shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to sell gemstones as private

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
Hi
I have a collection of gemstones which I would like to sell, but does anyone know which is the best place for this? I live in Denmark and there is not really a market for gemstones here, so I have to sell them abroad. But is there any retailers which will sell gemstones for private collectors, if they get a share of the profit?
Best wishes
Rene

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That's little tough because you are overseas. It also depends on the price range of your stones, and if you have lab reports.

In general, the collectors here (including me), sell on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro. You can go over to the Preloved Forum to see how the posters here sell their stones, and the prices. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/[/URL]

In general, the prices that gemstones are sold for at resale are quite low/competitive. For white diamonds, they are usually sold for 50-60% of the original retail price, with a GIA lab report. Colored stones can vary. I would want a reputable lab report (AGL preferred) for any stones above $1000. For sapphires and rubies less than $1000, I would still want a lab report that states it is not flux/glass or BE-treated.

As you are overseas, you may want to consign at a place like Jewels by Grace. Pricescopers frequently look at the inventory at her website:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
ReneTS|1415364163|3779064 said:
Hi
I have a collection of gemstones which I would like to sell, but does anyone know which is the best place for this? I live in Denmark and there is not really a market for gemstones here, so I have to sell them abroad. But is there any retailers which will sell gemstones for private collectors, if they get a share of the profit?
Best wishes
Rene

Hey Rene,

depend on what you have to sell - high end, cheap commercial stone, rare collector gems....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow is correct; the avenue of sale will be different depending on what you are selling. Very high end gemstones might warrant auction houses. Fine quality (much higher than commercial) might do well online such as LoupeTroupe, DiamondBistro, and the like, perhaps even on commission by a jeweller. Cheap commercial is best sold on eBay.

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your replies. I will try and look into the options you have mentioned. The stones I would like to sell is a 4ct spessartine garnet cut by Lloyd Forrester, a 1.92ct natural jadeite cabochon bought from AJS gems and an abalone peal from pearls paradise. I think i paid something around $1000 for the spessartine and pearl and $3000 for the jadeite. Here are a few pictures:

imag0100.jpg

garnet-g14.jpg

_23913.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those will do well in LoupeTroop and DiamondBistro. Once you've set up your account and advertisement there, Log In to the Pricescope Cafe -> Pre-Loved PS Jewels section and start a new thread there to notify others about your new listing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a lab report stating that the jadeite is Type A (untreated)?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The spess is easy to sell here - very beautiful and I am sure some here are really nervous.....lechz sabber

The jadeite - LIAO were are you!!!! If A jade - WOW !!!!!

Abalone - no experience with this material...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Marlow, what is "lechz sabber"? Do I need a German translator or something?
And not just Liao. I'm eyeing the jade cabochon too, especially if it turns out to be untreated. ;))

liao

Shiny_Rock
if you did not mention AJS, I might asked for more pic. Unfortunately, I will not deal with AJS for jadeite. Their jadeites are literally overpriced. The quality is not good either. I saw this jadeite about a year ago:

http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/jadeite-jade/burma-jade-5.75-carats.html

I can easily find jadeite with the same quality and weight, but 20% of AJS' asking price. This kind of jadeite is the best that I can find in rough jadeite auction in Burma. fyi, the odd of winning powerball's grand prize is bigger than the odd of finding top of the line jadeite in jadeite rough auction :shifty:

Do not get me wrong, AJS is a great vendor for other gemstone, but for jadeite, I will not deal with them

Even if that jadeite is A graded, I will pass on this one :snooty:

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
Yes I do have a certificate from GIT which is the one included when I bought the stone. It looks fantastic especially in sunlight where the warm green glow is just wonderful. But sadly there is not that many sunny days where I live :wall: The prices also seems to have increased a lot on AJS gems website since I bought it some years ago. As Liao says they look quite crazy now, and I dont expect to get that kind of prices for it. And it actually is 2.08ct and not 1.92ct :)

I also imagine the spessartine is the easiest too sell as it is more known. I also got it for a good price, as he had a sale when I bought it so it was half price or something like that. But it is 3.05ct and not the 4ct I first mentioned. But i still think the price was very good, when I compare it with others for sale. It can still be seen on clearcutgems.com under his portfolio. The materiel is from Loliondo Tanzania.
The photos are the ones he took, which is why they look different than the others. I will try and take some myself, when I get it listed for sale on the websites mentioned.

I guess the abalone pearl will be the most difficult to sell, as even the gemologist I contacted about it some years ago, didn't know what it was. They are natural pearls so quite rare from what I know, but looks great especially in low light, where the colors are most vivid. In daylight the colors fade, so I would definitely call it an evening pearl.

But how do people arrange shipping when trading between continents? Is there a safe way where both seller and buyer is secured?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
International shipping is the most problematic. It can be tracked online and there is the option of signing to acknowledge receipt of the package but insurance is very expensive. I'm not sure what is available to you in Denmark.

liao

Shiny_Rock
if it need a sunlight to glow, it just an ordinary imperial jadeite. normal sunlight intensity is around 10000-30000 lux. A great jadeite has to glow under <1000 lux. Do not get me wrong, even if it is an ordinary imperial jadeite, it will fetch several thousands in the current market. Unfortunately, I always put a high standard when it come to jadeite.

if you want a serious buyer for your jadeite, send your jadeite to gubelin. remember! gubelin only! :angel:

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
It also glows without sunlight just not as much :) I have tried including a few more photos:

imag0098.jpg

imag0048.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1415380118|3779237 said:
Hey Marlow, what is "lechz sabber"? Do I need a German translator or something?
And not just Liao. I'm eyeing the jade cabochon too, especially if it turns out to be untreated. ;))

Imagine a golden retriever and show him a sausage - then you see " lechz sabber" :D

slobber, dribble

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
liao|1415383463|3779289 said:
ReneTS|1415383287|3779288 said:
It also glows without sunlight just not as much :) I have tried including a few more photos:

it is not glowing. take a look at my post here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reputable-jade-jadeite-bangle-online-vendors.207425/#p3776044']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reputable-jade-jadeite-bangle-online-vendors.207425/#p3776044[/URL]

It do look good yes :) How much did that piece cost?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Were do you live in Denmark? I was born in Flensburg!

I like the jadeite - liao has a great knowledge but we see never pieces like this - start to love this material!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1415382133|3779270 said:
International shipping is the most problematic. It can be tracked online and there is the option of signing to acknowledge receipt of the package but insurance is very expensive. I'm not sure what is available to you in Denmark.

It could be a problem to sell burmese jadeite to the USA....

liao

Shiny_Rock
I bought it from a burmese collector for $1000 in 1979. it is not the best jadeite I have ever seen! A lot of museum have antique jadeite with higher quality than mine. that jadeite is still lacking in term of clarity and others :errrr:

Marlow|1415384179|3779301 said:
Chrono|1415382133|3779270 said:

It could be a problem to sell burmese jadeite to the USA....

yeah, that stupid sanction! if you want to know more, read "Executive Order -- Prohibiting Certain Imports of Burmese Jadeite and Rubies".

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
I live in Vejle so it is about halfway up Jutland on the east coast. So not that far from Flensborg :)

It cost about $65 to send a package insured to US so not that bad. But the ban could be a problem of course, so I have to investigate that before a sale. But Germany will of course be cheaper and easier :)

But how do people arrange the money transfer with these kind of deals?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I know near nothing about jadeite so your piece looks nice to me. I could see the spess selling quickly here.

Best of luck.

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
LoversKites|1415386248|3779322 said:
I know near nothing about jadeite so your piece looks nice to me. I could see the spess selling quickly here.

Best of luck.

Thanks :) It is one of my favorites, but I have to admit I will never be able to afford the setting I had planned for it. So I think it is about time to let it go, as I could use the money on the house I just bought. So I hope it will find a new home soon :)

liao

Shiny_Rock
try to contact "Chia Ta Jewellery Co Ltd", usually they give a descent price for jadeite of this quality

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Good point about the jadeite and not being able to import Burmese stones into the US. It is better for you to find a European buyer for the jadeite.

I think what Liao means by "glow" is that it would look almost neon. In the US, it is very difficult/impossible to find high quality jadeite because there is no market for it.

You can also contact Mason-Kay, if they have an office in Europe? They will buy jadeite. I don't know about the price they will offer you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think he'll find a larger market for his jadeite in Asia but European buyers might be willing to pay a bit more than the Asians due to the lack of availability.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Offer the spessartine on loupetroop - the size, cutting and shape + color ( and I see the typical inclusions) is perfect for a nice ring...

Depending on the price you will sell it here I am sure.

Jadeite....difficult - you need the right person who understand this magic material ( like top gem silica too).

My advice - forget the abalone - post the spess here and take the jadeite and visit the Mineral and gemshow in Hamburg
(05-07.Dezember.2014 ) - a larger show and a good chance maybe to offer ( but first to talk about!!!) the cab.

Do not expect to sell it easily but you will see what reaction you will get.

www.lapis.de... there you find informations about the exhibition.

I know a chinese lady from Belgium selling Netsuke ( mammoth Ivory and wood) - her husband sells some very good quality gems.
Could be interesting too.

ReneTS

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much... I have sent an email to Masonkay and HKTDC, so hopefully they might be able to help. In the meantime I will try and post them on loupetroop tomorrow and see what happens :)

liao

Shiny_Rock
ReneTS|1415403284|3779485 said:
Thank you very much... I have sent an email to Masonkay and HKTDC, so hopefully they might be able to help. In the meantime I will try and post them on loupetroop tomorrow and see what happens :)

why do you send email to HKTDC? it's a database site of Chinese companies. that database might have Chia Ta Jewellery Co Ltd in its server, but you need contact Chia Ta Jewellery Co Ltd instead of the database administrator :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results