shape
carat
color
clarity

Are your favourite gemstones precision cut? (incl poll)

what do you find the single most the important factor in gemstones

• Precision cutting

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • The color

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • It depends: sometimes cut, sometimes color

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never compromise: both cut AND color

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at your top 3 gemstones: what is it that appeals to you most? Is it the color? Or the cut? Does it depend on the gemstone (ie do you sacrifice cut if the gemstone is very rare). Or... do you never ever compromise and only choose a perfect cut AND color.
Share your story and the photo's of your gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is first and foremost to me. I rather wear a gem with a huge gaping window and terrible cutting if the color is amazing, then a gem with good to poor color with top notch precision cutting.

For example, I get more compliments on one paraiba I wear with the worst cutting ever, because the color is incredible, even from my jeweler. No one notices how bad it's cut because it looks like it's plugged in. However, if I am going for a precision cut, it better be cut to maximum brilliance and luster. I see lots of precision cut stones that really don't live up to the standards of what precision cutting usually entails. I see some with tables cut along the axis for the best size, but not necessarily the best color, and poor polish, and/or facet meets. If you're paying a premium for precision cutting, make sure the lapidary gets it right, no matter how many accolades he/she may have. It's really something to see a gem with great color AND great precision faceting.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is top priority for me - but then I do require a decent cut even if not precision-cut; I just can't tolerate windows or visible asymmetry.

My favorite gemstone is my heat-only Madagascar ruby oval, which is not precision cut but is nicely shaped; and my 2nd favorite gem(s) are my BB precision-cut 7.5mm round Yellow Beryl and my 8mm round non-precision-cut Tanzanite. I have several gemstones vying for 3rd place, and they all are precision-cut.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is no.1 but I will add I really hate poorly and average cut stones too, the older I get the less tolerant I am to sloppy looking cutting.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing TL! By the way: we can never see too many photo's of your Paraiba.

First and foremost: I need to love the color of a gemstone and it needs to match my skintone.
The choices I make depend on rarity as well: for a Paraiba, emerald or ruby I would make different choices compared to a topaz or zircon.
My favorite stone by far is my non precision cut sapphire: the color is mesmerizing and I was immediately fascinated when I saw it for the first time. The cutting is still decent though. My green tourmaline is another favorite and here I was super lucky to get both a fabulous color as well as cut. My faceted Paraiba is included and has a window. But as the color is so special and the stone so rare I do love it.

_31199.jpg

_31200.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marymm: please share a photo of your ruby.

Arkieb: ha! I know you will not settle for a sloppy cut.

Color in combination with a decent cut rule over other options? Looking forward to read other views as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about this lately as I look at loose stones. I picked color. Sometimes the color I prefer isn't the fashionable or most sought after color but it's my color preference that rules.

Of course it's hard to REALLY see colors correctly over our computer monitors. So I've bought gemstones in person and from trusted vendors. I love both the color of this Spessartite Garnet and the cutting.

garnet_outside_on_an_overcast_day.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Color comes first, but my top loved ones all happen to have precision cutting or at least very decent cutting.
I can't pick top 3...I will have to minimize to a handful. :tongue:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. I wish I knew but believe it or not, I don't know any more. In the first few years, I bought for color alone and could overlook wonky cutting and windows. Interestingly, if pressed, I would have to say that of all my stones, these stones are closest to my perfect, mind's eye color and vibrancy. Are they my favorites? I love them, but now the windows and cutting really bother me. So I'd have to say that my perfect stone now would have to have THE perfect color and be cut well - not perfectly mind you, but well enough so my eye isn't focused away from the color.

This thread is useless without photos :lol: so here are two whose color I adore, but don't cut it (get it?) when it comes to the cutting. A long time ago, I bought this tsavorite. Although the photo makes it look like it has a yellow modifier (perhaps the light at that time of day), it does not. It is a pure, vibrant green, perhaps slightly on the blue side. But that fact is diminished because of its window - not quite as big as this photo indicates it to be, but you get the point.

Sadly, the same thing goes for this Paraiba/copper bearing tourmaline. Here it is taken in a few different lighting situations trying to hide the window, lol!

tsavorite_old_1_3-07-14_preview.jpg

cuprian_too_6_1-17-14_0.jpg

3-22-13_cuprian_tourm_2_preview.jpg

1-19-13_cuprian_7_preview.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to attach photos :)

1. Jeff Davis canary yellow tourmaline. Color is needless to say, and the cutting is very good too

2. Andrew Gulij mahenge spinel. Both color and cutting are excellent. It's a neon pink

4. AJS burma red spinel. It's 2cts, it's red and it's burma. Decent cut.

3. 4ct rubelite tourmaline, don't know who cut it but it's excellent to me.

_31202.jpg

025622b24f17e1oc1no7en.jpg

101815l00ejgom665i6lzp.jpg

_31201.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
5. Diamond cut unheated sapphire. Crazy sparkle and ideal size/clarity. And it's blue.

6. Teal-blue tourmaline in a round cut. No window with good color...It has both.

7. Gene tsavorite. I just bought it, haven't received it yet...Knowing Gene's photography I'm pretty sure it will become one of my top loved :bigsmile:

062548afuvwha9sf4fuu5m.jpg

125556psss8qo75abaqqqq.jpg

_31204.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter|1434554232|3890292 said:
I've been thinking about this lately as I look at loose stones. I picked color. Sometimes the color I prefer isn't the fashionable or most sought after color but it's my color preference that rules.

Of course it's hard to REALLY see colors correctly over our computer monitors. So I've bought gemstones in person and from trusted vendors. I love both the color of this Spessartite Garnet and the cutting.

garnet_outside_on_an_overcast_day.jpg

Oooh, such a pretty spess - and that's high praise from someone who cannot find their HG fanta spess!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks minousbijoux! you have such a FAB collection so I appreciate your praise. :)

OTL stunning stones but #5 is my favorite, love the blues.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best bargain so far is this light blue aquamarine from JD, just love the shape, (non-precision) cut and colour, and the fact that I got it at rock-bottom price makes it even better:

jdaquaps8147_0.jpg
jd_jan15_aqua_01.jpg
jd_jan15_aqua_02.jpg
jdaquaring_04.jpg

DK :bigsmile:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1434551673|3890276 said:
Marymm: please share a photo of your ruby.

Arkieb: ha! I know you will not settle for a sloppy cut.

Color in combination with a decent cut rule over other options? Looking forward to read other views as well.

Here's a couple quick snaps of my Ruby, Yellow Beryl, and Tanzanite rings... the Ruby never shows well in pics for some reason but per AGL it is a heat-only Madagascar Ruby with "Red" color - it is a pinkish-Red to my eye but I would never confuse it for a pink sapphire.

dsc03122_-_ps.jpg

dsc03128_-_ps.jpg

I forgot to mention above, that I do consider these my top "favorite" gemstone rings as also they have stood the test of time and I continue to wear them and to be infatuated with their color and with the rings themselves.

[I did just pick up a Mahenge Spinel checkerboard pear (not precision-cut) from fellow PSer katharath, and that stone is a thing of beauty... I do think once set it will bounce right up towards the top in terms of my favorite rings, if it turns out as I envision.]

I love everyone's Show and Tell pieces - colored gemstones are just so amazing!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I go for color, and don't care much for inclusions, even if they are so bad that they are not settable. It then just becomes a stone I can enjoy in my own collection that does not have to be destined for jewelry for my wife! Here are 2 pictures that I had available on my computer of a mahenge spinel (2.7 ct) and a couple cuprian tourmalines in low incandescent light (pears about 1.5-1.8cts I think, and a 7x5mm oval).

mahenge_6.jpg

cuprian_tourmalines.jpg

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You guys really do have some magnificent gems in your collections!

My personal preference is a stone with lots of scintillation so I really like stones that are well cut. However If the color is not attractive, not matter how well the stone is cut it will still be abit blah. Good cut on top color just takes that stone to the next level in my opinion. Therefore I like a mixture of cut and color!
Jamie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1434570383|3890457 said:
I go for color, and don't care much for inclusions, even if they are so bad that they are not settable. It then just becomes a stone I can enjoy in my own collection that does not have to be destined for jewelry for my wife! Here are 2 pictures that I had available on my computer of a mahenge spinel (2.7 ct) and a couple cuprian tourmalines in low incandescent light (pears about 1.5-1.8cts I think, and a 7x5mm oval).

Can we trade please? :praise:

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Its hard to decide. While color is ultimately what draws me to a gem, its the cut that really seals the deal. I can put up with small cutting issues but things like big windows are just too distracting for me to really enjoy a stone. A really amazing cut will make up for lack-luster color to a degree for me. That said, not all of my collection is precision cut (most isn't) but that's mainly because of the extra cost involved and the fact my collection is still in its infancy. :)

If I had to choose my two favorite gems I would have to say my burmese spinel and tanzanite. And that decision is based on color mostly. Both are native cut, but they are pretty well done. The spinel's cut sparkles like mad which just really reinforces why its my favorite. Its hard to get accurate photos of both of them but here is what I have:

20150508_192157_richtone_hdr_0.jpg

20150508_192512_richtone_hdr_0.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty much on the same page as tourma-guy. Color is always what draws me to a gem but I find that I am very easily annoyed by cut glaring cut issues. My favorite four gems (I tried to pick three but couldn’t!) are all excellent color and precision cut. They also all happen to be very clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In an ideal world, I'd like both top colour and top precision cutting but it's not happening anytime soon for me. Out of my top 3 stones, colour comes first with only one of them being precision cut. The other two are extremely well cut although not precision cut. Given the reality of the gem world (and my limited budget), colour always comes first but I can handle some trade-offs such as not so nice cutting and clarity for rare gems. Even so, it cannot be horribly cut nor too included. If it is a more common and affordable gem, then it also must have very good cutting in addition to having great colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1434568626|3890436 said:
My best bargain so far is this light blue aquamarine from JD, just love the shape, (non-precision) cut and colour, and the fact that I got it at rock-bottom price makes it even better:DK :bigsmile:

It looks precision cut to me, based on the symmetry, quality of polish and meet points.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1434546456|3890241 said:
The color is first and foremost to me. I rather wear a gem with a huge gaping window and terrible cutting if the color is amazing, then a gem with good to poor color with top notch precision cutting.

For example, I get more compliments on one paraiba I wear with the worst cutting ever, because the color is incredible, even from my jeweler. No one notices how bad it's cut because it looks like it's plugged in. However, if I am going for a precision cut, it better be cut to maximum brilliance and luster. I see lots of precision cut stones that really don't live up to the standards of what precision cutting usually entails. I see some with tables cut along the axis for the best size, but not necessarily the best color, and poor polish, and/or facet meets. If you're paying a premium for precision cutting, make sure the lapidary gets it right, no matter how many accolades he/she may have. It's really something to see a gem with great color AND great precision faceting.

Absolutely +1

If I only bought precision cut gems I'd have missed out on some of the best stunning gemstones I own!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My top three are not precision cut (good cut) and I bought them for color and the durability of the gemstone. Two of my least favorite stones are precision cut.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1434631310|3890788 said:
dk168|1434568626|3890436 said:
My best bargain so far is this light blue aquamarine from JD, just love the shape, (non-precision) cut and colour, and the fact that I got it at rock-bottom price makes it even better:DK :bigsmile:

It looks precision cut to me, based on the symmetry, quality of polish and meet points.

I agree and have found that almost all of Jeff Davies stones are well cut if not precision cut.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1434638040|3890859 said:
TL|1434546456|3890241 said:

Absolutely +1

If I only bought precision cut gems I'd have missed out on some of the best stunning gemstones I own!

But LD, does this mean you would still consider stones with considerable windows?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first rule is that I have to love it. Doesn't mean top color, just means I have to love it. Cut can make a so so stone look really good and sometimes I go with cut. With the kind of stones I like, I can't afford to kinda sorta like it.

*I'm not on a computer that my favorite images are on unfortunately, but y'all have seen most of them anyway.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I buy stones based on a variety of factors. If the color is amazing, I'll forgive cut issues. If the color is ok, I'd prefer better cutting. So long as a stone has an interesting quality (color, cut, clarity, size or an interesting combination of those) I'll buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results