shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Own A Montana Sapphire?

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
From all the photos I've seen on different vendor sites, I'm really liking Montana sapphires...the blue/blue-green variety. I know that they have a tendency to shift in color and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if it shifted to a grayish blue color, but do they go completely, dark gray? I haven't seen any RL stones... and would really appreciate input (or photos) from those who already own one... :confused:

Thanks!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that they will go completely dark unless the stone itself is dark. It will likely depend on the stone, and you would have to contact the vendor on the specific stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some do shift to a more grey color in certain lighting, like incandescent. Before purchasing any, the vendor should allow you to view it in sunlight, incandescent and fluorescent lighting.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the very least, even if they are not willing to take more photos, they should be willing to answer your very specific questions about modifiers and the specific performance of the stone under different lighting conditions...

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I did ask one of the vendors for specific information on the stone I liked most and they stated that there was a slight shift... They have a good return policy, so I decided to go for it and have a look in person. I've searched PS for photos and I've seen several here that really appeal to me - my fingers are crossed!!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting! At least if they have a good return policy you are in a good position. Let us see too please :twirl:

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!! I tend to like unusual stones, so who knows? I'll most definitely post a pic.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I bet you will love it, but I have also seen some pictures on here of Montana sapphire
that looked a whole lot different in-hand than compared to Vendor picture !
Still, with a good return policy ~ go for it !!!!!

I have a small bluish-greenish sapphire, it's an Australian sapphire if I remember right...
I really do like it, because I tend to like changeable stones.
It does look greyish at times, but can also look very very blue :))
And then again, denim blue, and blue green and grey-blue.

My only problem with this stone is, what metal will show it to its best ? :???:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hard to imagine a Montana going really dark. I wish I owned one, LOVE that denim blue. I'd accept it going a little gray in some lights just to see that blue the rest of the time. :lickout:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Coco914, I have a montana from Dana Reynolds and I love the color, It is the denim blue and does shift to a slightly darker blue with some grey but mostly to a more teal color, It never looks just dark grey to me. I have some pics below that I took with my crappy point and shoot but I think they are pretty true to life. The last pic is the most grey I see. Hope that helps.

rsz_1rsz_img_2100.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_2104.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_2097.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my Montana sapphire from Dan Stair. I haven't noticed much gray. I was concerned when I first received it that it might be too dark for my taste, but it grew on me as the week went on. :) It is 7.1 mm, which is bigger than they tend to be, so I don't know if/how that affects colour.

2011_07_18 064.jpg

2011_07_18 065.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow... THANK YOU for posting the pics! NKOTB and Artdecogirl, I love BOTH your sapphires. :love: If the gem I purchased looks as good as either, it'll be a definite keeper!!! I'm going to try not to get excited, though. Just in case it isn't.

Any ideas on how you'll set them???? I was thinking a simple yellow gold setting, if I keep the one I ordered....

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, what gorgeous gems, NKOTB and artdecogirl. :love: I want a Montana now! I wouldn't even mind its being grey a lot - I love the shift possibilities! Damnit CSers, will I ever be content...?! :naughty:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I've got one from Dana that I love. Small and kind of icy/silver, but I like it a lot. Still unset. It's the little blue guy here.

IMG_1601.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Hi Novel, I really like my blues a little icy... it's what drew my attention to the Montana sapphires to begin with. Yours is a great shade!! Have any plans for it?

Thanks so much for sharing your pic. :appl:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/from-rough-to-me-new-jim-rentfrow-montana-sapphire.159069/?hilit=montana']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/from-rough-to-me-new-jim-rentfrow-montana-sapphire.159069/?hilit=montana[/URL]

Here is mine from Jim Rentfrow. Apparently it's not a common color for a Montana sapphire - I love it! I have a couple of blue sapphire rings (one is from Madagascar and one I'm not sure of the origin) so I'm hoping to eventually set this one in a diamond halo necklace.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Coco914|1314474095|3001882 said:
Hi Novel, I really like my blues a little icy... it's what drew my attention to the Montana sapphires to begin with. Yours is a great shade!! Have any plans for it?

Thanks so much for sharing your pic. :appl:

Thanks! I love it. Ilike my blues light and icy, too. Though IceKid's sapphire is my definite favorite. This was my first non-ebay gem buy. The eventual plan is for a thin, white gold bezel pendant. Chrono suggested to line it with yellow gold, because the color responds so well to that warmth. I'm waiting until after our wedding, I think, to do it, when I don't feel like the money should go somewhere else! But I'm looking forward to it. I wish I could find my other pictures of it. I'll look.

Do you have any you're looking at? Gemfix seemed to have some nice ones.

ETA terrible pics. Found in my old thread about the sapphire.

breadboxsapphire.JPG

sparklyfruitysapphire.JPG

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Colorluvr - That has to be THE bluest Montana Sapphire ever!! I wouldn't even have guessed it was an Montana, it's such a royal blue...and very beautiful too. A pendant with a diamond halo would be gorgeous, bet it's really made that stone pop!

Novel - The first picture in your last post has to be one of my favorite. I just love stones that change their color like that, gives'em a bit of mystery!! Your stone definitely deserves the "right" setting. That said, I'm not sure I'd have your patience. :devil: Your idea to set it in a bezel with a touch of gold around the stone sounds beautiful. When you get around to it, you'll definitely have to post pics! After speaking with Laura from Gemfix via emails, I did actually decide to go with one of their Montanas... Now I'm waiting on pins and needles....

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Coco914|1314479069|3001990 said:
Novel - The first picture in your last post has to be one of my favorite. I just love stones that change their color like that, gives'em a bit of mystery!! Your stone definitely deserves the "right" setting. That said, I'm not sure I'd have your patience. :devil: Your idea to set it in a bezel with a touch of gold around the stone sounds beautiful. When you get around to it, you'll definitely have to post pics! After speaking with Laura from Gemfix via emails, I did actually decide to go with one of their Montanas... Now I'm waiting on pins and needles....

Oooh, I can't wait to see it! Post pics when you get it, of course!

I don't know why I've been so patient, honestly. I think I'm not up for having more than one iron in the fire at a time and got a bit burned on a pendant I had done for my sister, so it put me off for a while. But I bet I come back to in the next year...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thankyou Coco and Nat, I love this stone. The thing with the blues is they give you too many options it's so hard to decide on a metal, the blue color is great with all yellows, I can just picture it with a high carat yellow gold or pink or even green gold would be gorgeous! And the steely tones would be wonderful with platinum, white gold or silver. It is a great idea to do the 2 tone, I had the worst time deciding but did decide to go with white gold in a bezel setting pendant, Michael E has it now and hopefully I will have something soon, it is sooooo hard to wait.... Looking forward to seeing your stone Coco!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I had a Dan Stair asscher montana sapphire and loved it. It was one of the first CS I ever bought. I sold it recently as it was just too small for me to set. That is the only bad thing about PS :knockout: It makes you want BIG stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results