shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite Ring Professional Advice?

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I am looking to buy an Alexandrite engagement ring and I found the one I like on ebay. I think it's beautiful. and I was doing some reserach on Alexandrite, and it got me curious. It''s from a reputable seller but not many reviews, but I''m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this Alexandrite ring. According to the seller, it is natural mined Alexandrite from Russia. I heard the Russian Alexandrite are more rare and valuable than Brazilian and Sri Lanka Alexandrite. The ring is GIA certified, but it does not show origin of the Alexandrite. I heard the Russian Alexandrites are green colored and this one is green as seen on the picture below:
Please advise is it a good deal to bid on this Alexandrite ring and how much the value of this ring is if the stone is real Russian Alexandrite
Thank you for your help

Here are the pictures and link with the GIA certificates as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221480101914

Estate 2.05 ct GIA Certified UNTREATED Natural Alexandrite Diamond 14k Gold Ring
$18,000 ESTATE - BEYOND RARE One-Of-A-Kind" EXOTIC Ring

_19647.jpg

l4.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Alexandrite is a rare gemstone added that the Russian origin is even rarer if not extinct so to speak. Speak to LD
but before asking the questions, read through the forum :read: , this one by LD would really help and always exercise caution when dealing with ebay vendors or any vendors for that matter.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-really-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/[/URL]

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I could swear this exact ring came up here once before. I looked but couldn't find the thread. The general consensus about it was that it is extremely unlikely to be a Russian alexandrite as those are virtually nonexistent in the market. Also, there is no reason for a seller to sell a 18k ring for less than half of that. I'd be very suspicious. If you're really considering buying it you definitely should to request a report from a reputable lab (I'd prefer AGL because GIA have made mistakes in the past when grading alexandrite -- just in case) WITH origin indicated otherwise you have no way of knowing if it's Russian.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1404119311|3703651 said:
I could swear this exact ring came up here once before. I looked but couldn't find the thread. The general consensus about it was that it is extremely unlikely to be a Russian alexandrite as those are virtually nonexistent in the market. Also, there is no reason for a seller to sell a 18k ring for less than half of that. I'd be very suspicious. If you're really considering buying it you definitely should to request a report from a reputable lab (I'd prefer AGL because GIA have made mistakes in the past when grading alexandrite -- just in case) WITH origin indicated otherwise you have no way of knowing if it's Russian.

Agreed! I looked for it too but could not find it either, but I know this exact same ring came up.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a GIA report that does pull on GIA's site, confirming natural alexandrite; however, 1) report does not confirm origin as Russia as seller is listing it as; and 2) GIA famously mis-ID'd a natural Alex that was actually not natural but in fact a lab or simulant.

Tread very carefully, OP.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1404127781|3703676 said:
It has a GIA report that does pull on GIA's site, confirming natural alexandrite; however, 1) report does not confirm origin as Russia as seller is listing it as; and 2) GIA famously mis-ID'd a natural Alex that was actually not natural but in fact a lab or simulant.

Tread very carefully, OP.

I also noticed that the GIA report doesn't show up on the GIA website. In any case it should really be sent again with a request for origin -- and I'd rather send it to AGL for the reason you mentioned. The Alex in question doesn't look like a typical simulant but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted in the other thread about this ring so I went to search for it. I think its been deleted

Anyways I would not buy this ring. I do not think its Russian and the setting seems poorly made.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not buy without a good shot of the stone. All the photos show it tilted or off center.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Its now on e bay as an auction listing, several more pics with a face on shot. The seller only has 33 feedback sales to his/her name, based in the US.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
@gemvalue

" I heard the Russian Alexandrites are green colored and this one is green as seen on the picture below:"

----------

Hello,

we talked a lot about alexandrite here - a fascinating gem! But please understand that not every russian alexandrite has a high quality.
You will find excellent and very low alexandrite in Russia. The same in Brazil, Tanzania and Sri Lanka.

Try to get "Russian Alexandrite" from Dr. Karl Schmetzer! It is in english - the best book on Alexandrite I know.
If you google "schmetzer" and "alexandrite" you will find enough interesting articles about this gem.

In my opinion it is no russian alex. Maybe India or Tanzania ( course of the size) .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the color change full, or partial?

Green to purple gray doesn't sound very pleasing, and both color ways look kind of muddy in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of alexandrite though, except for the finest qualities, and I think everything else is overpriced due to the marketing and hype of this gemstone. I personally rather get a nice green, or a nice purple gem. The color change isn't that impressive to me on most of these gems.

Don't pay extra for origin either, especially on mediocre stones, and especially on those WITHOUT an origin report from a major and highly respected lab.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How strong/dramatic of a colour change are you looking for?
How pure and saturated of the 2 end colours are you looking for?

It's interesting that all the pictures are of the greener side, which is the nicer looking side of this particular alexandrite, with zero pictures of the purple side, which per the GIA lab report, has gray listed as the primary hue.

Setting wise, since you mentioned this is for an e-ring, just wanted to make sure you are aware that the shank isn't solid but hollowed out, hence it probably isn't as durable as one might initially think it is.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is NOT a Russian Alexandrite ring. Absolutely 100% certain of that. If it were, it would most definitely have an origin report and would never have been sent to GIA.

In fact, this is very similar to rings made by David Weinberg from his Multicolour inventory. The photos look incredibly similar to his and I suspect (although don't know for certain) that this ring was originally purchased from him). As Marlow has suggested, the colour suggests this is an Indian alex.

Please also note this gem is under 1ct and the colour change is not good. It is NOT worth the reserve or the Buy it Now price.

If you want to compare prices, see David's jewellery store:

http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/list/181/10/0

EDIT: I've just noticed that the GIA report doesn't actually say the accent stones are diamonds - it simply says single cuts. I've not seen this on a GIA report before so it could be standard but does look a bit sloppy.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure it is not Russian! My personal opinion.

The same with one vendor ( star....) who offers alexandrite with "russian" orign - green with almost no change. Typical Orissa green chrysoberyl.

A trusted vendor is Multicolorgems - they offer a lot but NO russian alexandrite - course the few stone available in the market stay in Russia or are on a wish list of many vendors.

The stone is EY and large - I think this lab got the orign from the vendor. If it has a good CC such a stone with russian would be incredible rare - the Russian pay a lot of money for top gem from Russia! They would not export such a stone - and you won't get one on Ebay.

I would be possible to check whether russian or not - again "Russian Alexandrite" Dr. Karl Schmetzer.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is highly suspect. I would phone IGL and ask them how they tested for origin.

Sorry but I don't believe it and this now throws the whole thing into question.

The seller has a very very very low feedback score and whilst they could be genuine, there are far too many red flags here for me to risk my money on this (or suggest anybody else does). I would rather buy a ring from David Weinberg and know, with absolute certainty what I'm getting.

EDIT: I have just sent an email to IGL asking what tests they ran to confirm the origin as Russia and I've also emailed David asking whether this is a ring he made.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang on a minute! So, this is the original listing and the ring "sold" apparently on 9 July for $3,050. Carat weight of the Alex was listed at 0.92ct and overall 2.05ct. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-2-05-ct-GIA-Certified-UNTREATED-Natural-Alexandrite-Diamond-14k-Gold-Ring-/221480101914?nma=true&si=jeq5xrWug1WL9klc0IcFppSU8gU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

THEN ............... bearing in mind the above ring "sold"

Currently on Ebay the same photos but this time the total carat weight is 2.30ct and the Alex has grown to 1.12ct (valuation is also higher) BUT the GIA report number on the stone is the same and with the same dimensions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221558833858

HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY SUSPECT!

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
LD, as far I can see the GIA certificates shows different serial numbers,different dates and different sizes of the center alexandrite stones, the model however looks the same, but looks like these are 2 different rings

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemvalue|1411731919|3757254 said:
LD, as far I can see the GIA certificates shows different serial numbers,different dates and different sizes of the center alexandrite stones, the model however looks the same, but looks like these are 2 different rings

lol - yes have just realised that also BUT the photos are of the same ring aren't they? They've both got a claw that is up in the air. The photos in the first link are not over-exposed but the second set are but look like exactly the same ring.

There's absolutely NO WAY that this seller would have 2 rings with Russian Alex. Most experts on Alex haven't even seen Russian Alex! lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemvalue|1411709179|3757205 said:
Acording to the IGL Report it's a Russian Alexexandrite Ring: "origin: RUSSIA URAL MOUNTAINS" attached image

reference to confirm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221558833858

Even if the stone was Russian, that alone doesn't make it valuable. Poor quality alexandrite stones can be found there as well. If it's Russian AND a high quality stone, then the origin counts.

Ebay is probably one of the last places I would buy an alexandrite. After a quick look, nothing but highly suspect stones, or overpriced ones with terrible color change. One thing I've noticed about alexandrite is that while the green can often be pretty, the color shift to red/purple, is often terrible and muddy. In that case, I probably would rather it stay green all the time, and then what is the point of having an alexandrite???? :doh:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1411739134|3757298 said:
Acording to the IGL Report it's a Russian Alexexandrite Ring: "origin: RUSSIA URAL MOUNTAINS" attached image

Even if the stone was Russian, that alone doesn't make it valuable. Poor quality alexandrite stones can be found there as well. If it's Russian AND a high quality stone, then the origin counts.
This.

The whole thing of duplicate rings with Russian alex looks and sounds very suspicious.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1411739134|3757298 said:

Ebay is probably one of the last places I would buy an alexandrite. After a quick look, nothing but highly suspect stones, or overpriced ones with terrible color change. One thing I've noticed about alexandrite is that while the green can often be pretty, the color shift to red/purple, is often terrible and muddy. In that case, I probably would rather it stay green all the time, and then what is the point of having an alexandrite???? :doh:

TL I've noticed you say this before but I don't understand it?????? I've not seen a muddy Alex. I've seen ones that turn orangey brown (yuck) but not muddy. The closest to muddy I've seen is where there's silk and so the gem can look cloudy but I'm sure that's not what you mean?????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, I think your definition of "muddy" is just different than mine perhaps??? For example, I consider orangy brown to be "muddy."

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I think TL may have picked up muddy from me and I use it differently again. Not to describe a brown colour but where the change is - ummm... neither fish nor fowl - i.e. muddy as in can't be seen clearly. Maybe murky if you will.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1411743672|3757343 said:
I think TL may have picked up muddy from me and I use it differently again. Not to describe a brown colour but where the change is - ummm... neither fish nor fowl - i.e. muddy as in can't be seen clearly. Maybe murky if you will.

Sometimes people refer to "muddy" when it comes to transparency as well as color, but I just liken it to "earthy colors" with a definite brown color to them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaah ok - I think my definition of muddy is brown and not able to see through it (ie mud)! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results