shape
carat
color
clarity

Best deal you've ever got??

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't we have a "Show Me Your Chrysoberyl" thread for a while? We should revive it if we can find it... :praise:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
This basically is a show me your chrysoberyl thread :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1399740175|3669751 said:
Didn't we have a "Show Me Your Chrysoberyl" thread for a while? We should revive it if we can find it... :praise:

my quick google search hasnt found one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's platinum.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I don't have a huge collection (yet... :naughty: ), but putting aside my predilection for pretty but fairly cheap quartzes, I was very lucky to get in when I did and snatch up my Tsavorites last year before market prices exploded. 2x perfectly matched medium-dark green, a smidgin under a carat each, and we paid just under $140/ct (AUD). It sounds like a lot, but I haven't found anything comparable in price for quite a while.

If we're looking at a price per wear model, I have already gotten a LOT of value out of these little green darlings in their new earring homes. They had very minor windows which completely closed on setting.

My most recent steal was for my birthday star ruby cabachons (or star dark-pink sapphires for the purists in the room). Over 6cts total , and I paid around $400AUD for the pair. They're heated only, but even with that I haven't found anything remotely close to that price with that sort of clarity and vivid colour.

_18023.jpg

_18024.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
InToTheMystic|1399856013|3670724 said:
I don't have a huge collection (yet... :naughty: ), but putting aside my predilection for pretty but fairly cheap quartzes, I was very lucky to get in when I did and snatch up my Tsavorites last year before market prices exploded. 2x perfectly matched medium-dark green, a smidgin under a carat each, and we paid just under $140/ct (AUD). It sounds like a lot, but I haven't found anything comparable in price for quite a while.

If we're looking at a price per wear model, I have already gotten a LOT of value out of these little green darlings in their new earring homes. They had very minor windows which completely closed on setting.

My most recent steal was for my birthday star ruby cabachons (or star dark-pink sapphires for the purists in the room). Over 6cts total , and I paid around $400AUD for the pair. They're heated only, but even with that I haven't found anything remotely close to that price with that sort of clarity and vivid colour.

Wow, I adore those star sapphires! They are gorgeous.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1399866306|3670807 said:
InToTheMystic|1399856013|3670724 said:

Wow, I adore those star sapphires! They are gorgeous.

Thanks Minous :) They're heated, not top colour and the asterism is fairly faint, which I suspect contributed to their price- along with being cabs instead of faceted, of course. Despite all that though, I'm still pretty smug about how much I paid! It's one of the good things about building up a long term buying relationship with particular lapidaries. They tend to look after you well once the trust is established.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1399857059|3670734 said:
FrekeChild|1399784918|3670174 said:
My best deal is actually a diamond piece - a horizontal baguette band. My friend pointed it out to me on ebay, because it was too big for her. <$500, retails around $4k.

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/Platinum-Channel-Set-Eternity-Band-19-Horizontal-p/f1296s.htm
Wow! Under $500 is a steal!

I did fairly good with this baguette diamond band. 2.00 ctw. 3/4 eternity in 18k WG for $1850. Love it and wear it all the time!
I thought so too!

I love step cuts! They are so beautiful! Yours is no exception!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Even more amazing, probably the highest resale value of any of the deals I've seen on here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I speak for most of the regulars here when I write that we do not purchase with resale value in mind when we make our purchases. We are realistic as to what prices these gems go for, so we try our best to get the nicest stone for our budgets.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
I know, but what I am saying is it is almost impossible to get even a 50% return, the platinum band was such a great deal it would actually turn a profit. I'm amazed Freke purchased it below scrap value. That was my point.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1399979876|3671568 said:
I know, but what I am saying is it is almost impossible to get even a 50% return, the platinum band was such a great deal it would actually turn a profit. I'm amazed Freke purchased it below scrap value. That was my point.

You'd be surprised at how little scrap value for metal goes for if you're not in the trade. I have a very heavy platinum ring mounting with diamond baguettes, and no one will give me more than $300 for it. Therefore, we are all aware of what we can sell these things for, but many of us refuse to pay full retail prices on things if we know we can get a deal. It's also fun to hunt for good deals.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL said:
You'd be surprised at how little scrap value for metal goes for if you're not in the trade. I have a very heavy platinum ring mounting with diamond baguettes, and no one will give me more than $300 for it. Therefore, we are all aware of what we can sell these things for, but many of us refuse to pay full retail prices on things if we know we can get a deal. It's also fun to hunt for good deals.

This is why I probably will never shop retail again.

I have gotten quite a few good deals since finding PS. I don't have a lot of them anymore since I have since sold quite a few of it to buy my twin bypass ring from JBEG but I'll share them anyways :)

First up is my gemstones by the yard necklace with 3 pendants bought from a PSer on DB. Paid $350 for all of it and it was painful when I got dinged with 150.00 fees at the boarder. Now everything is shipped to my folks lol! But still 500.00 for the lot of it wasn't a bad price.

Second was my WF SBTY necklace-18k white gold with 14 sapphires AAA grade and around 3mm each. I think we paid under 400.00 for it but I can't recall. This has been sent to JBG to be traded for a .53 OMC bezel pendant since it wasn't getting love here.

Next up is a sapphire that I picked up (around 1 carat don't know the mm-has since been sold) for $20 on DB that was heat only and a beautiful cornflower blue. White gold tulip setting was another DB buy for $50.00 as well-set it at Jared and got ripped off on that but it was still a nice ring and I was sad to see it go but my bypass ring gets worn daily so it was worth it :) Diamond band also in the photo (since sold) was an 18k white gold ring custom made by Liz C that I got for $450.00 on DB as well.

Yellow gold band is artcarved and was $95.00 on ebay.

I love a good deal and I have been bartering things I no longer use for things that are more me. Jewelry included! I love seeing what everyone has gotten-keep sharing please :)

8361218.jpg

_18064.jpg

tulip_0.jpg

p1010228_-_copy.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond OMC/single cut/OEC snowflake pendant with fixed chain was a 450.00 ebay find.

Engagement ring was another DB buy-around 1.64 carats H VVS 1930s fishtale setting for 4500.00

Not a steal like the others but my 1ctw OEC martini earrings were 1100.00 on DB a few years ago-great color/clarity too.

I have a lot more but my most recent one I thought I paid a fair price for was artisan made sterling silver carved opal flower earrings. Ear shot from seller since all my photos come out crappy. Paid $75.00 for them and I wear them often.

Oh I also got some beautiful 18K YG hoops (small) that are very well made for 120.00 but I have no photos. I wear those more than any of the other earrings I own.

p1010229_-_copy.jpg

p1000891_-_0.jpg

_18065.jpg

20131122_222622.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1399986227|3671622 said:
psproot12|1399979876|3671568 said:

It is fun to hunt for good deals. I wouldn't have gotten the band if it wasn't for my friend hunting for it though. It was a lucky lucky find.

If I wanted to resell it (and I don't) from what I've seen on LT that is selling, I could potentially make a chunk of change off of it.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229|1399988933|3671646 said:
My diamond OMC/single cut/OEC snowflake pendant with fixed chain was a 450.00 ebay find.

Engagement ring was another DB buy-around 1.64 carats H VVS 1930s fishtale setting for 4500.00

Not a steal like the others but my 1ctw OEC martini earrings were 1100.00 on DB a few years ago-great color/clarity too.

I have a lot more but my most recent one I thought I paid a fair price for was artisan made sterling silver carved opal flower earrings. Ear shot from seller since all my photos come out crappy. Paid $75.00 for them and I wear them often.

Oh I also got some beautiful 18K YG hoops (small) that are very well made for 120.00 but I have no photos. I wear those more than any of the other earrings I own.

Back in the old country (Pakistan) and in other parts of Asia, how jewelry is sold is sold, the market price of gold + the rapaport of diamonds + price of other gems + labor (very, very cheap. Average salary for craftspeople is $300/month) all x 20% and that's the price you pay. There is so much competition nobody dares to charge anything more. So my mom picked up (gold at this time was $1500/ounce) 30g 22k hoops for $1600! Pretty great considering there was $1455 of gold in the earrings. Just wanted to share the difference in jewelry pricing, and the way business is done among cultures.

The opal earrings are beautiful! Love the carvings!! :appl:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229|1399988165|3671641 said:
TL said:

I have gotten quite a few good deals since finding PS. I don't have a lot of them anymore since I have since sold quite a few of it to buy my twin bypass ring from JBEG but I'll share them anyways :)

First up is my gemstones by the yard necklace with 3 pendants bought from a PSer on DB. Paid $350 for all of it and it was painful when I got dinged with 150.00 fees at the boarder. Now everything is shipped to my folks lol! But still 500.00 for the lot of it wasn't a bad price.

Second was my WF SBTY necklace-18k white gold with 14 sapphires AAA grade and around 3mm each. I think we paid under 400.00 for it but I can't recall. This has been sent to JBG to be traded for a .53 OMC bezel pendant since it wasn't getting love here.

Next up is a sapphire that I picked up (around 1 carat don't know the mm-has since been sold) for $20 on DB that was heat only and a beautiful cornflower blue. White gold tulip setting was another DB buy for $50.00 as well-set it at Jared and got ripped off on that but it was still a nice ring and I was sad to see it go but my bypass ring gets worn daily so it was worth it :) Diamond band also in the photo (since sold) was an 18k white gold ring custom made by Liz C that I got for $450.00 on DB as well.

I love a good deal and I have been bartering things I no longer use for things that are more me. Jewelry included! I love seeing what everyone has gotten-keep sharing please :)

Yikes! $150 in fees on a $350 purchase? Which border? Canada/US? Which side are you on, I know Canadians usually pay a lot for getting US products imported, you should have it labeled as a "gift", there are always ways to get around stupid fees like that!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
TL,

Yes, I know how little scrap values are. That is why I am impressed by her band, because it's actually capable of turning a profit. I know resale value isn't a consideration to most PSers, I was just saying how impressive it is somebody actually managed to land a profitable resale value deal.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1400024779|3672118 said:
vintagelover229|1399988165|3671641 said:
TL said:

Yikes! $150 in fees on a $350 purchase? Which border? Canada/US? Which side are you on, I know Canadians usually pay a lot for getting US products imported, you should have it labeled as a "gift", there are always ways to get around stupid fees like that!

It was labeled as a gift but alas the seller shipped using UPS. UPS has a 'brokerage' fee they tacked onto it (60 or 65.00 I can't remember) + the 13% tax + duties. That is the first and only time I've ever gotten hit. That was a hard one to swallow since it took some convincing my DH at the time that this set was a great deal and that my birthday gift was worth it. He wasn't happy and neither was I. Nothing I could do though :knockout: I'm in Ontario and it came from the states. I no longer ship anything UPS-everything I've ever gotten (including my own clothing/etc) that my dad shipped up got hit with crazy fee's too. 75.00 to get my own shoes and clothes!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1400025109|3672122 said:
TL,

Yes, I know how little scrap values are. That is why I am impressed by her band, because it's actually capable of turning a profit. I know resale value isn't a consideration to most PSers, I was just saying how impressive it is somebody actually managed to land a profitable resale value deal.

Yes, her band was a great deal, and it will sell for more because it's beautiful, rather than for scrap value. For example, a pawn shop owner will only give you minimal scrap value for the diamonds and metal, but if you sell it on LT, or some place where people will appreciate it for it's beauty, workmanship, you will probably get more.

I was just saying that in general, scrap value yields very little return $$$ if you resell based on that alone.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
vintage,

That's insane! 13% sales tax is just ludicrous! I'm an engineer, and I move from state to state depending on where they post me and right now I'm in Oklahoma now and even in the most taxed city, sales tax only comes to 11%! When I was stationed Alaska there was absolutely 0% tax (prices were generally very expensive though) but other than processed food no tax. Quite a few states have no sales tax, but 13% is insanity! I'm shocked about the fees the company and border tacked on!

I've been to Toronto, had a great time! I went to the Sky Dome to see a Raptor's game with my cousins (Sky Dome is now the roger's center right? Or am I confusing something?) and I checked out a few jewelry stores with my aunt (she bought a pair of diamond studs, I tried to convince her we could do better online but she wouldn't listen). Anyways, Toronto is a nice city but for 13% tax, I'd rather go back to Anchorage :lol: :lol: !!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1400023536|3672096 said:
Back in the old country (Pakistan) and in other parts of Asia, how jewelry is sold is sold, the market price of gold + the rapaport of diamonds + price of other gems + labor (very, very cheap. Average salary for craftspeople is $300/month) all x 20% and that's the price you pay. There is so much competition nobody dares to charge anything more. So my mom picked up (gold at this time was $1500/ounce) 30g 22k hoops for $1600! Pretty great considering there was $1455 of gold in the earrings. Just wanted to share the difference in jewelry pricing, and the way business is done among cultures.

I agree that it is best to buy and sell gold in Asian countries because pricing is based on weight and there is very little additional labour cost for the design. Not only that, it is easy to get high purity gold as well, from 22K to 24K. It is easy to trade up a piece of gold jewellery because there is minimal difference in the buying and selling price. It is also very easy to trade in gold jewellery for fast cash or a good profit when gold price goes up for the same reason.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1400067985|3672472 said:
vintage,

That's insane! 13% sales tax is just ludicrous! I'm an engineer, and I move from state to state depending on where they post me and right now I'm in Oklahoma now and even in the most taxed city, sales tax only comes to 11%! When I was stationed Alaska there was absolutely 0% tax (prices were generally very expensive though) but other than processed food no tax. Quite a few states have no sales tax, but 13% is insanity! I'm shocked about the fees the company and border tacked on!

I've been to Toronto, had a great time! I went to the Sky Dome to see a Raptor's game with my cousins (Sky Dome is now the roger's center right? Or am I confusing something?) and I checked out a few jewelry stores with my aunt (she bought a pair of diamond studs, I tried to convince her we could do better online but she wouldn't listen). Anyways, Toronto is a nice city but for 13% tax, I'd rather go back to Anchorage :lol: :lol: !!

I grew up in the states and it's taken me some time to get used to that is for sure. And that's just on buying stuff-when we got a new car (Ford SUV) that 13% is HUGE. They have a show called market place and they went to Buffalo and did a price comparison on simple things like cough drops and tires and even things made in Canada were over 30-50% MORE EXPENSIVE here. They asked a marketing person and they flat out said it's only because Canadians will pay it. Seriously-a package of made in canada drops were 2.99 in the states and that same package was 8.99 up here. WTF!?

Since shipping increased 50% internationally (used to be able to do a simple mailer from the states for under 10.00) it has hurt shopping even more. I'm *very* careful about what I buy now-and there really isn't any 'bling' fund anymore. Everything I own has to be bought pre-owned or traded for. I'm in the process of getting a .53 OMC bezel pendant made in YG and don't have a suitable chain-the vendor (who is great) had one for $140.00 which IMO is more than fair for a nice quality chain but with CND being only .89 to 1.00 US that tacks 10.00 onto every 100.00 I spend. I went hunting on ebay and sent the poor woman 1000x links and she picked out one that came to 98.00 CND-which still saved me about 50%.

I hate having to do stuff like that especially since I'm already getting it on a trade but at this point between high shipping costs-high sales tax-high income taxes (we do have decent health care but my husbands benefits really make the difference) everyone really has to watch their $.

I joke that people can't afford to drink/smoke because a pack of smokes is over 12.00 a pack and a cheap case of beer will still set you back (a 12 pack) at least 15.00 where's in the states you can easily get a 6 pack for around 5 bucks! I used to drink captain morgan and a handle cost around $15.00 and that same handle is 38.00 + 13% tax up here!

But for diamonds/jewelery it's still worth the import fee's since the stuff they sell up here (at most stores) isn't that great.

For your laughs here is a description and photos with price of a ring being offered at a local store

1.00 carat I2-L diamond ring 18 karat gold $2450.00

e8130.1 1.00ct dia ring 18kt18 karat yellow gold; now that’s different. I say this with a touch of sarcasm because it seems all we see these days are white gold rings. Just about 100% of new brides are choosing white gold or platinum for their rings. You can’t get more traditional than a 1.00 carat solitaire on a 18 karat yellow gold tulip shank. The diamond measures 6.25mm diameter and weighs 1.00 carat of an I2-L quality with an average cut.e8130 1.00ct. I2-L The setting weighs 3.9 grams and measures a finger size 5.5. As typical industry practice (unfortunately) the ring was originally sold with an appraisal documenting the ring and assessing a very high retail value of $6050.00. The original price tag of $3999.00 is also included. Funny how the price you pay never matches their “replacement value”. I guarantee it could quite easily be replaced for the original sticker price of $3995.00 or less. It is our opinion these appraisals should not be used to ascertain an items value but to be used for identification purposes only.
Wouldn’t it be refreshing to see an insurance replacement appraisal that represents a more competitive replacement value. After all isn’t that the world we live in. If you ask us to supply an insurance appraisal for this item we will accurately document the rings design and quality then assign a competitive retail replacement value of $3500.00. Because this is a previously owned item it is offered for the discounted estate price of $2450.00

e8130.jpg

_18169.jpg

e8130-260x300.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, glad you like the earrings VintageLover! I didn't expect to see them here! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Included diamonds can be really good buys. I bought a well cut beautiful champagne diamond of one carat. It had a needle going across the face, but the diamond was $250.

It's the big round diamond all the way on the right hand side of this ring (side view). You can't even see the needle unless you look super up close. It's very clean otherwise.

file.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another picture of it.

file.jpg

The brown color helps to hide the inclusion, all it does is sparkle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results