shape
carat
color
clarity

AIGS Gem Brief

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Does the AIGS Gem Brief state if a stone is treated in addition to identifying the stone? I looked on their website, and it says it does this, but I just want to check. For example, if I submit a spinel, will it state that it is treated if it has been oiled?

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't trust them for ruby/sapphire (corundum), or emerald.

With spinel, you should be okay.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1420953693|3814805 said:
TL|1420927329|3814674 said:
I just don't trust them for ruby/sapphire (corundum), or emerald.

With spinel, you should be okay.

The AGL is consider by most dealers & major collectors, as the final word on colored gemstones, especially corundum & emerald. They are the GIA of colored gemstones, but with that said, many dealers & collectors would prefer Gublen, AIGS, & GRS, over the GIA for colored gemstones. I use two, AGL & AIGS.

I'm not truly confident in AIGS for corundum due to my past dealings with them, and their inability to test for diffusion in all cases. I heard they recently obtained an LIBS, but I don't know if it's in use.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
TL|1420956343|3814814 said:
I'm not truly confident in AIGS for corundum due to my past dealings with them, and their inability to test for diffusion in all cases. I heard they recently obtained an LIBS, but I don't know if it's in use.

I do have an AIGS gem brief for a sapphire that states "LIBS Tested" if that helps confirm that they were using LIBS to test for diffusion at least since June 2013 (the date on the card).

ETA: to confirm for the OP, the AIGS briefs that I have do indicate treatment ("No indication of heat process" or "Heated, LIBS Tested").

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Elvis. I am a AGL person for colored stones. I've never used AIGS, but I am about to.

Carmen, thanks for telling us about your experience. There was a thread here about 2 or 3 years ago that AIGS had acquired a LIBS machine, and it's good to hear confirmation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carmen1|1420960979|3814827 said:
TL|1420956343|3814814 said:

I do have an AIGS gem brief for a sapphire that states "LIBS Tested" if that helps confirm that they were using LIBS to test for diffusion at least since June 2013 (the date on the card).

ETA: to confirm for the OP, the AIGS briefs that I have do indicate treatment ("No indication of heat process" or "Heated, LIBS Tested").

You have to make sure they do use an LIBS if you need to use one. I don't know if its always available for them, or it's sometimes broken (????). With me, I had a lengthy email conversaion with them, and they skirted the question about additional treatment when they said it was heated. I had to then sent the stone to AGL as a result, and they tested with an LA-ICP-MS. Just make sure they have an LIBS right now, and that it's functioning.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1421000083|3814918 said:
The great thing about the AIGS, is it is smack dab in the middle of the largest colored gemstone distributing country in the world, Thailand, which 80% of the worlds colored gemstones at one time or another, pass through there. It is the gemstone crossroads of the world. Some famous gemologist have graduated there, Frenchmen Vincent Pardieu, who went on to the Gublen, then the Thailand GIA, is very respected world wide. Richard Hughes of Pala, or I should say, used to be with Pala, is a great supporter of AIGS, & why not? They probably see more colored gemstones than the next two labs combined. Their very reasonably priced, & convenient, if your buying stones in Thailand. :)

I think they're one of the best labs in Thailand, and very reasonably priced. I just have my reservations when it comes to corundum due to my own personal experiences with them. I have several AIGS reports, many for spinels. I heard through the grapevine that their LIBS isn't always working or available, so just proceed with caution if anyone does plan on using them for corundum, that's all I'm saying. I'm also not aware if they're able to test emeralds for irradiation either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results