shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone buy from ebay seller siamgold78?

drruby

Shiny_Rock
the dealer rating is a little low, so they have had issues

spinel is a little heavier than diamond but very close to the same SG as diamond

so the weight looks close to the size

but the dealers VVS1 claims are not from GIA

they don't clarity grade CG

GIA considers spinel a Type II gemstone so they are usually SI at best

VVS1 no such Type II IMO

But dealers can say what they want

That's the whole problem with CG grading, no top labs put a clarity grade on CG

before someone says AGL, they were owned by CU Collectors Universe and that IMO disqualifies them as a GEM LAB

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DrRuby, do you place any importance on colour? You talk about every other C except the primary C that makes up Coloured Stones. You write about table and depth but there is more to cut quality than that. Different designs require different parameters and there's the issue of zoning, extinction, windowing and more, which are cut related.

I've read some negative reviews about this vendor but it was several years ago.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
I like deep red in rubies

My experience with Color is regions have preferences for color.

It's why I love to get deep red rubies in Asia like in Bangkok or Chatanburi since Asians prefer light pink hues to rubies so the deeper reds with purple hues that the USA market prefers can be bought at great prices IMO in asia.

My issues expressed here have been mostly with transparency grades by GIA for rubies.

Color, that's in the eye of the beholder and is probably the main thing for any colored gem.

Then weight, then clarity then treatments.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal1128|1441118101|3922077 said:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/DREAM-COLOR-1-13CT-GIA-CERTIFIED-LIPSTICK-BUBBLE-GUM-PINK-GIA-MGOK-SPINEL-/221869010741?nav=SEARCH

Any suggestion for this spinel? Thank you.

I really love the color, and the fact that it has a GIA report helps a great deal. I also only buy ebay stones that come with videos, because I never trust the "beauty shots". However, this one still looks great in video, which is great. I feel like I see a potential window, but it looks relatively small and hopefully would close on setting.

I also recommend using toolhaus to look at more details about negative reviews for them, and also maybe message them to see if they will take a best offer. Lots of vendors will even if it isn't listed as an option.

Overall I like it, but I'm definitely not a spinel expert, and OBVIOUSLY not as brilliant as DrRuby, who knows all things about everything :angel: :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you and I prefer is personal but the general market preference sets the price, so knowing colour inside out means making the right decision for the buyer AND knowing the appropriate price for that colour.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
lovedogs|1441121043|3922098 said:
Overall I like it, but I'm definitely not a spinel expert, and OBVIOUSLY not as brilliant as DrRuby, who knows all things about everything :angel: :angel:

DR Ruby

You know I do have the right to use the DR in my name in my field.

As far as CG goes, I am very knowledgeable on Rubies and I have a passing interest in many areas of CG outside of Ruby.

But DR RUBY is what many that know me call me, if they get a RUBY in their shop they call the DR.

ME

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the complaints about this seller have been that in hand, the color of the stone was not as saturated as indicated by their photos, etc. In this case, there are two concerns: 1) the photos, as exemplified by the tweezers, have been enhanced to accentuate the pink; and 2) there is no photo shown from GIA. I find GIA's photos of stones fairly accurate, so it may be they are not showing the GIA photo because it is less attractive than they have portrayed the stone to be.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
I question any seller slapping a VVS1 grade on any Type II gemstone.

Most good dealers are 100% or at least 99% on ebay.

Below 99%, well it's usually issues.

Not a total ban on a seller but below 99% warrants serious investigation.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
drruby|1441121937|3922114 said:
DR Ruby

As far as CG goes, I am very knowledgeable on Rubies and I have a passing interest in many areas of CG outside of Ruby.

But DR RUBY is what many that know me call me, if they get a RUBY in their shop they call the DR.

ME

OH, MY SIDES!
I, for one, thank you for your posts, Dr.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
drruby|1441121937|3922114 said:
Hope you aren't introducing yourself as Dr. in court or using that appellation before your name on briefs, etc. Think virtually all judges (and most of your colleagues) consider that the hallmark of a J.D. who is a glassbowl. It doesn't impress anyone in your profession, and no one else should be impressed either.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
JD that was many decades ago.

Usually kids call me PROFESSOR and yes Dr is my academic shingle and yet I still do some appellate work and Judges do call me Professor or Dr.

Yawn

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1441122537|3922121 said:
So the complaints about this seller have been that in hand, the color of the stone was not as saturated as indicated by their photos, etc. In this case, there are two concerns: 1) the photos, as exemplified by the tweezers, have been enhanced to accentuate the pink; and 2) there is no photo shown from GIA. I find GIA's photos of stones fairly accurate, so it may be they are not showing the GIA photo because it is less attractive than they have portrayed the stone to be.

That is a great point, minous! This is why I was hoping that people more knowledgable about this than myself would chime in. I am terrible at judging whether photos are enhanced, but now that I look again that does seem likely.

OP: maybe ask the vendor for more photos and see what those look like?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great advice from minous. I would recommend looking up the GIA report (GIA REPORT 1208413860) if you are thinking of purchasing the stone. Make sure you download the PDF file to get the picture of the stone. I do not think the color is as vibrant as the seller's video portrays, plus the stone seems slightly windowed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1441123709|3922135 said:

Great advice from minous. I would recommend looking up the GIA report (GIA REPORT 1208413860) if you are thinking of purchasing the stone. Make sure you download the PDF file to get the picture of the stone. I do not think the color is as vibrant as the seller's video portrays, plus the stone seems slightly windowed.

Brilliant! I didn't think of this and it should answer the question.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pulled the GIA report and screen-shot the image they show. It might be small or hard to see here, but I'd say it's definitely more muted than the vendor pic, but still looks pretty. But definitely nowhere near as bright and "bubblegum-y". For reference I pasted the vendor pic on top, GIA on bottom.

EDIT: I have no idea what's happening with my images. I'm trying to get the correct picture to show up (the correct one shows up on my photo viewer but then incorrectly on the post......weird) OK, works now.

Stone.jpg
GIA%20stone%20pic.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, they are not as different as I thought they might be!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal1128|1441133925|3922240 said:
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=221866479631&category=110873&pm=1&ds=0&t=1441133578794

I thought about this one first but it was sold the next day. The image from the vendor and GIA report
image_3813.jpg
image_3814.jpg

wow, that one is amazing! And the GIA photo is so similar!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what a coincidence. I just purchased 2 items from this vendor a few days ago. I ask for express shipping so I'll have my stones late this week. I was worried the stones would get sold so I did my research quickly including checking the GIA website, comparing video and still and Gia photos etc. Also did toolhaus and a couple of other checks. Communication with vendor was excellent. I asked for a hand shot and received it right away. I am really hoping this works out. Fingers crossed. I'll post once I have the stones in hand

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor's picture are a lot brighter, more saturated and shows a nicer modifier so if you tone down your expectations a bit, the actual stone should come closer to what you'll receive. Also note that most spinels shift under indoor lighting to colours that are very different from the outdoor pictures. Spinels and sapphires look best under strong diffused sunlight, which is what is shown here. Hand shots can also easily be photoshopped but less so for videos.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought some stones from this vendor several years ago and can confirm that the videos weren't accurate! I have no idea how you change a video but what I received was different to what the video showed and I was hugely disappointed. As has been pointed out, the still photos have clearly been manipulated and that's always a warning sign. Nobody has fingers that colour (unless of course you're Dr Ruby who has had them certified by the GIA as transparent fingers).

I've got to say though that my experiences were from several years ago so the vendor may well have changed the way they sell.

Princess LD of Nowhere
(and yes I can use that name but people prefer to call me QUEENIE). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1441215988|3922696 said:
I bought some stones from this vendor several years ago and can confirm that the videos weren't accurate! I have no idea how you change a video but what I received was different to what the video showed and I was hugely disappointed. As has been pointed out, the still photos have clearly been manipulated and that's always a warning sign. Nobody has fingers that colour (unless of course you're Dr Ruby who has had them certified by the GIA as transparent fingers).

I've got to say though that my experiences were from several years ago so the vendor may well have changed the way they sell.

Princess LD of Nowhere
(and yes I can use that name but people prefer to call me QUEENIE). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I about spit out my ice water laughing!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate the due diligence you did to compare the pics, etc. It will be really helpful to see what they are like for you in hand. It could be that over the years, the vendor has toned down the glamor shots and now has photos that are more consistent with the stones. If this is the case, and while a bit exaggerated is still close to the actual stone, I may consider buying from them in the future. :praise:

Crystal1128

Rough_Rock
Sungura|1441136514|3922269 said:
Wow what a coincidence. I just purchased 2 items from this vendor a few days ago. I ask for express shipping so I'll have my stones late this week. I was worried the stones would get sold so I did my research quickly including checking the GIA website, comparing video and still and Gia photos etc. Also did toolhaus and a couple of other checks. Communication with vendor was excellent. I asked for a hand shot and received it right away. I am really hoping this works out. Fingers crossed. I'll post once I have the stones in hand

Please post lots of pictures after you receive your gems. I cross my finger that you will like them.

Crystal1128

Rough_Rock
LD |1441215988|3922696 said:

Princess LD of Nowhere

LD, you have such great sense of hummer. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Crystal1128

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441138408|3922277 said:
The vendor's picture are a lot brighter, more saturated and shows a nicer modifier so if you tone down your expectations a bit, the actual stone should come closer to what you'll receive. Also note that most spinels shift under indoor lighting to colours that are very different from the outdoor pictures. Spinels and sapphires look best under strong diffused sunlight, which is what is shown here. Hand shots can also easily be photoshopped but less so for videos.

Chrono, do you have photos to show the indoor and outdoor color difference of your red spinel? I love your red spinel- that color, that size, that price....... :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I received my stones from Siamgold78 on thurs but just managed to take pictures today.

Stats: 1.83 ct dark clue cobalt spinel that exhibits a color shift. 8.02mm x 6.99mm x 4.16mm cushion cut. (So cut to its limits and faces up big) with GiA certification

I was looking for an similar sized cushion darkish blue spinel for work for the days when in need to wear a navy suit and not stand out too much. In my best case scenario the spinel would generally look navy but sparkly and occasionally flash bright colors taking people to see it by surprise. Planned a three stone ring in white gold with diamond traps or rounds on each side

In summary i think the vendor pics were fair. Stone is pictured at its best and looks great even in my coast USA sun and shade. Of course I know what blue spinels are like so I don't expect to see the bright blue all the time. I know that the sun in thailand is a different brightness and that colors in tropical countries look more saturated in general than they do in temperate climates (my apt in Bogota Colombia can have orange walls and look great but the same paint color in NY looks silly (speaking from experience) given the dimensions I expected the stone to have some windowing but it disappears when I pop it into a setting. I'm happy. I still don't think my pics capture the stone at its best. Taking a pic with iPhone using one hand is complicated

Here is Gia report. I think it is hard to read so you can look online if you want. Report number: 2206600972

Here is vendor video http://youtu.be/lH1FKL7M3Yo

Here are vendor pics on left and mine on right

This shows color "shift". Left stone is a color shift sapphire, middle stone is cobalt spinel' right stone is my other blue spinel (flashes teal). Color change sapphire goes from tanzanite color to amethyst color. Top pic is outside under tree and bottom pic is in supermarket

Hope this helps. Oh by the way I also bought a rose pink spinel from same vendor. I'm probably going to return it because the color, though beautiful, doesn't go with my skin tone. Liked the cut. Chubby with high crown

Edited to include GIA report number and fix typo

_34007.jpg

_34009.jpg

_34010.jpg

_34013.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results