shape
carat
color
clarity

Be-diffused sapphire... I want one!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I know most people here don't like treated/enhanced stones, but I happen to really, really like the look of Be-diffused sapphires (orange or orange/pink) and the prices are so insanely low that it would be a good occasion to have a "fun piece" for really cheap.

Do you guys have any advice where to get them from? And also, is there a risk some places have better quality diffusion than others? (ie, thin?) While I don't mind to have a diffused natural sapphire as long as the price is right, I would mind if it was synthetic.

Any ebay vendors in particular? Gemselect?

I'm thinking oval, over 1.5 cts to be put in WG halo, maybe lanbo4 setting. I like the padparadsha colors or slightly red oranges, medium darkness (don't like dark stones).

Thanks!

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm not so sure you will find Be treated stones as cheap as people make them out to sound here. Even lab created sapphire doesn't sell for pennies per ct.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay.

It's absolutely littered with them and you can get some lovely looking stones incredibly cheaply! Just be aware that nice looking gemstones with a strong colour can also be synthetics or simulants.

BE diffusion isn't thick or think as it diffuses the entire gem - not just a coating.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1294947805|2821873 said:
Ebay.

It's absolutely littered with them and you can get some lovely looking stones incredibly cheaply! Just be aware that nice looking gemstones with a strong colour can also be synthetics or simulants.

BE diffusion isn't thick or think as it diffuses the entire gem - not just a coating.

Yes, 99% of all perfect pink-orange sapphires on ebay are synthetic or be-diffused. If you find that perfect pink-orange sapphire on ebay with a starting price of 99 cents, it's most likely diffused, even if it states natural and heated. It's still a natural heated sapphire, but it's diffused during the heating process. Most sellers leave that tidbit of information out.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got to agree completely...I just sent one back to a vendor because it was treated. You should have no problem finding what you want on ebay. You might even search terms like "lattice diffused" or "beryllium diffused," as many vendors disclose. I'm sure whatever you find will be bright and sparkly. Good luck!

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I am with precisiongem on this. The Be treated ones are NOT cheap at all. I see quite a lot in Asia and the bigger pieces are priced at $80 per carat or so in many known jewellery shop!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Though they are still very cheap sometimes as they got off to a bad marketing start, so to speak, the treatment has become and is becoming more and more accepted. Natural Sapphires in wild bright and beautiful colors that do not fade and are safe for consumers simply could not be ignored for long by smart shoppers.
You may look for one that has a little bit of inclusion visible in a magnified photo when shopping online to avoid getting a synthetic from a vendor that does not disclose properly, or simply shop the ones that do disclose properly and get the cleanest one you like.
I love these stones for setting in jewelry, especially as accents. Being corundum they are difficult to damage when setting and add a tremendous amount of color to pieces for a very reasonable cost. Best regards, Lee

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Lee Little|1295009467|2822585 said:
Though they are still very cheap sometimes as they got off to a bad marketing start, so to speak, the treatment has become and is becoming more and more accepted. Natural Sapphires in wild bright and beautiful colors that do not fade and are safe for consumers simply could not be ignored for long by smart shoppers.
You may look for one that has a little bit of inclusion visible in a magnified photo when shopping online to avoid getting a synthetic from a vendor that does not disclose properly, or simply shop the ones that do disclose properly and get the cleanest one you like.
I love these stones for setting in jewelry, especially as accents. Being corundum they are difficult to damage when setting and add a tremendous amount of color to pieces for a very reasonable cost. Best regards, Lee

While this poster may claim to speak for the gemstone trade, I think most reputable gemstone dealers would disagree with his assessment.

Beryllium diffused sapphires have a place at the low end of the market, but it would not be fair to say that this treatment "has become and is becoming more accepted." The people who buy diffused sapphires are generally those who know little or nothing about sapphire. The market for this material is not what one could describe as "smart shoppers." Beryllium diffused corundum is in fact not taken seriously by the trade as a fine gemstone. To call a beryllium diffused sapphire a "natural sapphire" is stretching the truth to the breaking point. The original material is natural, but the gem has effectively been dyed to produce a color which is far from natural.

While one can say that beryllium diffused sapphire is "safe for consumers," one could hardly say the same for the people on the manufacturing side who perform this treatment. Beryllium is one of the most toxic chemicals known, The most commonly known effect of beryllium is called berylliosis, a dangerous and persistent lung disorder that can also damage other organs, such as the heart. In about 20% of all cases people die of this disease, caused by breathing beryllium particles in the workplace.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
morecarats|1295012936|2822605 said:
Lee Little|1295009467|2822585 said:

While this poster may claim to speak for the gemstone trade, I think most reputable gemstone dealers would disagree with his assessment.

Beryllium diffused sapphires have a place at the low end of the market, but it would not be fair to say that this treatment "has become and is becoming more accepted." The people who buy diffused sapphires are generally those who know little or nothing about sapphire. The market for this material is not what one could describe as "smart shoppers." Beryllium diffused corundum is in fact not taken seriously by the trade as a fine gemstone. To call a beryllium diffused sapphire a "natural sapphire" is stretching the truth to the breaking point. The original material is natural, but the gem has effectively been dyed to produce a color which is far from natural.

While one can say that beryllium diffused sapphire is "safe for consumers," one could hardly say the same for the people on the manufacturing side who perform this treatment. Beryllium is one of the most toxic chemicals known, The most commonly known effect of beryllium is called berylliosis, a dangerous and persistent lung disorder that can also damage other organs, such as the heart. In about 20% of all cases people die of this disease, caused by breathing beryllium particles in the workplace.

Thank you Morecarats. I 100% agree with your post.

BE diffusion is acceptable to those who (a) know nothing about gemstones and just want a pretty gem at a price they may be able to afford or (b) those who understand and accept the treatment.

It is NOT more accepted. The market is flooded with BE diffused stones and people buy not knowing, typically, what they've bought. So it's much more of a blind acceptance than anything that reflects reality.

As for cost? They are incredibly cheap. You only have to look at Ebay or at the jewellery shopping networks to see that they are.

Anybody who buys jewellery as a hobby or collects gemstones/jewellery will typically shy away from any diffused sapphire. If you wanted a Rolls Royce would you buy one with a Skoda inside because it looks the same?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
If natural corundum is Al2O3, does Be treatment alter it's molecular makeup? I have been reading a LOT about jadeite while trying to find a necklace of nice beads that wouldn't require a lifetime of savings, and learned that most so-called jadeite has been bleached, dyed, and polymer filled. The bleaching process removes sodium (I think) and changes the molecular make-up... Essentially changing jadeite to something else in a way... Wonder if it is the same with sapphires... That would make Be treated sapphires NOT corundum anymore if it does change the molecular make-up wouldn't it?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
soberguy|1295024219|2822703 said:
Wonder if it is the same with sapphires... That would make Be treated sapphires NOT corundum anymore if it does change the molecular make-up wouldn't it?

I know almost nothing about the "scientific" part of gemstones, although I am trying to learn, but from what I have read on this forum, only a lab with very expensive equipment can verify (for certain) if a heated sapphire has been BE treated, so it couldn't be changing the molecular make-up all that much could it? Not disagreeing with ANYONE'S post, just trying to understand for my own education.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
soberguy|1295024219|2822703 said:
If natural corundum is Al2O3, does Be treatment alter it's molecular makeup? I have been reading a LOT about jadeite while trying to find a necklace of nice beads that wouldn't require a lifetime of savings, and learned that most so-called jadeite has been bleached, dyed, and polymer filled. The bleaching process removes sodium (I think) and changes the molecular make-up... Essentially changing jadeite to something else in a way... Wonder if it is the same with sapphires... That would make Be treated sapphires NOT corundum anymore if it does change the molecular make-up wouldn't it?

According to the labs even B and C grade Jadeite is still Jadeite. Not to say you should accept it, just that the molecular structure still reads as Jadeite. The bleaching removes some strength from the Jadeite, not good. They do it so the color agents can get in, then they seal the holes the bleach caused with Opticon or other polymer filler which also adds to the translucence. Lots of jadeite has had this treatment but generally not the bland colors with opaque clarity. If there is translucence and good colors such as lavender and grass green then you need to check for treatments if you want A grade Jadeite. Even bland colors are often polymer filled, however, lots and lots of Jadeite is untreated A grade.
On the other hand, corundum heated with a Beryl product has nothing removed like the treated Jadeite. The high temps open up the lattice molecular structure and the tiny beryllium molecules float inside the temporary openings. The openings close upon the stone cooling and the color agent is trapped inside forever, we think. Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not affect the molecular structure. A BE diffused Sapphire is essentially a poor colour sapphire that otherwise would (typically) be unmarketable and very cheap, put through a process that changes its colour to a more acceptable (generally vibrantly coloured) sapphire. It's still a sapphire however. The issue is not whether it's stable (it is) or whether it's still a sapphire (it is) but whether somebody wants a sapphire that has an articial colour and not as nature intended. This is man's intervention.

You could argue that heating a gemstone is also man's intervention but my argument here is that the heating process (and this is the most basic view of it - and I know the arguments about temperatures etc) also changes the colour but does it in a way that the gemstone changes as nature would have intended had the earth had a chance to naturally work it's magic and heat it that way.

At the end of the day, a natural gemstone, mined as nature intended is, for me, always the most fascinating and acceptable!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diffusion does not alter the molecular structure so it’ll still register as a natural sapphire. Diffusion is equivalent to a dye job other than the fact that the dye is permanent and permeates throughout the stone.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
From Mason Kay's website:

Poor quality jade rough with internal ‘staining' or structural
flaws is immersed in a powerful acid (sulfuric or hydrochloric)
which is sometimes heated to increase its strength. This emersion
process can be repeated and can last for several weeks. The working
fumes are quite toxic and this procedure is not without risk.
The resulting stone has now been changed: the sodium in the
sodium silicate of jade’s structure has been leached out and with
them the internal stains. At this point, many experts say, the stone
is no longer jadeite jade at all
. The stone is then put into a neutralizing
agent, after which a polymer is injected into the stone
with the use of a centrifuge. The stone is then entirely covered
with a hard, clear plastic-like coating. Cutting and polishing are
then performed as they would be on any jade stone.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Chrono,

I was under the impression that Be was what colored natural pad sapphires, and that the diffusion treatment was just diffusing in Be artificially (and only to the surface, not to the entire gem). So it is not really like dyeing, which uses an agent that is not related to a natural stone colorant. But I could be wrong about this. If so, what is it that does color natural pads?

(soberguy, in general pure aluminum oxide is colorless. It is the impurities that give corundum its color -- titanium and iron for blue, chromium for red.)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deorwine|1295034892|2822855 said:
Chrono,

I was under the impression that Be was what colored natural pad sapphires, and that the diffusion treatment was just diffusing in Be artificially (and only to the surface, not to the entire gem). So it is not really like dyeing, which uses an agent that is not related to a natural stone colorant. But I could be wrong about this. If so, what is it that does color natural pads?

(soberguy, in general pure aluminum oxide is colorless. It is the impurities that give corundum its color -- titanium and iron for blue, chromium for red.)

Deorwine - I believe that Padparadschas colour come from manganese and chromium not beryllium (although I believe it is present in many gemstones). When BE diffusion first hit the market, it was a surface coating only and could be scratched off. This was developed further and for a number of years now, BE diffusion has been, as Chrono said, a dyeing process and it colours the gem inside and out.

The GIA issued a paper on naturally occuring beryllium in corundum and said "the recent discovery of naturally occurring beryllium in corundum means this material must be studied to avoid confusion with corundum that has been beryllium-diffused to alter its color."

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
soberguy|1295029050|2822790 said:
From Mason Kay's website:

Poor quality jade rough with internal ‘staining' or structural
flaws is immersed in a powerful acid (sulfuric or hydrochloric)
which is sometimes heated to increase its strength. This emersion
process can be repeated and can last for several weeks. The working
fumes are quite toxic and this procedure is not without risk.
The resulting stone has now been changed: the sodium in the
sodium silicate of jade’s structure has been leached out and with
them the internal stains. At this point, many experts say, the stone
is no longer jadeite jade at all
. The stone is then put into a neutralizing
agent, after which a polymer is injected into the stone
with the use of a centrifuge. The stone is then entirely covered
with a hard, clear plastic-like coating. Cutting and polishing are
then performed as they would be on any jade stone.

Hi Soberguy,
The brothers of Mason Kay are great guys that I respect tremendously, however, one should take into consideration certain business interest. The heart of their business is untreated Jadeite. Certainly the statement is accurate, many experts do say that B and C Jadeite is no longer Jade at all, however, the general consensus among experts is that it still is Jade. Best regards, Lee

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results