shape
carat
color
clarity

An impulsive buy: .88 Mastercut Gems Ruby in Sholdt, via BGD

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Red is my favorite color. When I started reading about colored stones on PS a few months ago, a nice ruby was at the top of my wishlist. So I bought a small, 0.88 Burmese ruby from Mastercut Gems' in the final hours of one of Dana's sales, after realizing I would regret it if I missed out. The 0.88 carat stone measures 5.40 - 5.29 X 3.36 mm and is a slightly wonky round. It's from Mong Hsu, and has been heated with flux, and there are flux residues in a crevasse. In daylight, it looks just like the vendor pictures below. It glows, and is unmistakably RED. Indoors, under fluorescent lighting, it dies and becomes extremely dark. I also noticed that it became dark when I covered the pavilion with aluminum foil.

32592.jpg32598.jpg32597.jpg

Despite its flaws, I find my little ruby very pretty, and decided to set it in a simple solitaire. I've always admired the modern, fluid lines Sholdt settings. Someone here on Pricescope posted about Brian Gavin's March madness sale, where stones and settings were paired up with teams in the tournament. The discounts started out around 8%, but teams that advanced had the corresponding items increase in discount. Sadly, the setting I had my eye on got "eliminated" in the first round, but I was still able to take advantage of the initial discount by ordering on the last day it was active. Brian Gavin calls it the Minnie, and on Sholdt's site it's the R472-1. It's a very open setting, to maximize light shining on the stone.

My heart sank a bit when I saw the glamour shots from BGD, because the ruby looks so dark and muddy. It's okay, because I know it will look much better in sunlight. I look forward to picking it up on Friday! I'm terrible with pictures, so all I have for now are vendor shots.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Re: An impulsive buy: .88 Mastercut Gems Ruby in Sholdt, via

Glamour shots:
briangavin_sholdt_uhuang4b_042315_0.jpg
briangavin_sholdt_uhuang3b_042315.jpgbriangavin_sholdt_uhuang2b_042315.jpgbriangavin_sholdt_uhuang1b_042315.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How fun! I bet it'll be beautiful! I love rubies.

Dont be upset about the glamour shots. I'm sure their lighting is guaged towards diamonds,and I'm sure they didn't change it up for the stone.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

It's wonderful! I love the simple lines. Perfect for highlighting your ruby. Wish I had a ruby!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm sure it will be different in person! When I had my round chrysoberyl set, the glamour shots made me want to cry seeing the color of the stone and it is the perfect color in real life. Can't wait to see it on your hand! I love red stones in yellow gold.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

Aw, thanks everyone! [emoji1]

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I agree not to be alarmed about the glamour shots. They probably use points of direct light to get diamonds to sparkle. Colored stones do best in diffused light. My own red spinel looks meh in its vendor glamour shots, but it looks much better in my own pictures and in real life.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Your ring is delicate and elegant, I think the Ruby will look much better in real life.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely and elegant setting and a beautiful ruby.
Most vendors have their photography geared towards diamonds. It will look beautiful in real life.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just so elegant! I will await your photos, as those photos look all about the beautiful setting and not focused on the stone at all. I love yellow gold and red together - its so royal.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Taking a second look today at those pics....Yup, still love it! Can't wait for hand shots

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

urseberry|1429834121|3866843 said:
In daylight, it looks just like the vendor pictures below. It glows, and is unmistakably RED. Indoors, under fluorescent lighting, it dies and becomes extremely dark...

Don't worry about it under fluorescents, it is not the stone, it is the light! Fluorescents will make rubies look purplish, but it will look fantastic under warm lights like you already noticed in daylight, also under incandescents, which is how they usually display them at gem shows (on yellow backgrounds no less!) Just like everyone else said, jewelry lighting is optimized for the metal and diamonds, not color.

So...it is Friday...do you have it yet?

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

Hehe, nope, I don't have it yet! I'm in the Pacific time zone, and going to pick it up after work. Had I known it would get there so early (8:30 am!) I might have gotten myself out of bed earlier to pick it up before work. Thanks everyone for the kind words on the stone and setting. I'll definitely post handshots, even if they are from my cell phone camera. Good thing we have some incandescent lights in the dining room. :)

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

I got it!
img_20150424_184439.jpg

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

Took some quick hand shots in the FedEx parking lot. Off to buy flowers tomorrow!
img_20150424_184615.jpg
img_20150424_184553-001.jpgimg_20150424_184622.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous ring Urseberry! Classic and elegant. :appl:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Stunning! It looks beautiful on you! :appl:

bling_prism

Rough_Rock

That ruby looks wayyyy better than it does in the glamour shots! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous ruby and ring!!! The colour is amazing. The ring looks absolutely elegant on you. As expected the colour looks so much better compared to the glamour shots.
Enjoy wearing this beauty. It's so special to own a ruby!!! I can only dream of one so I enjoy admiring yours :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SO pretty!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colour is so much better IRL than the BG pics, congrats!!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I love it! Beautiful! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Great ring!

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beautiful! I knew it would be better in person!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty ring and pretty hands!

ringmaven

Rough_Rock

Wow, I freakin' love it! That stone! Those claws! Gorgeous :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results