
haha--I do like two tone--like in this CM--so I bet it would look great. I think I''m thrown off by the photoshop colors. :) The all yellow gold looks so rich and gorgeous!
Ya, I think the photoshop colours are a bit much too..
I most likely wouldn''t have the leaf in white, it would be all YG apart from the milgrained part of the bezel and the side wraps..
any better..?
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If anybody is able to please photoshop for me the middle photo, so that the leaf is all YG?
(As in, everything YG except for the milgrained bezel and the wraps on the shank)..

It would be much appreciated !

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Two tone all the way!

Reasons: garnet''s color is vibrant and it''s cut is firey; enough for me to realise this stone calls for some contrast and eye-catching color combinations. All rose is IMO more suitable for a "quieter" stone like a cabochon rubelite or something.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi ma re, good to hear your input, thanks!

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi aj
35.gif

It looks like you are nearing deciding on your ring...it''s going to look stunning!

I love the all yellow choice - with a little change perhaps?

I am thinking...

All yellow for the shank, and the split also - leading to having the bottom half of the bezel in the unplated ''creamy'' white gold, leading to yellow again for the milgrain bezel.

And, perhaps white gold for the side ''wraps'' - and perhaps the ''vein'' on the leaf.

Or...for the leaf, how about just a smidgeon of ''green'' gold?

I love love love the stone!! I think we all said that already - it is truly ''juicy''!

Can''t wait to see what you finally decide on.

1.gif

YellowWhitePink.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
How on earth did I miss this! That stone is freaking GORGEOUS!!!

I think the two tone would look really spectacular.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:49:29 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi aj
35.gif

It looks like you are nearing deciding on your ring...it''s going to look stunning!

I love the all yellow choice - with a little change perhaps?

I am thinking...

All yellow for the shank, and the split also - leading to having the bottom half of the bezel in the unplated ''creamy'' white gold, leading to yellow again for the milgrain bezel.

And, perhaps white gold for the side ''wraps'' - and perhaps the ''vein'' on the leaf.

Or...for the leaf, how about just a smidgeon of ''green'' gold?

I love love love the stone!! I think we all said that already - it is truly ''juicy''!

Can''t wait to see what you finally decide on.

1.gif
Oh no! Wendy, I didn''t think of that option - hrmm, it is so very hard to visualize the different options, but I understand you.

I don''t know what to do TBH!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:01:28 PM
Author: geckodani
How on earth did I miss this! That stone is freaking GORGEOUS!!!

I think the two tone would look really spectacular.
Ha ha, hey Dani, thanks hon.!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My first choice is the all yellow gold, then the two tone. Rose gold just isn''t right for umbalites, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results