shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Way to Get a Quote

Tully

Rough_Rock
Just wondering what is the best way to get a quote from a jeweller to custom make a ring. Do you go in and say "I've got $XXX to spend" or do you give them a rough idea of your ring design and take it from there? We went to our local jeweller and said we have $10K to spend on getting a ruby ring made and, wouldn't you know it, his price for our ring came in at $9,800. I'm wondering if we hadn't told him how much we had to spend what price would he have put on the ring then. It's very intimidating going into these fancy jewellery stores and I guess we wanted them to know we meant business and that's probably why we told them how much we were wanting to spend. And on top of that, he sourced a ruby for us, which I'm happy with, but nobody has told us the price of the ruby. I have put a deposit of $5K down to hold the ruby, but there has still been no mention of a price for the ruby by itself.

Anyway, I've since changed my initial design and am waiting on a quote from him as to what the new ring will cost to make, but I'm wondering should I see another jeweller and show him my new design and not mention how much we have to spend and see what he comes up with.

I don't need the ring made up until September and $10K is a lot of money and I'm wanting to make sure I'm getting what I pay for and that the ring is going to look like it's worth that much money.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would not give a budget. I would say you want x, y, and z and that you are in the process of getting quotes.

In the past, I've gotten quotes from 4 vendors and they came in about $1000 of each other. I picked the vendor who had the most experience in the kind of setting I was requesting. It came out beautifully, and I'll be going back.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I also don't give a budget. I give the design parameters and some pictures and ask for a quote. If the quote is too high, I ask how much it would cost to simplify or remove some stuff. If I'm ok with going a little higher and still want stuff, I'll ask them how much it would cost to do that (Miligrain, more melee, some sort of detail, etc).

They'll usually try to maximize your budget.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had custom work and it started with a discussion with the wax carver associated with my jeweler.......so the first thing I saw was a wax mold of the ring. This was great as I could set the stone in it and see what the ring looked like........but I admit, the carver was pretty amazing! From there the estimate for the cost of the ring was made......and approved and it was off to be cast, set and picked up a few weeks later. That was my experience and money wasn't discussed (other than the carver's fee which was reasonable) until I approved the wax...... Maybe I lucked out, but it was a great experience in getting a custom ring with my design idea's....and yes, I had the stone already so maybe you can start looking for the stone you want???? Or at least get an estimate from the jeweler as to what the price is of the stone he's holding for you........that should already be 'out there', unless he's using it for leverage in this transaction. There is a lot to think about and do when you build a ring........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not tell the vendors my budget because it tells them that I have X amount of wiggle room, losing whatever bargaining chip I have. I share the approximate design with the bidders and go from there. Sometimes, one or two are higher or lower, so I go back to find out why. Perhaps they used more diamonds or more metal. Once I have the quotation, I then negotiate a little to see if they can go any lower, especially if my favourite bench is a little higher than the rest, explaining that I'd like to use them but that they are more expensive than the rest (but I do not disclose who the other bidders are). At the very least, I give them the opportunity to price match the lowest bidder.

Please ask about the price of the ruby. As the buyer, you have every right to know this. Also ask for the treatment of the ruby and the level of treatment. Since the ruby is expensive (obviously more than $5K), ask the seller if it comes with a GIA or AGL lab report to back up his claims.

Has the vendor made rings with a design similar to what you want?
What is their policy on custom settings? What is your recourse if you don't like the end result?
Does the vendor create CADs for you to approve first or make a wax for you to see?

Tully

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies everybody.

I'm going to do some shopping around and get quotes from other jewellers, but my problem now lies in that I don't know how much the ruby is worth. I will ask the jeweller again today and see if he will tell me. I have paid to have the ruby certified and it states that it is heat treated. I'm happy with that - it has the cut and colour that I want and that's what's important to me.

I need to know the price of the ruby otherwise I won't be able to compare quotes properly. I'm also hoping that the jeweller will sell me the ruby on its own if I decide to go somewhere else.

The process has been very casual so far - no CADS and no mention of wax moulds. All I've seen is the rough hand drawing by the jeweller when I was in the store and a request to put a deposit down to hold the ruby.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heat treated is insufficient information.
1. Which lab is the lab report from? Certification sounds like it is done by an in-house appraisal.
2. Diffusion is also included in "heat treated" so I would want to find out more.
3. The level of heat treatment or flux healing (this affects both pricing and the care of the ruby)

Tully

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono.

The funny thing is, when I initially asked does the ruby come with a certificate the jeweller pretty much laughed at me and said no it doesn't, why would you want one. I told him that I wanted to verify that it was a Burmese ruby and to clarify the colour - plus I wanted the certificate for my own reasons and maybe insurance purposes later on. He told me that he could get it certified and it would cost me $150. I thought that was rather expensive, but I have had it certified. Here's a copy of the certificate - no, it's not GIA or AGL certified - so now I'm a bit concerned. Should have added, I'm in Australia, if that makes a difference.

gosper.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I'm not familiar with that lab, but then again, I'm fairly new to this.

As for the quotes, I second all the advice given above. Don't give them your bottom line, but do come prepared with your own ideas/pictures/requirements and so on. If some things are absolutely non-negotiable to your design, make sure that they are communicated.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I run away when a jeweler (or any seller), dismisses my attempt to get information like you did with the question about the ruby. Rubies are treated in so many ways and the ones that are glass filled and diffusion treated are worth a penny on the dollar to 'real' rubies that don't have those treatments and as Chrono mentioned "heat treatment" is a generalized category not giving you much information. Do you personally know people who have used this jeweler? Do you know him/her to be reputable and professional with a satisfied base of people who have had work like your's done? I am still concerned that the price of the ruby has not been discussed. Usually it may be cheaper if you have them make the ring.......but it should be available for purchase either way with the jeweler making a profit in either case. Sorry to be so clear on this, but I think the jeweler could be taking advantage of you and that's an expensive loss for you if he/she is. An option that doesn't cost $$$ would be to enlist the folks on this forum to do some searching for you in the area of what you want and your budget........there are some great treasure hunters here!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think your request to get a lab report is reasonable, and further, what one would expect of a buyer who knows something about rubies.

You're in the driver's seat, not the jeweler. A jeweler who does not understand that, and belittles you, is not someone you want to work with. I would take that certificate, as you paid for it, and ask what the cost is for the ruby. See as many rubies as you can in person and see if the price is reasonable. If it's not reasonable, walk away. Losing $150 for a certificate is what it is. This hobby is expensive and mistakes happen.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very good advice above. It's a little intimidating when we don't feel confident in our own knowledge & some jewelers exploit that. You know enough now not to let a snarky attitude bother you -- the more rubies you see from more jewelers, the more prepared you will be to make a happy choice. I would walk out of any jewelers' who even hesitated to give me all info I requested about a stone or a setting. When you buy a car, you expect that level of openness -- you will have your ruby ring much longer than any car (and love it more).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectra is a new lab to me as it is a private Australian lab.
http://spectra.net.au/#!/about-us-1

Particularly for rubies, I would want to know the level of flux healing and if it has been diffused. It is also very troubling to me that the jeweller is hedging on telling you the price of the ruby.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

It is very troubling to me that you have not asked the price of the ruby. That's your job. And yes, you shouldn't have told him your budget. You get bids for this type of work. You have given the impression that cost is not a concern to you.

I understand that jewelry costs more there than in the US, so you have learn what the norm is there.

I looked at the report and it says it is Burmese type- Does Burmese type mean the same thing as from Burma?

Annette

Tully

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say thank you to everybody for their input and advice.

I have decided to go with the original jeweller who, finally, told me the price of the ruby. I'm happy with the price, colour and cut.

We have finalised the design and I thought you might like to see some progress pics. To say I'm excited is an understatement! I can't wait to see the finished product. So far it's looking good.

mms_20140730.jpg

mms_20140730_2.jpg

mms_20140731_2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That looks like it will be very nice. Is it 14k? I'm glad you are happy with the decision -- isn't the waiting agony? :knockout:

Tully

Rough_Rock
It's my 10 year wedding anniversary today and that means I get to take possession of my gorgeous ruby ring. I have to say, it is beautiful and I am one very happy (and lucky) wife! He's a keeper!

JewelFreak, no, not 14k but 18k. Here in Australia we have 9k or 18k gold.

p1050083.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Congratulations on your anniversary. The ring is beautiful. Wear it in good health.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results