shape
carat
color
clarity

Another E-ring thread...help needed (blue sapphire)

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Sally at Heart of Water Jewels makes a pretty floral (lotus) setting: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels

Check out her sold items too. There's also a thread here on her lotus rings: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-lotus-rings.120874/

I'm considering having my stone set by her too and she told me turn around time is about 7 weeks though... (I'm not sure if that includes shipping times-she's located in Thailand. You could have her make the setting for you though, without your stone, and have it sent directly to you then have it set by a local jeweler.)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure your fiance takes into account how high the stone is set. The Stuller you posted has the stone set so high I'd be afraid of it catching on things. It all depends on her preference though, and how careful she is with her jewelry.

Congrats on the engagement and the wonderful stone!

AFlyOnTheWall

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow - that is a really high setting for a stone that large.

I know a lot of jewelers - what area do you live in? It would be a crime to go with a ready made setting for such a unique stone...BTW - great choice Andrew was the "Cutting Edge Award" Winner a couple years - his work is stunning.

...and the nice thing about going to a designer is that you get exactly what you want!

LMK a city and how far you are willing to travel and I can give you some suggestions.

Robyn

joebox

Rough_Rock
I'm based out of San Francisco but come often to the LA area and San Diego is no problem as well.

I agree as I also felt that the setting was a bit high, though the one we saw in the store was not as high. Hoping to find the right setting and the time frame would have to be before April 24th as that's the day I'm proposing.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on finding a lovely sapphire that your FF loves!

I think from a practical standpoint the Stuller setting is high, and leaves a lot of the girdle exposed. Sapphires are hard, but they aren't indestructible, and for a daily wear ring, I think with this setting it's a matter of time before there's a good hard thunk, and then a chip (or worse) on the girdle.

The JbEG Lily setting is gorgeous, and the Gabbie can be done without pave, and has even more of a flower-like look. Also, the quality of the JbEG settings are vastly superior to the Stuller.

1144735485_img_0387.jpg

AFlyOnTheWall

Rough_Rock
Trade
joebox|1300300576|2873352 said:
I'm based out of San Francisco but come often to the LA area and San Diego is no problem as well.

I agree as I also felt that the setting was a bit high, though the one we saw in the store was not as high. Hoping to find the right setting and the time frame would have to be before April 24th as that's the day I'm proposing.

OK - so give these folks a look:

Vicente Agor http://vicenteagor.com/landing.htm
(don't be put off by all the diamonds on the home page - he works well with colored gems and has received awards for his Antarctica collection - he is both the seller and the maker so no sending somewhere else to be made) Bay Area

Gordon Aatlo http://gordonaatlo.com/
(the king of working with colored gems in simple - architectural settings - again - both the maker & the seller) Bay Area

Mark Schneider http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/home/
(Award Winning Designer and Maker - the nice thing here is he is next to a traditional jewelry store so if he can't help you there may be something at Schneider Jewelers) Long Beach, Ca

Calla Gold http://www.callagoldjewelry.com/
(Designer that is known for her custom designs - she is a gem to work with and you WILL get what you want) Santa Barbara, CA

Find one whose style works for you and then call them to see how busy they are and if they can work within your time frame...

BTW - if you are checking traditional Jewelry Stores - have them check their regular settings - not Bridal!

Good luck - let me know if you need more...

Robyn Hawk

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the sapphire you found - beautiful color and Portuguese is my favorite round cut.

For a setting, if your budget will stretch for it, my vote goes to the JBeg "Sophie" setting - the plain solitaire style (meaning no pave, because of course it is not a plain style!). I think your blue sapphire will look truly gorgeous in the Sophie; and while it is a classic, very easy-to-wear setting, the little fleurs on the head take the ring to a whole 'nother level design-wise. Plus the fact that it will be made for your stone and have their excellent craftsmanship and quality.

(Disclaimer: I am longing to put my blue spinel cushion in the Sophie, but due to finances may have to make due with a Stuller shank and Stuller's version of the fleur basket - which now that I think of it is made for a round stone, so I'll link it here - I don't think it is as pretty or nicely designed as Jbeg's at all, but it would be less expensive... http://www.stuller.com/products/28095/2985245/?groupId=105100.)

Stuller%20fleur%20-%2028095_1023P_UNSET_STR_B.jpg

No matter which setting you choose, if you plan to propose April 24th, you better get your ducks in a row double-quick!

joebox

Rough_Rock
I am starting to really like this one. It's the LILY by JBEG. However, my fiance doesn't want any diamonds so will ask for a plain one. Or perhaps some sort of engraving design?

12795589_XX3pg-3.jpg

12795589_XX3pg-7.jpg

AFlyOnTheWall

Rough_Rock
Trade
Check out the side view of this ring...less diamonds - more milgraining - but it still has a softer floral look.

sapphire_0.jpg sapphire1_2.jpg

Robyn

joebox

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your suggestions Robyn. That piece has a lot of detailed work! But she wants something that is simple and clean without appearing chunky or cluttered. I'm leaning towards going with the Lily and JBEG has gotten back to me that they can do an engraving for the petals. I think the best settings are like signs, they have to be noticeable but you don't necessarily want to be so absorbed by the sign that you miss what it should be pointing towards. A simple design that attracts the eye towards the sapphire without distracting the eye.

I have to get my stone to them by next week to ensure I get it before Easter! Decisions!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Lily, especially without pave, and I think the way you just described the role of the setting is a fantastic one for people who like a plainer look. jBEG is making my ering setting right now, and I've found them (for what its worth) a great value for the money compared to other custom quotes I got, a pleasure to work with, and efficient.

AFlyOnTheWall

Rough_Rock
Trade
joebox|1300372711|2873952 said:
I think the best settings are like signs, they have to be noticeable but you don't necessarily want to be so absorbed by the sign that you miss what it should be pointing towards. A simple design that attracts the eye towards the sapphire without distracting the eye.

This is beautifully said...the best to you and your new bride :appl:

Robyn

joebox

Rough_Rock
While I prefer the work of jBEG, my fiance seems to really prefer the Tulipset. So we'll ask them to make it not set as high and see what they can do.

Hope it turns out well...though I prefer the Lily sans pauve with engraving it is her ring. =)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Glad it's all decided! A good thing about the stuller is that it will let a lot of light to the stone, so it won't darken any further. Please make sure the come back with pictures of the finished ring!

joebox

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Hopefully by tues it will be finished. Now to put the proposal in motion!

stylish1

Rough_Rock
I had a question about blue sapphire and I think my questions were answered reading the posts here. This seems like a good site to get information on any gems I come up with.

joebox

Rough_Rock
Went with the tulip setting and in my opinion it is beautiful! And it really shows off the stone!

Holding it in my hands, I was initially a little disappointed as it wasn't as bright as the picture and I agree with the other person who bought it first that you don't see all of the floral pattern in the stone.

However, with this setting and all the light that enters it really is a beautiful blue and you can see the floral pattern in the cut. Will hope to get some pics up by next week. It really does look like a flower and I know she'll love it!

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry about it not being as bright as it is in the picture, you'll find that the stone does very different things based on what type of light it's getting, ex strong daylight, diffused daylight, florescent, etc.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait for pics (I guess you should probably let her see it first before posting pics here, but I'll be on tenterhooks waiting :) )! Glad you love the setting. :appl:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
*bump*

because I'm a sucker for a blue engagement ring! :tongue:

joebox

Rough_Rock
Getting a friend to shoot some pictures in a few weeks. Will post after Easter!

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
I loove sapphire e-rings :love:
Can't wait to see it!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this thread???? I want to see pics too:) I have a sapphire e-ring (1 ct sapphire in a three stone-little trapezoid diamonds on each side). I love the JbEG settings, but the stuller tulip is a great one too, especially if it is not set up quite so high:)

Can't wait to see pics after Easter:)

Congrats!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Simply sapphires is a really great vendor. I've worked with John on a couple of gems, and all have been gorgeous. Check out his inventory, or shoot him an email. He's generally short, but very to the point, and if you describe what you're looking for, he'll be the first to say if the gems you're considering fit the bill or not.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous photo.....and the ring is lovely, too, can't wait to see photos of that. But really, the look on both your faces says it all! Congratulations to both of you, and best wishes for a long and happy life together.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! You make a gorgeous couple and you did really well on that ring! The blue really zings, even in the more far away shot! You should be very proud.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! Congratulations on your engagement as well!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I can;t believe myself, I am almost ready to cry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a beautiful ring, but even better is the sentimental search for
the perfect stone and setting,
and Priceless is the happiness glowing on your faces !!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations and many many years of happiness to you both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, the ring is gorgeous and I love how the sapphire glows, but even more you both look SO HAPPY!!!! Congrats again!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results