shape
carat
color
clarity

Back to the drawing board for my sapphire e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Well, FF told me last night that he has to arrange a payment plan for the e-ring as his business has gone down with the economy, and the money he was expecting from clients will probably not materialize until the Spring/early Summer. We had just found an unheated sapphire and jeweler was holding onto it, but I told him that I didn''t want to hold onto something he MAY or MAY NOT have the money for in a month or so. Jeweler was quite understanding about it (I think). FF told him we would still want to work with him for a custom e-ring. And who knows, maybe that stone will still be available (but maybe for a higher price as I saw the post that NSC raised their prices).

I sound OK now, but I was in tears last night.
39.gif
I thought about putting down my credit card and purchasing the stone myself and having FF pay me back whenever. But, I''ve convinced myself that a better sapphire will come along. We were compromising anyway on the unheated (I would prefer a darker color, but didn''t want to spend more money). And I did have some regrets when we settled on the unheated. I wondered that perhaps I should have compared the unheated sapphire to more heated sapphires. I wondered what it would be like to take a trip to NYC and view stones/settings there. I wondered whether I should see what sapphires Jeff White or other PS vendors would find for me in Tucson Gemshow. Now, I don''t have to wonder. I may still have to put down my credit card if the perfect stone comes along, but after seeing the unheated one, the bar is probably higher now.

Did I do the right thing in convincing FF to give up the stone? What would you have done? Will I have regrets about the unheated sapphire that got away? Probably. But I love my FF more and want him to be in a more comfortable financial situation when he purchases the e-ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did the right thing. If you're that stuck on the color, I would just get one of that color in a smaller size. For me, as far as colored gems are concerned, color is paramount, not size. I much rather have the perfect color of the gemstone I want than a larger version of the gemstone in a less desirable color. What I find with colored gems is this, the ones that are fine, really fine, will look great no matter what the size.
31.gif

Good luck, and I'm sorry you can't get the stone right now.
14.gif
However, just because you have to spend less doesn't mean you won't have a TDF engagement ring.
30.gif

ETA: If they're a fair and reasonable jeweler, they will still give you the same price on that stone in regards to the price they paid (especially in this downward spiraling economy). If they had to pay more for newer stock, that's a different story. I don't think I'd compare the typical fair and reasonable jeweler to NSC - and that's all I'm going to say about NSC (my lips are sealed).

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what tourmaline_lover said - when the right stone comes along you will know*it''s the right one. It sounds corny but it''s true. I thought I totally knew what I wanted for my sapphire (light to medium blue asscher or cushion cut, approx. 1.5 cts), but then I saw this awesome slightly violet blue, round, concave cut 0.96 ct stone from Richard Homer and that was it. You shouldn''t settle on something that isn''t exactly what you''re looking for. And TL''s right about how beautiful the perfect color stone is - I don''t care that my stone is smaller than what I originally wanted because when I''m out in daylight (not that we really have any of that here in MN right now!), my stone just *glows* the most awesome blue color in the world and I LOVE IT! And that''s how you should feel too.

It does suck that you have to wait now though. The waiting part is the hardest.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry brendaman. But I agree with laurel and tourmaline - when the right stone comes along, you will KNOW it! Waiting sucks, but it''s a smart decision, and I think it will work out well for you in the end.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry brendaman.... I think if it is meant to be ...it is meant to be. The stone looked gorgeous....but if it doesn''t sing to you the way that you want it to, why settle? This may be a good thing. Something even more gorgeous may be out there waiting for you to snag it at a time when the FF''s company is doing a little better.
21.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did the right thing. I would wait and get the stone that makes your heart go pitter patter and it wouldn''t matter to me the size, just that I loved it.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker: No, have not yet looked at JW sapphire. Am taking your advise and leaving my li''l sapphire "promise" ring alone.

I am however considering asking Jeff to find a sapphire for my e-ring at the Tucson Gemshow. But then, if Jeff found one, I''d have to purchase it and just tuck it away until FF is financially comfortable. I''m just not sure if he *would be* comfortable with my pre-financing the sapphire.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 12:07:51 AM
Author: brendaman
Diamondseeker: No, have not yet looked at JW sapphire. Am taking your advise and leaving my li''l sapphire ''promise'' ring alone.

I am however considering asking Jeff to find a sapphire for my e-ring at the Tucson Gemshow. But then, if Jeff found one, I''d have to purchase it and just tuck it away until FF is financially comfortable. I''m just not sure if he *would be* comfortable with my pre-financing the sapphire.
Sounds like you may need to discuss with him?
How soon is Tucson?

I agree with the others, you will know when you see it. No point to compromise, esp. for your ering.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Brendaman - I''m so sorry about this unfortunate turn of events, but I also think you and FF did the right thing. I can only imagine how much that 3.7 ct unheated sapphire cost... and it really didn''t sound like you were crazy about it. The right one WILL turn up - keep looking and good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 1:34:32 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 1/15/2009 12:07:51 AM
Author: brendaman
Diamondseeker: No, have not yet looked at JW sapphire. Am taking your advise and leaving my li''l sapphire ''promise'' ring alone.

Sounds like you may need to discuss with him?
How soon is Tucson?

I agree with the others, you will know when you see it. No point to compromise, esp. for your ering.
Tuscon is about 2 weeks away (1st week of February)

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Brendaman,
I understand what you''re feeling. I too had to give up the diamond AND setting that my BF and I had selected last year. He injured his arm and ended up having to have surgery. I cried so much and it''s a difficult situation, because you don''t mean to be thinking about yourself, but something you really wanted seemed to be coming your way and then poof, all of a suddent it''s not. There''s no one to blame, just the situation.

Months later, BF secretly went back and had the place order the same setting I had fallen in love with. We then found a better quality stone then the first. But will you believe, that we ended up recently switching to platinum (I did some research) from WG? I''m extremely happy and that would not have been possible past the refund window. So, I could''ve had a WG ring, but hoping I had platinum and that might not have been possible after the fact.

My situation was meant to take this path. I''m still waiting for the proposal, but I can tell you from what I''ve experienced so far, (as cliche as it sounds) it will work out in the end. You must believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results