shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone seen any nice purple sapphires out there for sale?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Re: Anyone seen any nice purple sapphires out there for sale

FrekeChild said:
Oh oh oh! I saw this and thought of you instantly! It looks so pretty and I love oval three stones!

Left

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm

Oh wow. That is gorgeous!
I would also love to hear from anyone who has purchased from them lately how their photos compare to real life!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

sparkleismyfavcolor|1402418259|3690126 said:
pregcurious said:
Flawless Facets used to have a beautiful purple cushion sapphire, but I don't see it anymore online.

I know exactly the one you're talking about!! I saw it in and old post and I was just drooling over it, but, alas, some lucky person must have gotten it. :)

I wonder because there are so few stones listed on the new website...

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

pregcurious said:
sparkleismyfavcolor|1402418259|3690126 wrote:

pregcurious wrote:Flawless Facets used to have a beautiful purple cushion sapphire, but I don't see it anymore online.

I know exactly the one you're talking about!! I saw it in and old post and I was just drooling over it, but, alas, some lucky person must have gotten it. :)

I wonder because there are so few stones listed on the new website...

I know his website was down for awhile too...I'll shoot him an email - it's worth a shot! :)

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Update!

Received the gemfix sapphire and took it in to the jeweler's to compare to the one she has. I took pics, but they are horrible. I feel for those who must showcase their gems primarily through photography! Every pic came out nothing like real life. Alas, I am so far from being a professional at this that I'm almost unprofessional! ;-)

Some specs to help with eval -
Jeweler's stone -
1.17 carat oval, seems to be about 7 x 5, extremely brilliant, heated. Comes across as a raspberry-purple or almost wine color in real life. Does have shadowing/half and half

Gemfix stone -
2.32 carat Portuguese round, ~8mm, 5.02 deep. also very brilliant, heated. This one is lighter and flashes purplish pink with more of an amethyst tone to the background. I've not seen many Portuguese rounds in real life, this one behaves in a very interesting way to me - almost looks like a moving Yin/Yang that are chasing each other clockwise or counter-clockwise around the stone when I move it around in different lighting. Could this be shadowing as well?

Ok, first pics with gemfix stone on left, an extra to consider in center, and jeweler's stone on right. Disclaimer: these are awful. In every shot one (or more) of the stones are not head-on! :)
Indoor lighting:

Outdoors:

And indoors on white paper:

Just Gemfix stone pics to follow...

20140611_143042_resized.jpg

20140611_142902_resized.jpg

20140611_143141_resized.jpg

20140611_180020_resized.jpg

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Last one in previous post is indoors. Have to say the hand shot from Gemfix is pretty close to spot on in real life.

My (horrible) hand shot. This stone reflects everything in it's surroundings! The clarity is excellent although the reflections make it appear there are inclusions.

And finally, outdoors:

Would love to hear what everyone thinks!

2014-06-11_18.jpg

20140611_181902_resized.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think someone else pointed out that ovals often display that "half and half" shadow......it comes with the cut. Rounds often don't but you described something that sounds like "It" if the darkness in the round is yin-yang like and moves as you tilt the stone. And yes, these type of shadows in any stone is a moving target.......

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Which is your favorite?

The gem holders are known to chip the girdle of stones.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

pregcurious said:
Which is your favorite?

That's why I'm such a loser, I can't decide!! I do love them both. It is so much easier to exclude one stone or another because of problems, but these two only have minor issues - size and some shadowing on the darker stone, and the other, well I guess now typing this maybe I do like the gemfix one better. I guess my concern with it is the weird Yin/Yang possible shadowing thing it shows sometimes, wondering if that is ok or not? If that is ok, maybe I just decided? lol!!

pregcurious said:
The gem holders are known to chip the girdle of stones.

egads, I had no idea! Thank you so much for telling me!

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

By the way, Is it proper posting etiquette to post these pics for eval here, or should I start another thread?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I think you're fine keeping it on one thread. When you pick a stone and then start picking a setting, you may want to start a new thread and just post a link to this one so the new thread is more manageable and focuses on the setting (and no longer the stone).

I see what you mean by the ying/yang shadowing on the Gemfix round Portuguese cut stone in your first picture with the stone on the left. I've never owned a Portuguese cut stone. I have never seen that kind of shadowing in a round. Shadowing that moves with the perspective of the viewer is commonly seen in elongated stones. (This shadowing is not considered to be "extinction" by the trade. Extinction refers to areas of a stone that are just dead/dark/black, regardless of movement.)

Can one of our cutters comment on the shadowing on round Portuguese cut stones?

It is very difficult to find a good purple sapphire...would you be willing to wait for one that is round and does not show the shadowing? It seems like the shadowing bothers you.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

I would definitely be willing to wait if this is something irregular. Just for fun I googled 'Portuguese round gemstone" and I see some of the same effect on various stones there, one I see is from litnon and one from John Dyer so maybe this is just because of the style of cut? If one of the cutters or anyone who may have a Portuguese round could offer guidance that would be great!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's interesting; I have a two small matched pairs that do not show this so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't like Portuguese cut stones, so I'm biased against them, but that's because I don't like the more "shimmery" appearance of them, much preferring a bigger flash from larger facets.

As far as how they behave when cut, I've only really studied one, and it's long gone. I remember a similar phenomenon in it though - feeling as though you're following the sparkle around in a circle as the stone is moved...

Now, having said all of that, I don't really feel "PURPLE" from these. They all lean more to the pink/red spectrum. Do you have an ideal color that you want?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Chrono said:
That's interesting; I have a two small matched pairs that do not show this so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

It's hard to describe it, but in some lighting the best comparison is looking at a Yin and Yang symbol, Yin in lavender brilliance and Yang in a deeper, almost shadowed purple. When I move the stone around, they seem to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise in the same pattern. The other poster said "Tilt a whirly" pattern, maybe something like those visual patterns that are supposed to hypnotize you? Something like this:

It does concern me that yours don't do that. I just discovered that it's actually a modified Portuguese round - the top is more of a brilliant cut and the bottom is the Portuguese style. Maybe therein lies the difference! :) I dunno. I'm such a noob! :tongue:

hyp.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe they DO swirl but they only have a single swirl so they don't look as hypnotic? I never noticed them in person, just crazy sparkle from the multiple facets.

green_pair.jpg

pink_pair.jpg

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
I don't like Portuguese cut stones, so I'm biased against them, but that's because I don't like the more "shimmery" appearance of them, much preferring a bigger flash from larger facets.

As far as how they behave when cut, I've only really studied one, and it's long gone. I remember a similar phenomenon in it though - feeling as though you're following the sparkle around in a circle as the stone is moved...

Now, having said all of that, I don't really feel "PURPLE" from these. They all lean more to the pink/red spectrum. Do you have an ideal color that you want?

That's an excellent description of it!

The gemfix stone is actually much more purple in real life, although a less deep purple with lighter purple highlights. But definitely does not scream purple, you're right!

As far as the ideal tone, that's my problem - I'm a purple junkie, I love all purples - reddish, bluish, violetish, all except really pastel ones. Never thought it might make my search harder! :)

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Chrono said:
Maybe they DO swirl but they only have a single swirl so they don't look as hypnotic? I never noticed them in person, just crazy sparkle from the multiple facets.

Chrono, those are beautiful!!

I think my description with the hypnotic thing went a little overboard, lol! It's like combining that pattern with the Yin and Yang so that it's just the Yin and Yang swirling. I'm terrible at descriptions! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lol! I'm glad you don't like pastel purples - those are my favorite! Glad we're not in competition! :cheeky:

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
Lol! I'm glad you don't like pastel purples - those are my favorite! Glad we're not in competition! :cheeky:

Not so fast! I just don't want a pastel purple for this project. Now in a hundred years when I'm done with this project and can afford to spend some money again, you're on! LOL! :twirl:

By the way, since I'm so all over the place with my color preferences, maybe I should have gotten this one when I had the chance!

may14bcsapphire.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lol! I think I'm done collecting stones for a while unless something crazy comes on the market that I just have to have.

Do you have pictures of the diamonds you're planning on using with this ring?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
Do you have pictures of the diamonds you're planning on using with this ring?

Here is the pic of my e-ring diamond that I'm hoping to use as one of the side stones:

And just for grins, here is the gemfix sapphire next to it:

img_20140612_162052_508.jpg

img_20140612_162346_352.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Do u have pics of settings that u like?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honestly, I think I'd try to stick with all ovals, as far as shapes go. :sick: I think it's hard to pair oval side stones with non-oval centers and make it look right. Maybe an elongated cushion?

Here is a suite of oval stones that kelpie has on LT, and I like the E/W configuration of the side stones. And N/S looks good too.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos.../oval-finewater-mint-garnet-and-diamond-suite

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

:love: :love: :lickout: that Richard homer stone is beyond gorgeous

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

pregcurious said:
Do u have pics of settings that u like?

Not yet, I'm thinking something relatively simple in white gold, prong set with or without a halo on the center stone and maybe an open basket.
I'd also like to consider antique style settings, and want to check out some of the more "artistic" setting designs as well that are one-of-a-kind (but not too crazy).

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
Honestly, I think I'd try to stick with all ovals, as far as shapes go. :sick: I think it's hard to pair oval side stones with non-oval centers and make it look right. Maybe an elongated cushion?

Here is a suite of oval stones that kelpie has on LT, and I like the E/W configuration of the side stones. And N/S looks good too.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/oval-finewater-mint-garnet-and-diamond-suite

I'm sure you're right. I did start there here's my photo inspiration that started all of this:

If I do go elongated, I would want it to be nice and fat! Lol!!

I love the look of most east west settings! I just wasn't sure if I could pull it off for this since I don't have a huge budget for a sapphire and was afraid a small oval center wouldn't look right with the oval diamonds set east/west unless the center was much larger.

The more time I spend with this round gemfix stone, the more I love it...arrgh what to do. I'm terrible at making decisions bc I feel like once it's done there's no turning back and I hate to think of all the purple sapphires out there that I may miss out on. Gosh I sound like someone about to get married don't I!! :lol: It's just my OCD anxiety talking though, I have a terrible fear of making the wrong decision. I'm a mess. :tongue:

3_stone_sapphire_ring.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

So what kind of setting do you want? Have you seen kelpie's oval mint with the oval or marquise sides? I can't remember which they are, or tell from my photos! Attaching one. I think if you put the sides E/W, they could potentially flow with any cut stone. If you start talking about halos and stuff, I think you have more options. I think trying to incorporate a step cut stone will be harder though.

As far as the GF stone goes, I think it is the best of the three that you were looking at. But if you aren't sold and afraid of what you might miss out on, then it might not be the one?

Gemstones are hard.

wine_0.jpg

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild said:
So what kind of setting do you want? Have you seen kelpie's oval mint with the oval or marquise sides? I can't remember which they are, or tell from my photos! Attaching one. I think if you put the sides E/W, they could potentially flow with any cut stone. If you start talking about halos and stuff, I think you have more options. I think trying to incorporate a step cut stone will be harder though.

Those rings are gorgeous. Seeing the east to west suite set is amazing! The one on the bottom right I really love...wonder if I could work from that? Now you really have me thinking...I had put off getting too far into settings until I found the center stone but these are great inspiration. What are your feelings on halos? I was thinking it would be a good option because it would help highlight the colored stone, but if I couldn't work in the side stones easily that might not work.

FrekeChild said:
As far as the GF stone goes, I think it is the best of the three that you were looking at. But if you aren't sold and afraid of what you might miss out on, then it might not be the one?

Gemstones are hard.

I'm 98% sold on the GF stone but my jacked up brain is working against me. I always feel guilty spending money on myself, so I think about buying something forever, then finally I buy it and it goes on sale the next day and then I'm like, what?! So comparison here would be that I buy GF one, no take-backs and then tomorrow Gene or somebody posts the most awesome purple sapphire in the perfect color and size and shape and cut and price and I beat myself up about it. I know, what are the odds, right?

I guess at this point, if it seems like I have good options with setting this stone and my diamond in a 3 stone ring that has the potential to be something great I'll probably pull the trigger on this one. What are your thoughts?
And thank you so much for listening. =)

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

Here's a three stone with a round center stone and oval sides... the proportions are a bit different from the stones you have though. =)

I'm also a purple lover, so I totally get where you're coming from! The GF sapphire is lovely, and it's tough to find large, well cut, purple sapphires.

Do you like the way the stone looks with your diamond? Can you imagine them (with another diamond friend) on your finger? If so... buy it! :) And then post more photos! :D

_19135.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results