shape
carat
color
clarity

Andesine Labradorite olive with red color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
http://tinyurl.com/locrr

Hi,

I've read a bunch of the posts here, and several online articles, about Andesine/Labradorite/Sunstone. Being a novice gemstone collector I am still confused. Basically, I'm also a bit nervous because I bought a large stone similar in color to the one in the above link (NOT the stone in the link). Mine is very clear, with only a nick or 2 on the back facets, mostly a pale lime-olive green (one end is more blue-green, but light), with fine streaks of red, and darker flashes of green. None of the green, including the flashes are the really dark blue-green which everyone seems to be touting. Under fluorescent lighting the red is stronger. I assume that this is a mild color shift.

To my eye, the stone is really neat, and I know that a lot of what values a stone is its eye appeal. But as I've said, I am a novice collector, and this being the largest stone I've EVER had in hand, well, maybe the size is distracting me.
1.gif

However. I would like to know, 1) if the green is generally indeed rarer than the red, 2) if my, this green is as desirable as the blue-green, 3) is this an unusually large carat weight (there seem to be some big stones out there), 4) does the color suggest an area of origin? And I guess I'd like to get an impression of what real gem collectors think of this particular stone...would it be a keeper for you folks, with the idea that at some point this type of stone would become scarce, or that it is as unusual as it seems (to me)?

Link to album with 3 photos of my stone, 18.7 cwt, 22 x 16 mm. Photos are taken with camera white-adjusted for incandescent and fluorescent lighting. (You have to adjust the camera for the white background). The 2 photos of the back show the color the best, and are taken with the 2 types of lighting. This is a tough thing to photo.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gerdan100/album?.dir=/504bre2&.src=ph

Thanks for any info.
Ger

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I do believe that the green is more valuable than the red. I am a collector of the red myself. Your stone is gorgeous. Maybe some of the Andesine/Labradorite collectors will chime in here and give their opinions.

Linda

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Hi Linda,

I have a few smaller red stones and they are gorgeous. I am starting to appreciate how unusual any red stones are in general! I think the Red Andesine/Labradorite has a bright "future," particularly since they''re saying that the stones are untreated! The green, on the other hand, does not seen as striking, green being seen in so many families of stones. The main color in my stone is almost like a washed-out Peridot! As I''ve said before, the size of the stone is what got me so excited.
19.gif
But is this a stone which can be easily obtained in such a large size, or do I really have something to be excited about?

Thanks for the reply, and I too hope some others will offer some comments.
Ger

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Hello ger100...From what I have heard the green is rarer than the red and it can have a color shift to it. That is the red you are seeing. The truer red is the most desired. I had a ring appraised and he said it would have been 2800.00 more if it were 2 shades darker.BUMMER!I don''t personally care for the green or the red...I like the red-orange, but that is just me.

Connie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results