shape
carat
color
clarity

Apatite: help me choose

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I've got two apatites from AJS on hold and I need help deciding which one to get. Here's the pict:

Apatite #1: heated 5.09ct octagon radiant that measures 11.30 x 9.10 x 6.50 mm for $249 ($49/ct)

Apatite #2: heated 8.34ct Portuguese pear that measures 17.70 x 11.30 x 7.60 mm for $473 ($57/ct)

Rung wrote, "I'm looking at these two stones for you, both are really beautiful gems full of life and no windows..
The 8.34ct pear shape has a bit better clarity and its color is a bit deeper than the 5.09ct. Personally if you can afford the 8.34 pear shape I buy it, but if your more comfortable spending less the 5.09 is a lovely stone.I'm quite sure either of these two stones would make you happy
."

Nevertheless, I'm still kind of torn. Here are the issues I'm thinking about:

-I was hoping to spend more like $250 than $473, which is a factor, but not a determining one.

-I'm worried stone #2 will be more expensive to set because it's nowhere near calibrated size, whereas stone #1 is

-Will stone #2 look too ostentatious as it really is a BIG stone (this will be for a pendant)? Or will it just give really good presence? (Am I even asking this in the right forum? ;-) )

-Rung said the photos look as close to possible as they are in real life (no other picts will be forthcoming), but sometimes I'm still always surprised at how much darker a stone is in real life than in a picture. If the pictures are true-to-life then I prefer color of stone #2, but if it will still end up darkening a bit then I'm worried stone #2 will start looking kind of dark if it's not in its idea lighting conditions. So feedback here is also appreciated.

If any of my presumptions are incorrect, please correct me. Looking forward to your opinions!

Apatite comparison.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No matter which one you decide to purchase, the setting will still be somewhat expensive to set to due the size (more metal needed). For a pendant, you cannot go wrong with either one. At this point, there’s not much else I can advise on because AJS as already advised you accordingly. Another factor to be taken into consideration is the cutting; the pear might have a leg up over the radiant in terms of flash and sparkle due to its busier Portuguese cutting. As we don’t know the lighting condition both stones are taken in, I have no idea how much both apatites will darken up, if any.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Both are really nice. The pear is a super shape for a pendant & I agree w/Chrono, it might have more sparkle & brilliance due to the cut. However, if the colors are accurate, I love #1.

--- Laurie

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak said:
Both are really nice. The pear is a super shape for a pendant & I agree w/Chrono, it might have more sparkle & brilliance due to the cut. However, if the colors are accurate, I love #1.

--- Laurie

I agree. The radiant caught my eye as soon as the picture loaded.

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
The refractive index on Apatite is 1.63-1.638. However it doesn't have much dispersion. So what your going for here is light return and color output. The pendant will tend to concentrate and intensify the color at the tip with a lot of small sparkles. The center will look sort of like a round brilliant.

The cushion will give more even light return and has good facets up top that will give you more flash. The Pendant will probably not be as bright. It really depends upon the look you want. If you have a smaller body the cushion might be a better match than the pendant. If your a big girl, the pendant will fit right in. Remember, in a pendant the light is coming in from the top at an angle, and will be reflected outward.

If the photographer could set them up that way (vertically or w/ a 20 degree tilt ) and shoot it straight on with the lighting from the top, it might give you a better idea.

Hope this helps.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm 5'1", so the comments about my size in relation to the stone's size does have some bearing. I played around with some pendants that I have at home, and the measurements. I think that if I got the larger one that it would really be too imposing on me. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

ETA: I'm getting the smaller of the two stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see how the stone is IRL compared to the pictures.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
AustenNut said:
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm 5'1", so the comments about my size in relation to the stone's size does have some bearing. I played around with some pendants that I have at home, and the measurements. I think that if I got the larger one that it would really be too imposing on me. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

ETA: I'm getting the smaller of the two stones.

Seems like a good choice :appl: The emerald is certainly much more attractive (at least from my monitor) It reminds me of a Paraiba Tourmaline

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the apatite came in yesterday. The color is different than what was pictured. I'd say the picture looks more aqua, whereas the the stone looks more teal (has more green in it than blue). Which makes me glad that I chose the stone that I did, because I think the larger pear would have been too dark for me. And I actually have more teal colored clothing than I do aqua, so this will work well for my wardrobe. But it does not have the neon appearance that the AJS photo produced on my monitor. It's a pretty teal color with good physical size at a good price, which is why I am probably keeping it, but it does not have a glowy appearance unfortunately.

I took a few pictures of the stone, but I can't get the color to come out right. The stone is definitely photographing with more blue than it really has, which probably accounts for some of the issues with the AJS photo. And though the camera is picking up some of the inclusions, it is eye clean.

Without further ado, here are my terrible photos.

Zincite & Apatite 004.jpg

Zincite & Apatite 010.jpg

Zincite & Apatite 011.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
AustenNut said:
Well, the apatite came in yesterday. The color is different than what was pictured. I'd say the picture looks more aqua, whereas the the stone looks more teal (has more green in it than blue). Which makes me glad that I chose the stone that I did, because I think the larger pear would have been too dark for me. And I actually have more teal colored clothing than I do aqua, so this will work well for my wardrobe. But it does not have the neon appearance that the AJS photo produced on my monitor. It's a pretty teal color with good physical size at a good price, which is why I am probably keeping it, but it does not have a glowy appearance unfortunately.

I took a few pictures of the stone, but I can't get the color to come out right. The stone is definitely photographing with more blue than it really has, which probably accounts for some of the issues with the AJS photo. And though the camera is picking up some of the inclusions, it is eye clean.

Without further ado, here are my terrible photos.

HI AustenNut! I think it looks pretty! Just like the cool, refreshing color of a Paraiba :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback which is very important to me right now since I’m thinking of getting something from AJS and it’s not an inexpensive item. With AJS being busy with the Bangkok show, they are unable to answer my questions and I am apprehensive about their new policy of no additional pictures.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice Austen. I've got a number of gems in a similar size to the pear and in that colour they're very much a statement piece - to the extent that I have to be dressed up and going to an event (rather than grocery shopping) to wear them! Consquently, they're not every day pieces! Also, if you look at the pear again, both ends are darker (typical for a pear cut) and if it is darker than the AJS photo then it may really have been too dark.

The one you've got is lovely. What are your plans for setting it? Presumably you know to make sure that the benchman understands Apatite as it's not the most durable gemstone in the world and can be problematic for the setter.

In terms of AJS and photos, I've found their photos on the whole to be reasonably accurate but they do tend to look slightly more vibrant than in real life. So if buying from them I always assume the gem to be a slightly muted/darker version than the photo depicts.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AustenNut, that's a great choice for a pendant. Especially the last photo you took shows how noticeable & elegant it will look. Dying to know what you're planning for it.

-- Laurie

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chictomato, Chrono, LovingDiamonds, and JewelFreak for the compliments. I've decided that I'm definitely keeping the stone. In daylight it's that teal color I described (but couldn't get my camera to take), but in the evening it's more of a green. And since I had also started looking for a green stone for a pendant, this one should be able to do double duty depending on the time of day that I'll be needing it.

As far as the setting goes, I'm thinking this one may get some kind of a diamond accent. Most of my other pendants are set in plain gold settings, but I don't know if I want a simple halo, or maybe some diamond melee at the top. I've gotten some pricing info from LOGR and I'm going to bring it to my jeweler to discuss some options there. They've set some apatite for me before, so they're definitely comfortable working with it (and they just set my zincite pendant so I feel very confident in their skills). But I'm still not exactly sure what I should do with this design wise. Any ideas?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results