carat
color
clarity

Am I nuts? Unusual ring design....

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

For those following the long run saga of my red spinel. I was completely set upon a 3 or 5 stone classic design but in the end just couldn't go through with it! Hubby has made it clear that this was my replacement for my beloved ruby e-ring that was lost years ago and its certainly the most expensive stone I've ever owned so I feel REALLY responsible for getting this PERFECT! :errrr:

I love art deco designs and just want something nice, different, unusual :lol: Something that is very me.

The stone is a sort of elongated cushion, not quite emerald shape. I want to set it in a clipped-corner emerald halo (white gold?) with ...wait for it... moonstone accents! See my delightfully inept drawing below to explain. The halo will have small melee diamonds - of which i already have a stash I can use from some rings I never wear. The clear moonstones (not overly blue) will be the link to the band (yellow gold).

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Will this look hidious? I love it in my mind - it combines two of my favourite stones AND its vintage themed.

ring_79.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baby moonstones which i just love, also add texture to the ring.

file0010.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1374106731|3485099 said:
The red spinel itself....
Your stone is delicious! Are moonstones okay to wear regularly? Can they be cleaned the same way? For some reason I am thinking they require a bit more care then the spinel or diamond and might change the way you wear your ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....some photoshop magic will be very helpful here. Although moonstones are not everyday wear stones, they can be polished to a smooth finish again. My concern is trying to combine too many elements together into one. Diamond melees go with everything so that isn't the issue. In the moonstone ring example, the moonstone is the star and the diamonds are merely accents. In your dream idea, the spinel remains the star, the diamonds accent it, then out of nowhere the moonstones jump in from left field! I've been proven wrong at least once that a specific colour and shape combo CAN work well together (MimB's ring) so maybe I'm wrong here too. 8)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous spinel!

I would be tempted to do rose cut diamonds in lieu of moonstones. It would be durable, Art Deco, and provide an interesting textural contrast. And then commission a killer moonstone eternity band to pair with it.

It reminds me of my favorite Victor Canera ring:

http://www.victorcanera.com/the-lynn-art-deco-halo

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono & Cokitty - I guess I too worry about the "reality" of the design. I've seen this sort of thing done with rose cuts and thought I could take it one step further with a cabochon. Kinda like Leon's below...

Alternatively I've found some delightful white Topaz rose cuts here: http://www.joopygems.com/categories/Topaz-%2d-White/ in different shapes & sizes which could work too?

It would be an occassional wear ring - a RHR not for every day so I'm not too worried about wear & tear issues.

r4255_stock_1-0405_0018_0.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom beat me to it! Rosecuts could be the right alternative... Looks at these beauties below.

3mmroseround0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, rose cuts seem more fitting!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess I really just don't want a standard halo effect - I like the mish mash of different stones & textures hence the additon of cabs... I think that's what I love about Art Deco stuff - they went wild! :naughty:

Ugh I wish I could photoshop this stuff. :(sad I already have 2 moonstones so will put them together tonight & try to get some photos for you to see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason the Paraiba cabochons work is that they have strong colouration and stand out. With whitish moonstones, I'm worried they will get lost in the halo sparkles and dull next to the strong spinel. VL does great photoshopping and I know others have helped in the past as well.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! My own spinel design features moonstones and old cut diamonds. I love that moonstones are making a comeback.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the moonstone idea, specially since they are whiter and not blue (which would clash with the orangey red of the spinel). It will be unusual and interesting. My only concern would be getting the proportions just right - if the moonstones aren't quite small (tiny!), it will look clunky.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going totally the opposite direction - a halo of all round very small white moonstones, sort of the same way seed pearls were once used as halo stones.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are not crazy.
I don't like wearing jewelry that i'm going to see on someone else.
I think it might take some time but that you will have a "signature piece" when you finally commit to a design.
can't wait to see pictures!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so here is a quick mock up with my two existing moonstones. They have a blue sheen & too big too so obviously wouldn't use these specific ones BUT I have ordered a bunch of lovely teeny 3mm rosecut moonstones & white Topaz so I can experiment with my spinel. :naughty:

EDIT: sorry dunno why pic is sideways!?

_8057.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh....rosecut moonstones would be perfect! I noticed that when I try to attach pictures from my phone, the picture ends up sideways too.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous--I really love the combo. I had no idea how much I'd like the blue sheen paired with the red spinel.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
At first I thought, "mmmm" to the idea, but seeing those -- yeah, I like it. It's eye-catching -- the mix of textures is really nice. Rose cut, cool. Not sure what the addition of diamonds would do to the picture, though. Probably look a lot better than I think it would!

--- Laurie

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of rose cut moonstones!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about something like this, in yellow gold but obviously moonstones and that lovely spinel (which i totally wanted)

9f97f1f20f77c50623a78ff4b57cb619.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Niel - where did you find that?! It's amazing (I love opals too), what a design! :-o I think I can definitely draw from that...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was on some girls pinterest. No idea where it came from, though the photos almost look like Lang antiques.
Whatever you do can't wait to see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results