shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Pad. Spinel added to my spinel collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
How rare is this color spinel? Is it considered Padparadscha color if it were sapphire? Which one is more rare, Pad. color spinel or Pad. color sapphire?
34.gif
Thanks

Padparadscha Spinel 1.87ct. 1A2.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no clue TKC, just wanted to say that stone is yummy.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
That is a very nice spinel! What is the size on that one? Seems to me I see a lot more purplish red colored ones.
Thanks for sharing the image with us.
Best regards Doug

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture looks pretty pad-ish to me. At least according to what pink-ish lotus looks like. Sure enough - no lab would grade anything but sapphire by that name... and I am sure you know that.

Otherwise, I don''t feel bad calling some spinel, tourmaline or garnet ''pad color'' on a whim - if they are a cheery warm shade of pink. Especially since I am not presenting them for sale
2.gif
It looks like it is also up to you to appreciate the color as such.

To me, this makes a refreshing experience - to have some freedom to apply personal judgement and taste with little pressure to recognize the fit with whatever standard denomination out there.

I am quite curious about one thing: apparently at least some sellers have caught the ''padparatcha spinel'' name and have adjusted prices for these stones to make them a class apart - but this doesn''t seem to be general practice. Do you get to see the ''pad color'' label on anything but sapphire often?

TKC

Shiny_Rock
The size of the spinel is 1.86 carats. The color is a blend between pink and orange, but I am not quite sure if it has more orange or more pink. I don''t see any purple or red hue on the stone. I have seen many tourmalines with Pad color like, but not on spinels. Don''t you think spinels with Pad. color like also deserve to be called Pad. spinels? Since there was a time that spinel was ever mistaken as ruby. I see spinels on ajsgems. Most of them are reds, orangy reds, pinks, purples, blues, and brownish oranges. A spinel that I think looks like Pad. color at ajsgems is the one weighs 5.13 carats from Vietnam. I have another spinel that has the same color with the picture I posted. I cannot take the picture of it because it is still sealed. It weighs more than 3 carats.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
TKC I agreed with you. I was saying that I see more spinels that are purpleish red than are orangish red. I did see in a price guide where bright orangish red spinels are priced more than they have listed. As far as calling a spinel padparasha, I think that term is reserved for sapphires. Some people seem to get a little miffed by the thought of a spinel being called a pad. I am luckey enough to have aquired a spinel which is orangy red also. I think mine is from africa. It is very nice in color but is a little sleepy.Very nice though.
Regards Doug

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Fireboldgold, That is a very beatiful ring. I love the modern look of it. Nice tourmaline to. Is it a bi-color?
Regards Doug

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 3:37:55 PM
Author: colormyworld
Fireboldgold, That is a very beatiful ring. I love the modern look of it. Nice tourmaline to. Is it a bi-color?
Regards Doug

i LOVE that ring...! more info please.

movie zombie

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 2:57:30 PM
Author: colormyworld
TKC I agreed with you. I was saying that I see more spinels that are purpleish red than are orangish red. I did see in a price guide where bright orangish red spinels are priced more than they have listed. As far as calling a spinel padparasha, I think that term is reserved for sapphires. Some people seem to get a little miffed by the thought of a spinel being called a pad. I am luckey enough to have aquired a spinel which is orangy red also. I think mine is from africa. It is very nice in color but is a little sleepy.Very nice though.
Regards Doug
As far as I know, Padparadscha sapphire was reserved for the sapphires with lotus blossom color from Ceylon only, but now certain sapphires from anywhere in the world with lotus blossom color can be called Pad. sapphires, even with lab. report from respected laboratory. Don''t you think it was because of the gem dealers'' request to the labs to call certain sapphires with the blend of orange and pink color to be called Padparadscha, no matter where they come from? I think one day when popularity of spinel is like sapphire, and the demand and price are really high, gem dealers may also want certain names for spinels, like Pad. spinels. This is just my opinion.
1.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Yea I would have to agree. I have seen yellowish orange sapphires called pads. To me pad. color is like you see at sunrise(sunset) in the clouds. A rich orangish pink or pinkish orange. I guess it depends on which lab does the paper work.
I think pad color spinels are called flame spinels. Because spinel is not familer to the public the value is not as high as it would be if better known.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 4:11:15 PM
Author: TKC

Is that a princess cut tourmaline or scissor cut? I like the ring, too. It must be much nicer in person.
It''s a princess cut. Looking at it now, it faces up fairly pink and shows bits of orange when moved. (I''m thinking tourmaline can be dichroic, if memory serves?).

Anyway, it doesn''t begin to compare with TKC''s gorgeous spinel! I''m very envious, that is a truly lovely pad color! Totally luscious
18.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 6:08:30 PM
Author: movie zombie

if i could have that spinel in that ring!

movie zombie

I think that spinel would also look lovely in something old-fashioned, or a pendant.

How about it TKC? Are you planning on setting that amazing spinel? Or will it go under glass in your collection?
2.gif

I can''t decide if it''s a good thing or not that spinel is not popular with the public. It helps keep the prices down for us admirers, but otoh spinel deserves to be recognized for the lovely gem that it is! IMO.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 6:26:21 PM
Author: Wren

Date: 1/28/2006 6:08:30 PM
Author: movie zombie

if i could have that spinel in that ring!

movie zombie

I think that spinel would also look lovely in something old-fashioned, or a pendant.

How about it TKC? Are you planning on setting that amazing spinel? Or will it go under glass in your collection?
2.gif

I can''t decide if it''s a good thing or not that spinel is not popular with the public. It helps keep the prices down for us admirers, but otoh spinel deserves to be recognized for the lovely gem that it is! IMO.
I think I am going to put under glass for that spinel because I have another Pad. color spinel that I want to set it into pendant. Here is another Pad. color spinel that I have (I posted it in the pricescope forum before):
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/padparadscha-color-spinel.29272/

Here is the lay out of the pendant that I want to make. The Pad. color spinel is the one on the top. They are all gorgeous stones, but the lighting makes them look dark.

Necklace Design 7A4.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad the public is unaware of spinel. With the price being low I can afford to buy more of them. These are all spinels in my avatar.
I would never be able to afford a top colored 7ct pad sapphire, but I was able to get a 7ct pad colored spinel.
36.gif
');" alt="Insert smilie
36.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/36.gif" align="absMiddle border=0"> Not to mention some incrediable red ones as well although not 7cts sized. I am sure the price on spinels will rise as the public becomes aware of their beauty. In the mean time i'll be on the look out for fine stones to aquire. Get while the getting is good. Doug

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I started to separate my orange-pink spinels and name them ‘pad-spinels’ just last year.

This because of requests for padparadscha spinel as alternatives for the real pads, which some people find too expensive while others are afraid to buy beryllium sapphires.

Though perhaps traditionally not 100% correct, I feel those spinels do deserve to be set apart for their rare color (especially when they come from Sri Lanka).

Latest when people ask for them, traders will happily take over the extra value.

Edward Bristol
www.wildfishgems.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results