shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst: To Keep or Not To Keep

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
I have in my possession an amethyst that piqued my interest. Please don't ask for pictures -- I am terrible at pictures. OK, one vendor picture. I am trying to decide whether to keep it. I've also added a picture of a stone to which I was attracted earlier -- but I have not requested to see it in person, because it just too big -- but would appreciate comments on whether that stone might have the same issues as the stone I have.

What puzzles me is that the stone I have does pretty well in low light, but goes almost black in direct sunlight. Is this a common behavior for amethyst? I thought it was the other way 'round -- better in full sun, not artificial. It also might be because I'm observing it in the box. I have learned that stones perform better in a good setting than in their boxes.

Cons:

The stone seems just a hair too dark.
It does go almost black in some highly lit situations, although if one moves the stone and angles it differently, it catches light and looks fine.

Pros:

The stone has a lovely velvety purple appearance.
Does well in low light.
Has purple/magenta flashes in artificial light.
Adds some blue in daylight.
Right size for me.
Right shape for me.

I've read through a lot of the PS threads on amethyst -- but could use some direct experience on when amethysts go black and if they ever should.

Thank you.

il_164.jpg

amethystsqemcutcb10_18ct_8702.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a good amethyst should not black out in sunlight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some amethyst get overly dark, some are too light and some are just right. You have to decide where the line is for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results