shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone seen any nice purple sapphires out there for sale?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSer's!
I have been on the hunt for a purple sapphire for a 3 stone ring for a bit now, and I may be closing in on a purchase so I'm feeling a bit panicky that there may be something out there I've missed... :)

My wish list is short and fairly non-specific (please forgive me if I've forgotten anything!):
1. Color - good color is #1 for me - looking for a rich purple, something like a nice amethyst or even tanzanite-ish in color, just nothing too light. I've seen some with blue and magenta modifiers and I like almost all of them!
2. Size - 2 to 3ish carats - going to be the center stone in 3 stone ring with my e-ring diamond as one of two side stones (diamond I have is approx 7mm x 5mm oval)
3. Shape - I think I prefer round, but would consider any shape.
4. Treatments - ok with heat only, would prefer unheated but probably out of my price range.
5. Budget - under 5K

My jeweler has a beautifully cut and colored oval sapphire that's about 1.2 carats and about the same size as my diamond that she recommends I put in a halo so it can hold it's own as the center stone - the stone is beautiful and I'm strongly considering it, I'm just worried I'll be disappointed later with the size even with a halo. Sorry I forgot to get pics!!

I also have this one on the way to put in the running:

Anyone know of any others out there I could consider?
Thanks so much everyone! :)

sapphire_21.jpg

_19030.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Anyone seen any nice purple sapphires out there for sale

Hey,

I will meet a gem dealer located in Munich at the end of the week ( get four little Taaffeite) - he is from Sri Lanka and such a stone is no problem for him. There is a big cutting factory in Sri Lanka working with him. I could ask him if you want.

He will fly to Tucson and other gem shows in USA. He has no ( need no ?) homepage.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Marlow said:
I will meet a gem dealer located in Munich at the end of the week ( get four little Taaffeite) - he is from Sri Lanka and such a stone is no problem for him. There is a big cutting factory in Sri Lanka working with him. I could ask him if you want.

Sure thing Marlow! Thanks! :)

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Vidalia said:
This one may be too small for you (it's 6.45 mm, 1.4 cts), but the color is electric-plummy yummy!
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphiregraperd1_40ct/

And here's a darker, but lovely 1.91 cts (bicolor?) oval sapphire.
http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/purple-sapphire-1-91-cts

Good luck with your piece. It sounds like it will be so pretty!
Vidalia said:
Also, if you're open to a purple spinel, instead of a sapphire, Africa Gems has some pretty options including this oval:
http://www.africagems.com/oval-purple-spinel-g2k-3922.html

Thanks so much Vidalia! Those are all terrific (someone already grabbed the gemrite one!).

I actually was going back and forth between sapphire and spinel. When I saw them in person, there was something that drew me to the sapphires, they seemed "warmer" I guess? But that being said I'm still open to them. Whenever I can save up some $$ after this project I'd love to get a bright red mahenge spinel. By the time I can afford one, they'll probably be even more expensive!! ;-)

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock

I hear you about the sapphires seeming warmer. In my (very limited!) hands-on experience, the sapphires generally seem to have a warmer glow and the spinels seem to have a cooler (silvery?) sparkle. They're both very pretty qualities, but different.

Continued good luck with the hunt, and if I see anything else fitting your parameters, I'll post it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Flawless Facets used to have a beautiful purple cushion sapphire, but I don't see it anymore online.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

pregcurious said:
Flawless Facets used to have a beautiful purple cushion sapphire, but I don't see it anymore online.

I know exactly the one you're talking about!! I saw it in and old post and I was just drooling over it, but, alas, some lucky person must have gotten it. :)

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

LoversKites said:
Scroll down until you see a 2.22ct emerald cut.
http://atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm
May be on the dark side, I'm not sure, but the saturation and colour really reminds me of amethyst.
treasurehunter said:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152516372184357&set=pcb.10152516372514357&type=1&theater

Oh my goodness you guys, these are putting me into overload!! I want them all! And, if I go by my jeweler's advice of a halo, they would all work and be gorgeous I'm sure. I can't help but think that my unconditional love of all purples is going to make this more difficult than if I was picky and wanted just one certain tone/hue/etc. :tongue: I also have a lot of trouble judging whether a stone is too dark, especially in pictures so that doesn't help trying to choose! Gems just turn me into a crazy person! :D

Anyone have any advice on the ones in this post knowing the sapphire will be flanked by two (approx) 7 x 5mm oval side diamonds?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

sparkleismyfavcolor|1402418908|3690135 said:
LoversKites said:
Scroll down until you see a 2.22ct emerald cut.
http://atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm
May be on the dark side, I'm not sure, but the saturation and colour really reminds me of amethyst.
treasurehunter said:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152516372184357&set=pcb.10152516372514357&type=1&theater

Oh my goodness you guys, these are putting me into overload!! I want them all! And, if I go by my jeweler's advice of a halo, they would all work and be gorgeous I'm sure. I can't help but think that my unconditional love of all purples is going to make this more difficult than if I was picky and wanted just one certain tone/hue/etc. :tongue: I also have a lot of trouble judging whether a stone is too dark, especially in pictures so that doesn't help trying to choose! Gems just turn me into a crazy person! :D

Anyone have any advice on the ones in this post knowing the sapphire will be flanked by two (approx) 7 x 5mm oval side diamonds?

Well the stone I linked, according to the GIA report, measures approx 7.2 x 5.8, meaning the side diamonds will be just a bit smaller than the sapphire. It will look like a 3 stone ring. Corundum is dense and faces up smaller for carat weight. It's often cut deeper than diamonds, too.

I love the colour of the Jeff Davies sapphire but I think from the bright middle area that it has a large bowtie.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock

Agnesg|1402423578|3690199 said:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/1-dot-51-carat-unheated-purple-sapphire
Chanced upon this yummy grape jelly while viewing the hot pad thread!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

digdeep|1402427060|3690232 said:
Here's another with a brief......... and looks good to me!!

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jul13PSapphirePage.htm

I too have been keen on a purple sapphire of late (actually, always have wanted a violet-purple, but only took the search serious recently).

This one's colour is awesome!

I'm sure someone has mentioned but Gene of Precision just had a fantastic one scooped up earlier in the week. If that had been a mm larger I would have been all over it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

To the OP: well, it's been a long time since I've been as taken with anything as I was with many of the purples on the ATG sapphire page!
I think, if you can't find something you love there..well, there was an awful lot of gorgeous sapphires in nearly all shades of purple.

This one wasn't the nicest or the best value, however I really love the violet hue and its unique octagon shape!

Looking through that ATG catalogue has made me more determined to find my own purple now!

sapph_206pt_octagon_purple_1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1402434401|3690320 said:
digdeep|1402427060|3690232 said:
Here's another with a brief......... and looks good to me!!

One note of caution. I've purchased a few stones from him and they were always darker than the pics.

Good to know Niel..I'm sure many are as nice as they seem, but I must say I thought That Many awesome purples in one spot was feeling a little too good..Do they provide other photos on request? Maybe I'm not up to date on my pricing enough too, however the per ct does seem higher than say on lapidary's sites..I know, apples to oranges and all, and I think because nearly all of these are certed perhaps.?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

LoversKites said:
Well the stone I linked, according to the GIA report, measures approx 7.2 x 5.8, meaning the side diamonds will be just a bit smaller than the sapphire. It will look like a 3 stone ring. Corundum is dense and faces up smaller for carat weight. It's often cut deeper than diamonds, too.

I love the colour of the Jeff Davies sapphire but I think from the bright middle area that it has a large bowtie.

Great info! I appreciate that so much. The one you linked is really beautiful and has an elegant feel to it. I wish I could zap all of these to me so I could see them all at once in person! :tongue:

Agnesg said:
Agnesg|1402423578|3690199 wrote:http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/1-dot-51-carat-unheated-purple-sapphire

Chanced upon this yummy grape jelly while viewing the hot pad thread!

It does look yummy! :)
Wish there were more pics and more info. Sounds like most sales are final on loupetroop?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

arjunajane said:
digdeep|1402427060|3690232 wrote:Here's another with a brief......... and looks good to me!!

I too have been keen on a purple sapphire of late (actually, always have wanted a violet-purple, but only took the search serious recently).

This one's colour is awesome!

I'm sure someone has mentioned but Gene of Precision just had a fantastic one scooped up earlier in the week. If that had been a mm larger I would have been all over it!

I do love the color, and the color change aspect too! Wonder if it'll be "skinny" in real life?
I did see Gene's purple sapphire but figured it would be too small and of course with his stones, if you think for a moment they're gone!

arjunajane said:
To the OP: well, it's been a long time since I've been as taken with anything as I was with many of the purples on the ATG sapphire page!
I think, if you can't find something you love there..well, there was an awful lot of gorgeous sapphires in nearly all shades of purple.

This one wasn't the nicest or the best value, however I really love the violet hue and its unique octagon shape!

Looking through that ATG catalogue has made me more determined to find my own purple now!

Glad I could help re-ignite your purple passion! lol
You are so right about the atggems sapphire pages - so much eye candy. Budgets are such a drag! :razz: But, as I've seen others post on this forum, first world problems. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't like the one on LT. It looks like it has some pretty significant cutting issues, including half and half.

And, typically, unless otherwise stated, there aren't returns, but it might be something you can negotiate with each individual seller.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
I don't like the one on LT. It looks like it has some pretty significant cutting issues, including half and half.

And, typically, unless otherwise stated, there aren't returns, but it might be something you can negotiate with each individual seller.

Thanks so much! Everyone is so great to help me narrow these down and give such great info. It seemed a little dark to me - is that the half and half?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

sparkleismyfavcolor|1402441336|3690420 said:
FrekeChild said:

Thanks so much! Everyone is so great to help me narrow these down and give such great info. It seemed a little dark to me - is that the half and half?
Yup. 8) The half and half that it has going on is a cut issue, and would only be resolved by a recut, and I think I remember it being only 1.5cts, so recutting would bring it way below your desired size, if it would even be a candidate for a recut. Also, recutting generally changes colors, so it's very risky.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1402444605|3690472 said:
The half and half that it has going on is a cut issue, and would only be resolved by a recut, and I think I remember it being only 1.5cts, so recutting would bring it way below your desired size, if it would even be a candidate for a recut. Also, recutting generally changes colors, so it's very risky.

I've seen many precision cut stones with this shadowing too and the only way to eliminate this is to cut a different facet design.

It's been many years since I purchased from ATG. Has anyone verified the accuracy of his photography recently?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results