shape
carat
color
clarity

Aqua Marine help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jls944

Rough_Rock
My fiance wants to get an aquamarine ring that is a cushion cut with diamonds outlining the stone. How much do aquamarine stones cost? I was thinking around a 1 ct size. Also, what should I look for in the stone and what online sites have these kinds of rings? Thanks in advance.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is aquamarine to fit every budget. find out what she likes: blue, blue/green, green/blue and go from there. richard wise [www.rwwise.com] has some gorgeous aqua for sale for a price that matches. many aren't comfortable paying that much for a color stone but wouldn't blink at the price for a diamond. each to their own!

eta: do a search for aquamarine and i think you'll get lots of ideas from other pricescopers.

good luck, movie zombie

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Matatora has a beautiful aqua-and-diamond from tiffany''s, perhaps she''d tell you more about it?

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my aquamarine and purple sapphire ring by Elizabeth Locke. Though the Aqua is significantly larger than 1 carat. It''s one of my favorite rings.

ElizLock.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I love aquamarine. Be sure to look in the eye candy folder.. there are a few aquamarines in there... SOmeone had one that was flanked my diamonds and was in a "flower?" shape. It was beautiful!!

1 Thing I would kee p in mind... 1carat in a colored gemstone does NOT equal the same as a 1Carat in a diamond. For example... gemstones have usually more weight than a diamond because of their cut. Concave cuts have less weight (but more spread) for exmaple.. I have a 2.35Carat spess (concave cut) so the weight is down.. but it is about 8mm... I believe this is almost a 3 carat 8mm in Diamond. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Some gemstones carry weight on their belly.. kinda like the 'natural cut'. In short, I am saying that most times (but definetly NOT all the time) gemstone have higher carats and less spread as a diamond. For example, I had a 1.3 carat round cut ruby, it was equivalant to a 3/4 diamond spread. So if you are looking for a 1 carat round size in a gemstone, pay attention to your mm... i.e. 6.5 as opposed to 1 carat.

Hope that made sense.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
For exmaple here is a .93 carat round, but it has a spread of 6.8-6.9... higher than a 1Carat round diamond

aquamarine.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
aquas of higher quality do not have a ''gray'' overcast to the color.

also, i believe the deeper the stone, the deeper the color....but may be wrong on this.

peace, movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi imagatwork, a 1ct aqua would be about one third larger than a one ct diamond because of the different density. Aqua is 2.63 times heavier than an equal volume of water were diamond is about 3.50 times heavier. Sapphier is about 4 times and spessartite is about 4.15 times as heavy as an equal volume of water. hope this helps. This assumes the cutting is the same. Regards Doug

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2005 6:14:12 PM
Author: movie zombie

aquas of higher quality do not have a 'gray' overcast to the color.

also, i believe the deeper the stone, the deeper the color....but may be wrong on this.
Second that

1 ct is relatively small for aquamarine and few and far between will show good color at this size. If you are looking for a significant size (as is 1ct for colorless diamond engagement rings) that is quite a bit more for aquamarine because larger stones are frequent and it takes more to show good color. Besides, prices do not run as for diamonds, with small sizes.

If you would want a dainty ring overall, THIS may help - it is rare to see good color in aquamarine this small. This is lucky! Btw, I know, Ebay is evil... but not this part.
2.gif
There are a few more fantastic aquas on their list.

For what that matters, THIS is not even Ebay - just another of the lucky small & colored kind:

AQ-3511C.jpg

And if you ever wondered how deel aquamarine color can get, this is about it. 'Blue beryl' is something near legendary. Usually the name is associated with some unfortunate color treated stones in which the blue is not stable. This is not one... it happens once in a blue moon:

1128sm.jpg

Hope this helps a bit
1.gif

If you wondered why these are not as expensive per carat as larger aqua of good color, I guess the answer is... small is not popular for aquamarine. The preffered sizes run towards 10cts - by tradition etc.

Of course, I am no expert. If you wanted better 'theory', Ricahrd Wise's book (see secretsofthegemtrade.com) is good refference. It was for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results