shape
carat
color
clarity

Best setting for this Montana sapphire?

claralyn

Rough_Rock
Hi! First time poster, long time lurker :))

I recently purchased a Montana sapphire from Precision Gem, 0.71 carat, 5.22mm. Here is the vendor pic:
pl_8_detail_1.png

In person, it seems to have a slightly lighter hue and reflects light well, but I've only seen it in fluorescent light so far.

I've seen a couple of posts that say putting colored gemstones in a bezel setting will end up darkening the stone. Is this true for all stones (and in this case, mine?)

I would like to have this sapphire set in a bezel ring from singlebbeautiful on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/60279583/sea-wave-wedding-set-14kt-palladium

It is for my engagement ring and I'd like to have a simple, minimalist design that won't get in the way of my daily work, but I'm also concerned about the darkening of the stone.

Thanks to pricescope, I also fell in love with Heart of Water's lush lotus setting (http://www.etsy.com/listing/28788580/lush-lotus-made-to-order-prices-vary), but it seems a little bit more delicate.

Does anyone have any advice on which setting would suit this stone best, and let the color shine through the best? Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance! ::)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a simple four prong setting (think Tiffany style) would do. As a darker stone, I would not bezel it or use a gallery that encloses the pavillion (like Sally's Lotus setting). I know you want to protect it, but by putting it in a very enclosed setting, you're also going to probably make it look too dark. I would also like to see it in higher karat yellow gold (18K up to 22K) vs white metal, unless you want the steely color to show more. The high karat yellow gold will make it look more blue.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
A lotus setting with gold head and white gold shank might be really nice for this stone.

Laura

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't know why but i see white metal with this stone: cool and refreshing like a montana spring flowing with snow runoff.....and i mean that is the vivid image i got when i first looked at the picture of your stone. odd as i'm usually into high carat gold.

its a lovely stone. one of the better montana's i've seen. both blue and green going on but not really zoned. i also like the depth of color.

take a piece of aluminum foil and make a thin, Thin, THIN bezel around your stone. that will give you some idea of what might or might not happen.

personally, i'd go for the first link you listed.

MoZo

ps i'm really NOT seeing this stone in yellow gold. although i think it would work if it was in that first link you posted. simple yet elegant. geez, where is this white metal vibe coming from?!

eta: i'm a sucker for the hammered metal look.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone! Congratulations!

I think something open would be a good idea. And definitely yellow gold to bring out the blue :love: !

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I really like this stone! I can see it well in either high karat gold or Pd white gold. If you do yellow I would ask them to make the interior of the setting facing the underside of the stone in white gold so the color of the stone isn't internally tinged with yellow. I like the first setting you linked to but I'd want the proportions of the ring shank to be better. Like the james meyer ring Baby Nurse recently got.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
love the first setting, as is; seems to suit the stone very well

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you can pick whatever response you like! LOL. But I go with TL on this one; afraid a bezel would darken the stone quite a bit. The Lotus setting (which I'm dying to find a stone for too, so gorgeous) would be the better of the 2 since it does allow a little light into the pavilion. It's a nice color Montana but already a little on the dark side -- try holding it with your fingers covering the pavilion in various lights & see what it does. I have a feeling you'd be disappointed in it with a bezel setting.

What about something like this from Heart of Water? I'm sure they could do it in white metal if you want, though I love the gold.

il_170x135.116812242.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold to soften the contrast of the dark tone (and will go well with that particular hue of blue) and a very open setting to allow as much light into the stone as possible. If you really want a white metal, you can consider doing it in a two tone setting (yellow basket with white shank) instead.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Claralyn. Beautiful stone! I love the first setting with the hammered metal finish (gorgeous) you posted and I think it would make a very unique wedding set but I do not know the performance of colored stones like these guys (and gals) do. Good luck in your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results