shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel-ing Rhodolite/Umbalite Garnet - pls help with first project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:37:00 AM
Author: omieluv
Arjunajane, your Garnet is beautiful!
30.gif
The color is fantastic and the size will give you ample finger coverage. So sorry I missed this thread, but I am sure I will make up for it by visiting this thread for updates.

I have a malaya garnet that I want to set and it was because of your thread that I sent an email to Nam Chai. Sally has been very responsive and so sweet! She said that she is willing to ship the setting to me and then I would of course need to visit a local benchman for setting purposes. I suppose she is fine with this method, as she would like to go with a prong setting for the stone. We have not even talked design yet, so I do not want to get ahead of myself.
Heya Omie
35.gif

Oohh I love your malaya - it will be wonderful in a ring by Sally, I''m very glad I could help inspire you! Will you be doing it in her lovely yellow gold?
Ya, its a shame I am bezel obsessed at the moment, I would love to have her make me something with prongs and send it on over. I''m sure there will be an occasion - te he
2.gif

Is there a particular design of hers that you favour, or will this be custom?
Aren''t her prices awesome? I''m very tempted to just grab something off her etsy site all the time, but I...must...save...for my JM, lol !
Can''t wait to hear what you decide
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:37:00 AM
Arjunajane, your Garnet is beautiful!
30.gif
The color is fantastic and the size will give you ample finger coverage. So sorry I missed this thread, but I am sure I will make up for it by visiting this thread for updates.

I have a malaya garnet that I want to set and it was because of your thread that I sent an email to Nam Chai. Sally has been very responsive and so sweet! She said that she is willing to ship the setting to me and then I would of course need to visit a local benchman for setting purposes. I suppose she is fine with this method, as she would like to go with a prong setting for the stone. We have not even talked design yet, so I do not want to get ahead of myself.

I can''t wait to see this Omie - that malaya of yours is just calling for something in buttery yellow gold, and Sally has some beautiful work!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 5:13:23 AM
Author: arjunajane
Heya Omie
35.gif

Oohh I love your malaya - it will be wonderful in a ring by Sally, I''m very glad I could help inspire you! Will you be doing it in her lovely yellow gold?
Ya, its a shame I am bezel obsessed at the moment, I would love to have her make me something with prongs and send it on over. I''m sure there will be an occasion - te he
2.gif

Aren''t her prices awesome? I''m very tempted to just grab something off her etsy site all the time, but I...must...save...for my JM, lol !
36.gif
Hi there! I want to go yellow gold with my garnet and she seems to have wonderful designs. Not sure if this will be custom, as we have not even talked about pricing for the project. Her prices on her Etsy site are fantastic and I am wondering if her custom work is on a similar vibe.

Your JM is going to be fabulous. His pricing was a bit steep for me at the moment and I would rather go for a pricier setting for a more valuable stone. However, I cannot wait to see yours on your finger...how long will it take?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 6:37:32 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I can''t wait to see this Omie - that malaya of yours is just calling for something in buttery yellow gold, and Sally has some beautiful work!
Oh yes, the garnet''s future home will be gold. I hope that Sally''s pricing works for me, though I am willing to stretch my budget within reason.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 2:07:19 AM

Date: 2/21/2009 5:13:23 AM
Heya Omie
35.gif

2.gif

36.gif
Hi there! I want to go yellow gold with my garnet and she seems to have wonderful designs. Not sure if this will be custom, as we have not even talked about pricing for the project. Her prices on her Etsy site are fantastic and I am wondering if her custom work is on a similar vibe.

Your JM is going to be fabulous. His pricing was a bit steep for me at the moment and I would rather go for a pricier setting for a more valuable stone. However, I cannot wait to see yours on your finger...how long will it take?
Hey omie,
her custom pricing seemed very comparable to what''s on the site to me - lets just say its about a third of what you could expect to pay for custom at WF for example..Of course, everyone''s quality and work are different, but her prices are very attractive. I think you''ll be fine. I would also say her quality looks pretty up there from the photos.

Honestly, I do have my trepidations about putting a "cheaper" stone in a pricier setting like a JM - I know it seems a bit odd, even to me. It does seem like it "deserves" a fantastic gem. But I figure I love the stone, and I love the ring - so why not, right? For the sake of having the "whole package", I''m just going to go for it.
I figure I can always have the centre changed out in the future.. It would need about a 2.5ct diamond to fit -
emembarrassed.gif
but a girl can dream right?
2.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 2:38:34 AM

Hey omie,
her custom pricing seemed very comparable to what''s on the site to me - lets just say its about a third of what you could expect to pay for custom at WF for example..Of course, everyone''s quality and work are different, but her prices are very attractive. I think you''ll be fine. I would also say her quality looks pretty up there from the photos.

Honestly, I do have my trepidations about putting a ''cheaper'' stone in a pricier setting like a JM - I know it seems a bit odd, even to me. It does seem like it ''deserves'' a fantastic gem. But I figure I love the stone, and I love the ring - so why not, right? For the sake of having the ''whole package'', I''m just going to go for it.
I figure I can always have the centre changed out in the future.. It would need about a 2.5ct diamond to fit -
emembarrassed.gif
2.gif
If you love the stone, then it is worth setting it in a JM design! For me, I am fascinated by my garnet, but I am not in love with it as much as you are in love with yours. A 2.5ct diamond would be TDF, but that would be a dream for me as well. Actually, a dream for me would be find a TDF OEC and have it set by LM or Ari at Singlestone, but I digress.

To be quite honest, I am not sure what a "typical" custom price is from WF, but if you say that her custom work is comparable to what is on her site, then I am fairly sure I can work with her. I hope things work out, because I really want something to look forward to!

Your ring is going to look fantastic and I cannot wait to see it in the many photos you will be posting!!! When will it be ready?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 3:05:35 AM

Date: 2/22/2009 2:38:34 AM

Hey omie,

Honestly, I do have my trepidations about putting a ''cheaper'' stone in a pricier setting like a JM - I know it seems a bit odd, even to me. It does seem like it ''deserves'' a fantastic gem. But I figure I love the stone, and I love the ring - so why not, right? For the sake of having the ''whole package'', I''m just going to go for it.
emembarrassed.gif
2.gif
If you love the stone, then it is worth setting it in a JM design! For me, I am fascinated by my garnet, but I am not in love with it as much as you are in love with yours. A 2.5ct diamond would be TDF, but that would be a dream for me as well. Actually, a dream for me would be find a TDF OEC and have it set by LM or Ari at Singlestone, but I digress.

To be quite honest, I am not sure what a ''typical'' custom price is from WF, but if you say that her custom work is comparable to what is on her site, then I am fairly sure I can work with her. I hope things work out, because I really want something to look forward to!

Your ring is going to look fantastic and I cannot wait to see it in the many photos you will be posting!!! When will it be ready?
Hey again Omie,
Oh sorry about the WF thing - I just don''t want to mention an exact quote, as jewellery quotes change so quickly kwim? But I''m sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
JM said 3-4 weeks, and it will likely take about a week for it to reach him. Very excited!
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hey guys,

Just wanted to update this thread to say that my JM ring is finished and currently on its way to me, WOOT!!!
36.gif
emotion-19.gif

With a lil luck, it should finish its travels and clear customs in about two weeks ***fingers and toes and other body parts crossed***
2.gif

I still don't actually know what she fully looks like as Jim doesn't seem to do photos before he sends them - the suspense is
killing me !
40.gif
9.gif

I will fill in some more once it gets here, but I do want to mention briefly how fantastic Jim is to work with (hey Jim
35.gif
), and if anyone is considering
it I can definately recommend his service - and I'm sure I'll be happy to recommend his product too once I *finally* get to see it, ha!
9.gif

I'm sorry, I know you guys don't like updates w/out pictures as much as I don't, but I'm just sooo excited about this ring, I had to share !
Cheers,
aj.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Congrats I can''t wait to see it - I know it will be beautiful
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 8:09:55 AM
hey guys,

Just wanted to update this thread to say that my JM ring is finished and currently on its way to me, WOOT!!!
36.gif
emotion-19.gif
aj, that is EXCITING!! I''ve got JM on the brain, and I can''t wait to see how yours turns out. (Stunning no doubt, but I want to seeeeeeee
36.gif
)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dee, how are you? Have you started the new job yet?

Hey icekid, thanks - I know, I want to seeee tooo !!!
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I''m good :) thanks for asking :).

I don''t start till after easter which is good because I still need to shop for some new clothes
36.gif
, any excuse really :).

How''s the hunt going? Any luck so far?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 10:03:11 AM
Author: Deelight

I don''t start till after easter which is good because I still need to shop for some new clothes
36.gif

Ah good luck with the shopping, fun! Do let us know what you get
36.gif
and remember to try CR again -
ha ha, I am going to convert you if its the last thing
9.gif

There are a few prospects that I like the sounds of - have done a couple applications, but my ex-employer is dragging their heels really
badly on all my paperwork
20.gif

makes it hard to move on quickly
40.gif

I''m basically trying to decide whether to go again for something really similiar to what I was doing, and just keep on
asap - but I think I would prefer a complete change of scenery tbh ! And to hopefully find something I sincerely like.
I can''t stand working a job just for the sake of "existing", kwim?
Exactly what to do is the question though !
2.gif

There is one position that sounds completely different and interesting, the pay and hours are very suitable - I''m quite keen on it,
but trying not to get my hopes up too soon..
5.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
AJ... I''m so excited for you because you''re finally getting the ring and for us because I know you''ll be posting lots of pictures!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 10:21:22 AM
Author: mochi
AJ... I''m so excited for you because you''re finally getting the ring and for us because I know you''ll be posting lots of pictures!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Hey Mochi hon!
Thankyou, and absolutely you know I will, I garauntee it, lol !
I wish I was more industrious, I should take some fellow PS''ers tips and create a light box..
emotion-40.gif

Either way, I will try to think of something creative !
5.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I can''t wait to see it!!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
YES! That is some good news. I have been anticipating your ring
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 10:20:53 AM
Date: 4/5/2009 10:03:11 AM

Author: Deelight

36.gif

Ah good luck with the shopping, fun! Do let us know what you get
36.gif
and remember to try CR again -

ha ha, I am going to convert you if its the last thing
9.gif

There are a few prospects that I like the sounds of - have done a couple applications, but my ex-employer is dragging their heels really

badly on all my paperwork
20.gif

makes it hard to move on quickly
40.gif

I''m basically trying to decide whether to go again for something really similiar to what I was doing, and just keep on

asap - but I think I would prefer a complete change of scenery tbh ! And to hopefully find something I sincerely like.

I can''t stand working a job just for the sake of ''existing'', kwim?

Exactly what to do is the question though !
2.gif

There is one position that sounds completely different and interesting, the pay and hours are very suitable - I''m quite keen on it,

but trying not to get my hopes up too soon..
5.gif

I will check them out for sure :)

That sucks about your employer hopefully they hurry up so not cool. I really hope you find something you like I ended up quiting my last job because I hated it and would cry thinking of having to go in - luckily we were in the position for me to do that :) so yeah tottally understand about doing something you want rather then need to.

I personally would aim for something different and see how that works - new job is just like a holiday and it might just make you feel refreshed, energised and unlock a new hidden talent or passion :).

Good luck I will send you loads of dust for a quick resolution with the old job and success with the new one you want :).

I know this sounds crazy but it seems to work for me - when I want something I decide I already have it and keep repeating that statement or variantions of it to myself and FI rather then saying I want it and be left in that state of mind
2.gif
- can''t hurt
25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi packrat and akmiss - the anticipation is torturous, lol!
The ring only just left the country on the 5th...not quick enough !!
9.gif

Hi again Dee,
I agree about the different new job. I didn''t hate my last one by any stretch, but it did get tiring.
Thanks for the ongoing support
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results