shape
carat
color
clarity

Barry's Drop

kt

Shiny_Rock
ooh, super pretty! i dropped too much $$ at Dana's sale so I have to be good, but that 8.5mm tourmaline was tempting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave up on Barry's drops, everything sells out too fast that I had my eyes on. I am looking forward to seeing all you "quick fingers" Barry stones though!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The blue spinel looks lovely, congrats.

I took a conveniently timed toilet break at work to check it out when it was all listed - wanted to see the spess. Nothing against BB, but it just wasn't for me. I want the lovely glowy neon look and that one is very gemmy and clear.

Does anyone else think quite a few of his stones photograph as if they are windowed? I am certain they are not, but my knee jerk reaction to those photos is not good.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1325756973|3095575 said:

I took a conveniently timed toilet break at work to check it out when it was all listed - wanted to see the spess. Nothing against BB, but it just wasn't for me. I want the lovely glowy neon look and that one is very gemmy and clear.

Does anyone else think quite a few of his stones photograph as if they are windowed? I am certain they are not, but my knee jerk reaction to those photos is not good.

To quote Barry himself: "I don't do windows."! So no, I can't say I've ever thought his gem photos look windowed, but I don't think the photos always show the stones he cuts at their best. With only a couple of exceptions, I've always found that his gemstones look even better in person than they do in the photos. There wasn't anything in this particular drop that I wanted, but Barry is one of the few cutters I buy from confidently, knowing there won't be any carefully disguised windows or previously undisclosed and strategically placed inclusions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also pretty much given up on drops from most lapidaries. I'm just not quick enough even though having a smartphone does help for those who sends out emails that the drop just started. Can't wait to see everyone's happy purchases.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
I got the Chrysoberyl. I tried for the Blue Spinel, but apparently was behind three other people. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meezermom|1325776605|3095667 said:
I got the Chrysoberyl. I tried for the Blue Spinel, but apparently was behind three other people. :)

To get a blue spinel off of one of Barry's drops requires superhuman abilities and lots of luck.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I was home from work sick otherwise it never would have happened. I normally never try for drops either because I get home after the initial frenzy. I figure there's a better chance now that the drops will be bigger and only once monthly. I may have it set in argentium by Daniel M. If I do, I'll come back with pics. You know, the chrysoberyl looks good next to the black of the jade. It's a certain golden color that reminds me of dry summer pasture in the mountains here. Anyone do a yellow and black ring before?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew as soon as there was a delay mid-payment (product cart system overload?) that spinel was gone. Please post lots of pics when you get it! The red-orange tourmaline is gorgeous too! (and the square cushion tourm, and chryso, and...)

And yes, TristanC, addicts for sure! :cheeky:

I have several of Barry's stones, and also find they tend to look better in person.

You almost have to practise your clicking before his drops, and not even one glass of wine beforehand - it may slow your reaction time! Don't drink and drop! :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1325780420|3095708 said:
Don't drink and drop!
:D :D

I remembered it about 1 a.m. in bed. Just as well, I'm too broke to buy. Congratulations on the blue spinel, Bluebirrrd, it's beautiful. The red/orange tourm caught my eye too. But I do agree, his drops go so lightning-fast, I gave up obsessing on them a while ago. Never quick enough!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never get anything on any of the drops, like many, I don't bother trying. I usually wait to see what got left over.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1325794341|3095897 said:
I never get anything on any of the drops, like many, I don't bother trying. I usually wait to see what got left over.

-A

Same with Gene's drops, I give up! I'm jealous of all you "lightening fingers."

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even remember until 8:20 NY time and really wasnt sure what time Arizona thought it was. when I got there the amethyst looked nice to me but was already gone. That spinel looks lovely too. Congratulations to those fleet fingered forum members!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I take too long to decide and with my somewhat restricted budget, that means that anything I fancy is long gone by the time I decide to hit buy.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are at least in the right time zone for the drops! In the UK they happen in the middle of the night (if you can work out what on earth MST is :bigsmile: ) then factor in that you have to remember to stay awake AND then be savvy enough to have the fastest clicking finger in the world and and and and ..............

another one here who doesn't bother!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1325796502|3095918 said:
I didn't even remember until 8:20 NY time and really wasnt sure what time Arizona thought it was. when I got there the amethyst looked nice to me but was already gone. That spinel looks lovely too. Congratulations to those fleet fingered forum members!

I checked his drops before, just when they appear, and I'm not sure what is faster, neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, or Barry gem drop addicts. If you're there even a nanosecond after a stone appears, it's gone. If Barry ever dropped a 2+ carat medium light violet spinel, I think the world's internet would crash.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1325756973|3095575 said:

What you're seeing is light bouncing off the table and that highlights the table but they're definitely not windows. You can clearly see the faceting under the table and there's no loss of colour or any openness. If they were windows (especially as Barry photographs everything face on) you'd see a loss of colour.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for explaining, LD. I knew it couldn't be windowing, but I had no clue what I was seeing. It makes sense now. :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1325807289|3096074 said:
Thanks for explaining, LD. I knew it couldn't be windowing, but I had no clue what I was seeing. It makes sense now. :bigsmile:

No worries. Not sure if it helps but I've attached a couple of photos of a window so you can see the difference (I'm sure you already know it but sometimes it's good to see a pictorial reference). ;)) In the first photo, the gemstone on the right is windowed and the one on the left isn't. In the second photo they are both windowed.

Windowing1 for ps.jpg

Windowing2.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the congrats on the spinel. I figured I should just click first and ask questions later if ya know what I mean :naughty: It's true that with Barry you can buy with confidence. I do wish he'd cut more cushions, some pears and some sugar loaves, not that I can buy anything else for a long time now. I gave in and went back to get the watermelon tourm. I have a big soft spot for them and nice ones are expensive and hard to find. For that, I'm thinking something like Janish for a ring setting. It's so gemmy and smooth looking.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I just logged on and saw some lovely boulder opals still available. I bought them to make some dangly earrings. :naughty:

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
What is the link to Barry's Drops? I don't know that I see what ya'all are talking about.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results