shape
carat
color
clarity

atggems reviews and experiences

lonerwolfman

Rough_Rock
Hi All.
Has anyone dealt with ATGgems recently? I'm about to make a large stone purchase from the and I'd like to know some feedback on experiences. I'm an international buyer so I'm not able to view the stone in person.

Has anyone made any significant (10k+) purchases from them recently? How was the payment process? any issues? The owner is requesting cash deposit into an account and does not wish to use paypal (i assume to avoid fees)

Thanks!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I made a relatively large purchase ($8,000) from them about two years ago. The transaction itself went well. I know that many people here will not share this opinion, but the customer service from ATGG was somewhat lacking in the couple of times that I dealt with them. I felt as though additional purchases were being pushed on me. I would also like to say that most of the stones sold by ATGG are higher end stones and I feel that they could make more of an effort to take more accurate pictures of stones and disclose treatments. I had a very hard time getting them to answer direct questions about treatments of stones that did not already have a description on the website stating that it had a certificate that stated its treatment.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would share gingercurl's assessment. I bought some items from them a while ago and their communication was best described as minimalist and relaxed. :wink2:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1422305843|3822335 said:
I would share gingercurl's assessment. I bought some items from them a while ago and their communication was best described as minimalist and relaxed. :wink2:

You make that sound like a good, stress free thing :bigsmile:

llamacat

Rough_Rock
Hi

Newbie here, thought I'll post as I'm contemplating buying from them and I'm also an international buyer. I've exchanged several emails with them and I'd say the replies have been variable, some have been thorough responses to my questions, others were abrupt and a little offputting. At this stage I haven't quite decided if I will go ahead with a purchase or not.

lonerwolfman

Rough_Rock
Thanks All.

What I'm concerned about is if its a dodgy site (it appears from the responses its not). I'm quite certain of what I want and will have it certified prior to purchasing. From these responses it Looks like they're a legitimate business with some odd customer services habits.

Beyond that is there anything else I should be worried about?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1422350369|3822592 said:
minousbijoux|1422305843|3822335 said:

You make that sound like a good, stress free thing :bigsmile:

Should've put quotes around the words...

But OP: I think you are dead on. I would make sure you get lab reports as sometimes info about treatment seems spotty. But other than that, issues seem to be in communication and customer service rather than quality. If you can stomach the prices, then you are getting quality.

lonerwolfman

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely LOVE your stone! :love: I have ordered and returned a stone from them because it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I would buy from them again.

ATGGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would hope that you found you got all your questions answered and some times I can provide far more info than was requested. Having a sciences background, communication may seem short at times, but emails themselves can sometimes be misconstrued at times and not what was intended. (Initially was using all caps years ago in emails because it was easy, but later on told not to do that as it conveys yelling, etc. That's a bid no-no...) No selling pressure at all here - will answer questions, maybe provide more information about a piece because I am personally responsible for the purchase or having it cut from the rough - so usually know everything about the gem. However, most will agree I am not a salesman, but more technical, and I really don't try to sell. The gemstone should sell itself, especially when seen in person. I am just the conduit for information about the gemstone in general, that particular gemstone and can provide all that info if desired, but I never push for the sale or future sales. My joy is in the finding of the gemstone or the rough, and then having the rough cut to release the hidden gem inside. If a cut gem, it must meet my criteria for size, color, cutting, clarity and of course price. Otherwise, it doesn't make it into the All That Glitters inventory. It if frequently difficult to sell a gemstone, as I know them all individually and as someone else in the business once said, it is like selling your children.

ATGGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
You are correct in that all photos are not good photos and we do have inventory that we cannot put on line because the mirror like polish, the internal brilliance and life when it is tipped slightly, but if a gemstone looks decent in a photo, when seen in person it is even better.

We do disclose treatments and if asked will pass the info on that we know, but many gems are just known to be heated for instance, like Aqua, Sapphire, Ruby, some Tourmaline, Zircon and others. We might not mention that as it is more of the norm, but will indicate what is suspected on the receipt. If we do not know if a gemstone was heated, we assume and state that it is most likely heated as is the norm for that species. We disclose all that we know. Depending on the gem, especially Sapphire, if we are told it is unheated, we may cert it to insure that is the case, but there are many cases where it is said to be heated yet we find out that it was actually unheated. (A sale to a person in Australia was like that. Before the Sapphire was shipped out, he had wanted a cert from GIA which he paid for upfront, and the Sapphire was expected to be heated. I indicated that the price would be the same regardless of the outcome, but pricing was based on a heated Sapphire...it turned out to be not heated, so that was a surprise and a plus for the customer). We only cert a few gemstones in inventory and that is done at times to verify the gem species or determine whether it is heated or unheated. It is also done for important gemstones such as Alexandrite, as we feel the customer would most likely free more comfortable with a cert. We do have our 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee (for any reason!) as well as our Life Time Guarantee, which is not something that I believe any other company does, so we are confident in our gemstones and sales.....

Allen Brown
Gemologist
All That Glitters - atggems

Hi,

I made a relatively large purchase ($8,000) from them about two years ago. The transaction itself went well. I know that many people here will not share this opinion, but the customer service from ATGG was somewhat lacking in the couple of times that I dealt with them. I felt as though additional purchases were being pushed on me. I would also like to say that most of the stones sold by ATGG are higher end stones and I feel that they could make more of an effort to take more accurate pictures of stones and disclose treatments. I had a very hard time getting them to answer direct questions about treatments of stones that did not already have a description on the website stating that it had a certificate that stated its treatment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results