shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua Marine?

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have had this ring in my jewelery box for the past 5 years. I remember the women in the jewelery store telling me it was a non treated aqua marine. I was thinking about putting it up for sale and noticed it had some windowing. Is this typical of a colored stone? How do I tell if it is treated, or lab created? It is set in 18K gold. I also have no idea on a starting point of what I could sell it for. I have attached some pics, hopefully you guys can help me out!

Aquamarine 011.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also be blue topaz or synthetic spinel (many synthetic spinels are that color). However, even if it is aqua, pale aqua is not worth very much per carat. Last time I checked, perhaps $10/ct wholesale. The bulk of the value of that ring is in the mounting. I say enjoy it for what it is, and if you want to definitively know what kind of stone it is, take it to a good gemologist. It has a window, but being a low RI stone, it will have a window if you tilt it and most directions of viewing. Aquas require lots of faceting to look sparkley. I'm not one for large chunky facets on aqua for that reason.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As TL says it could be several things, but probably not worth paying to find out as even untreated aquamarine in that colour won't fetch much and the window will bring the price down considerably.

I'd guess you might make $50 or so on eBay. Personally I'd take the stone out and put something nicer in instead, as the value is in the setting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with TL and Pandora. Enjoy your pretty ring for what it is and try to resist putting it up for sale. Second hand jewellery doesn't usually sell for much (if it's an Aquamarine) and you probably wouldn't be able to buy the same thing again.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1302458566|2892654 said:
I'd guess you might make $50 or so on eBay. Personally I'd take the stone out and put something nicer in instead, as the value is in the setting.

this.

MoZo

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses and advice everyone. I have decided to give it to my mother - who happens to love it and it is now happily on her finger!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results