shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to complete this transaction?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I'll try not to confuse you all:

I have a diamond engagment ring that for lots of legitimate reasons my husband and I have banished to my jewellery box.

I bought a blue spinel from LT as my first cs purchase, but it's not quite right for my new ring, had intended to sell it but no biters so I'm going to have it set in a pendant for my first wedding anniversary. Found a lovely etsy vender that had helped me design said pendant.

Anyways, we were chatting and I mentioned my other projects. I am now going to have my jeweller remove the centre diamond from my old ring and I'm going to send her the rest of the ring and little side diamonds in return for my pendant. So no monies will actually exchange hands.

Which leaves me in a predicament. For several reasons this is a fab solution for me as I want rid of the ring but didn't want it to go for nothing because it was pretty expensive. This way I get my stone set, and my diamond can be reset at a later date.

However, how do I protect myself? She could claim she never recieved it, could dissappear completely with my ring and stone.. etc etc. paypal won't have been used so no protection there.

I've no reason to think she would do this ofc, but it would be stupid not to think about the possibility.

any advice?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Only use a vendor you trust 100%
2. When shipping, utilize the tracking feature and make sure that a signature is required as proof it was received and by who.
3. Make sure you have the transaction written down in black and white (email from the Etsy vendor will do) listing what is to be swapped for what in as great a detail as possible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412619339|3763045 said:
1. Only use a vendor you trust 100%
2. When shipping, utilize the tracking feature and make sure that a signature is required as proof it was received and by who.
3. Make sure you have the transaction written down in black and white (email from the Etsy vendor will do) listing what is to be swapped for what in as great a detail as possible.

I would also add that you might want to get a signed shipment receipt, which the post office can mail back to you after the vendor receives/signs for it. Always make sure it's insured as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're in the UK aren't you? Where are you sending the item to? If it's in the UK you can send by next day special delivery (for a small package it's around £60) and you can insure it for up to £500 (I think if memory serves).

If you're shipping abroad, Royal Mail has several "signed for" and "insured" options OR you could use ParcelForce or a courier.

Can you mention which jeweller you'll be using and where they're based?

If in Asia, it's a bit more difficult to ship with surety BUT there are certain things to do to make sure your package doesn't go astray. Let me know and then maybe I can help with better tailor made solutions.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would not do this,period. You should be able to sell the diamond through consignment or otherwise and use the money as you want .

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious, the ring had been in my jewellers for sale window for almost a year before I took it back, he'd happily buy the gold from me but the diamond is too warm for him so he's not interested.

This is the etsy vendor: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JewelleryGina

yes in the UK. I have detailed written emails about the proposed transaction, will take full photos of everything before I send and will post special delivery (or whatever royal mail call it now) I don't feel worried, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There's not tonnes of reviews, only one that says issue with a setting but looks resolved, her writeup and returns all seem reasonable though custom pieces are excluded. I like her stuff and have bought a stacking set before. She always answers my emails within a week, granted not as fast as I like but a week is reasonable for busy people I guess!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you've been following thread on another Etsy vendor (a great vendor who began dubious practices), it was discovered that once the 30 days (I'm guessing on the exact days, it is likely to be more, probably 60 days) mark is passed, a person can no longer leave a review. Sometimes a vendor has a long wait list and if item was completed beyond the X date, the customer is unable to leave any sort of review, either positive, neutral or negative. This type of scenario means that there could be some negative reviews not being captured. I am not familiar with this particular vendor so please protect yourself as much as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results