shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to suss if a stone is the right size?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Yep. Husband reckons I need to take a break from PS haha!

I always see other members recommending to draw out the mm size on paper and cut it out but I just couldn't visualise it well enough. Then I spotted the blue tac!

My pp has had some issues so I can't complete the sale until Monday now but I've just bit the bullet on a stone I fell in love with months ago but couldn't get passed the size (9mm) aa felt it were too big, and that the stone wasn't the hardest or best option for a ring. Honestly I've found nothing bar one sapphire that was far far too out of my price range that hits my color spot, so I've decided to just bite the bullet. The fact it's still available makes me think it was waiting for me ;-)

The depth is 6.3mm, faces up 9mm. Just shy of 3.5 carats if I remember. It feels like a beast. Would love ideas on how to set it to make it feel a little more low key. My original wave design idea doesn't feel right for this stone, finger coverage would just be nuts lol!

Blue tac makes for a very comfy setting, btw :D

P.s. feel like I'm always posting or asking questions. Big huge thank you for you all putting up with me! I hope I don't annoy you all loads!

20140802_191002.jpg

20140802_190957.jpg

20140802_190837.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1407004539|3725019 said:
I've just bit the bullet on a stone I fell in love with months ago but couldn't get passed the size (9mm) aa felt it were too big

I've passed on stones because they weren't durable enough, too expensive, didn't have the right color, etc. . . but I never ever ever passed up on a stone because it was simply too big. :naughty:

I love bling, so I can't help you there, but some people are more sensitive to size. If you're one of those types of people, that's fine, but don't let others convince you that you're one of those types of people. I've known people that were super sensitive to size, but once they got a huge piece of bling that they loved, they quickly got over their sensitivity issues. ;-) :lol:

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I should imagine the stone type will be easily guessed but I've purposely not said as I *really* don't want to be talked out of it! I'm aware of the risks.. yes I wish it were higher on the mohs. . But colour is so important to me so ill have to just be careful!

I feel like I am size sensitive to size.. I'm worried about it looking costume jewellery size silly. I'm probably just needing to get used to it, ill enjoy some time with the stone loose before I set so I get it right for long term loving! Hehe

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1407005222|3725025 said:
I should imagine the stone type will be easily guessed but I've purposely not said as I *really* don't want to be talked out of it! I'm aware of the risks.. yes I wish it were higher on the mohs. . But colour is so important to me so ill have to just be careful!

I feel like I am size sensitive to size.. I'm worried about it looking costume jewellery size silly. I'm probably just needing to get used to it, ill enjoy some time with the stone loose before I set so I get it right for long term loving! Hehe

Well, to me, I don't care what other people think, or if they think my jewelry looks gaudy or costumey. I wear it for me. I guess that's my priority, but you may care more about what others think. To me, wearing a huge stone is like wearing makeup for the first time, you're just a little more self conscious. I would place more concern on color to be honest. If a large, gorgeous gem came your way, and it was durable and affordable, I would take it in a heartbeat. In fact, for me, I rather not have small stones, and if I do, I use them in stackers, or as side stones.

I wear some enormous rings, and sometimes more than three :shock: and I get compliments a lot, and if people don't like them, oh well. . . :whistle:

Call me an oddball, and I think that size looks fine on you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love big, and I love bling so I might not be too much help either! What is your ring size? FWIW I think a 9 mm stone will look lovely on your hand, and not too big or ostentatious. I always keep in mind that people are viewing my jewelry from a distance, so the piece doesn't really look as big to others as it does to me. Also, it's pretty amazing how quickly your eyes adjust to the stone. I don't know what types of settings you were thinking of previously, but if you are concerned about size, how about a pave band? Or maybe a solitaire with baguette sidetones, something classic. The shape of the stone is round, right?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I definitely don't much care for others thoughts..so long as I love it that's all that matters. . But I don't wear lots of jewellery, I prefer studs or tiny droplet type earrings, I almost always end up removing my watch midday if I wear it and if I do wear a necklace the chain is dainty and has a small single stone to it. I also really like my rings to be thin and I can't stand round or d shaped bands, I struggle to wear my wedding band because it feels so thick and uncomfortable. . Even though I really don't think it *actually* is ifykwim. That tanzy and diamond eternity ring I'm wearing next to my new fancy blue tac ;-) is my go to right now. Ohhh it's sooo comfy and lovely to wear.

I just want it to be able to show off its beautiful colour (s) but every day wearable?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
June bug (love your name!) May I ask what size your centre diamond is on your avatar? I can see you like your bling! I'm a real magpie and love to admire but can't seem to pull it off myself? !

Yes it's round! I think I'm also trying to workout it's likely height once in a setting. 9mm is big to me, but if the depth is 6.3mm I'm not sure if it'll sit quite high and be catchy? I want to give the stone the best chance of survival haha! (I have made peace with its brittleness and have decided to hope it hold its own but not be upset if it needs replacing years down the line. I just love the color and cut too much to pass!)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I like them blingy lol! The diamond is 1.96 carats and measures 8 mm. It was originally in a solitaire setting but I wanted more hand presence and finger coverage so I reset into the halo. Well, actually, what I initially wanted was a larger stone but decided I didn't want to spend any further substantial amounts of money - a reset did the trick!

Maybe a very delicate halo to protect your stone?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget that bluetac is solid and your stone will have facets so it will be a little less "in yer face" than the bluetac! I think the size works well on your hand but you'll need a simple(ish) design because your fingers are short (like mine) and a wide ring may look stumpy - I hope you don't think I'm being rude but I have to be so careful with larger rings! I think a sleek, elegant ring will be lovely.

As for whether it will look like costume jewellery? Well it might but then nobody will chop your finger off to rob you for it so there's always a plus! Those who know about stones will recognise it for what it is though.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask, what is this bluetac stuff? :confused:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's sold in the UK (where I suspect the OP is from) and is used primarily to put posters and things on walls without leaving a mark. It's soft of like a putty that doesn't leave any marks. Does that make sense?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh thank you LD! I know what you're talking about now. What a creative idea, OP! :clap:

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I forget blue tac is a UK thing hehe.. you guys must have an equivalent ..its proper handy stuff (and now I have one more use for it!)

No not at all LD. I do indeed have short fat fingers. My beautician thinks I have a complex because I usually refuse to wear a coloured varnish as I'm convinced it looks like cocktail sausages dipped in paint hahahaha.

Any who. I think a solitaire might look a bit daft... any suggestions for a setting? I'll need a band to sit flush, whether that's a new one or my other band (not the one above) as I'd like to wear it in a set.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You could do simple three stone setting with small tapered baguettes. It's classic.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! What an inventive idea :lol:

Soooo... c'mon what's Blu Tac called in the US???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am "blessed" with short stumpy fingers and wearing anything wide makes them look like sausages too. Rings with thin, knife edge and tapered shanks are kinder to my hands. If you want your rings to be flush, avoid settings with a donut or wide base. The disadvantage of this, however, means that the stone has to be set higher, which means more risk of a top heavy ring which wants to spin and gets banged about more often.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1407145924|3725710 said:
Soooo... c'mon what's Blu Tac called in the US???
Poster putty?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results