shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahem... I finally post pictures

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not very good at taking gem pictures, so I always put off posting pictures of my pretties. Well, this afternoon I decided it was time to catch up on my PS picture debt. I spent quite a while taking pictures in the late afternoon of an overcast day. These will also go on my gem inventory (Access database with all available data). Of course, I am nowhere near done picture taking, but I will post more as I go along.

So, first off and in no particular order, an amethyst, around 2.5 carats and a little light silk, which pretty much eliminates extinction.

ldps_amethyst.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another picture. This was from a gem shop, with a healthy markup
5.gif
but it saved me several hours of looking through badly cut, badly coloured stones to find a nice one.

psld_amethyst2.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is one of my favourite pink tourmalines: it is very saturated pink, with just a tinge of lavander in some lights. It is a native cut with no window, but something of a bowtie. The bowtie is actually a reflection of the person viewing the gem, which can be interesting. 10mm by 6mm. I am unsure of the carat weight and my current scale is only good for 0.5cts increments (not a gem scale!).

ldps_favpinktourm1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another picture of the same tourmaline.

psld_favouritepinktourm2.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
That design is so modern and sleek, very very cool
36.gif
Can''t wait to see what you do with your custom cut sleepy spinel ;-) BTW what kind of metal is the stone set in?

Date: 7/26/2009 6:13:18 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
5.gif
but it saved me several hours of looking through badly cut, badly coloured stones to find a nice one.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a bicolour tourmaline: light green on one end, yellow-peach on the other. It is not very saturated (but better than the picture) and slightly included (in bright light, there are 2 small internal fractures), as well as rather windowed. But I had never seen a bicolour with these colours, so I got it
2.gif

psld_bicolour.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And a greenish-blue tourmaline from Dan Stair. 1.78 cts, 7.5mm. This was a Diamond Bistro find, from a fellow PS (who was astounded at how quickly I decided that this was the stone I wanted - but I just knew!)

psld_bluegreentourm.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Indicolite tourmaline, just under a carat. Native cut.

PSLD_Indi.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is an interesting stone. It is a light blue and looks like an aqua (but without the yucky grey that is all over the picture - it is a very nice baby blue). However, it simply lights up in indirect light: a light blue cuprian! It is not a neon turquoise stone that would make the cover of a gem magazine and it is certainly not the stone for a purist but I like it very much. No window at all and very, very sparkly.

psld_lightbluecuprian.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps this picture is slightly better... I can''t take a good picture of this at all. I swear it looks great!

psld_lightbluecuprian2.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bright, minty tourmaline (not a garnet!). Over a carat, native cut

PSLD_Minty.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yuck! I hate pictures of my hands. Why does finger hair show up so neatly?

Next up, a princess cut Burma red spinel. 0.9cts, originally from Barbara at ACStones, acquired in the secondary market
2.gif
In real life, it is a very nice red, not pink at all like the picture.

psld_redspinel.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some rhodocrosite. This is Brazilian material, found in a very small pocket by Vale, a mining company. One of my dealers managed to buy part of the lot and tis was some of the nicest (the large jewellers and designers snapped up the best). There was plenty of larger cabs, but they were included, fractured or unevenly coloured. This one is around 1.5 cts, translucent and clean. It has 4 smaller marquise pals to keep it company.

psLD_Rhodo.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another of the rhodocrosite. A pity it is so soft. Even though it is a cab and, therefore, more resistent, I couldn''t use it on a ring. So a pendant and earrings some day.

psLD_Rhodo2.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 3ct Leliondo Spess. It is a brownish orange and, therefore, not the showcase example, but I have odd tastes.

PSLD_Spess1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some smaller, yellow spess... The smaller stones are bright and not brownish.

psld_spess3.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A Richard Homer pink tourmaline, who refuses to photograph properly.

ETA - Ooops, wrong picture!

psld_RHpinktourm1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Richard Homer tourmaline. In the background, the light blue cuprian, looking better than in the close up (go figure)

psld_RHpinktourm.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another Leliondo Spess. The rough was sourced by Tim Spawe and it was precision facetted by his lovely girlfriend Bea in Jeff Graham''s Octogonal Lace. The picture doesn''t really show the facet pattern, which is very pretty, or the small, high table.

Coming clean: there is a black inclusion just under the table.

psld_TSspess.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3.1 cts sphelaerite. Lovely colour, great sparkle and too soft... no stone is perfect, *sigh*

psld_Sphele.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, that was the last of the pictures from this picture session. However, there is plenty more to photograph. Here is a picture of the whole gang!

psld_thewholegang.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/26/2009 6:22:08 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
That design is so modern and sleek, very very cool
36.gif
Can''t wait to see what you do with your custom cut sleepy spinel ;-) BTW what kind of metal is the stone set in?

Date: 7/26/2009 6:13:18 PM
5.gif
Thanks! The pendant is silver. The stone isn''t actually set in the traditional sense, but instead, it slides into a channel in the metal. The satin ribbon then blocks the channel, so the stone can''t fall out. I have a citrine, a white beryl and a pink tourmaline that can be substituted.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 6:27:22 PM
And a greenish-blue tourmaline from Dan Stair. 1.78 cts, 7.5mm. This was a Diamond Bistro find, from a fellow PS (who was astounded at how quickly I decided that this was the stone I wanted - but I just knew!)
omg, you''re on PS!! i had no idea! :)

do you like it? what are you going to do with it?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/26/2009 7:17:07 PM
Author: karee888

Date: 7/26/2009 6:27:22 PM
omg, you''re on PS!! i had no idea! :)

do you like it? what are you going to do with it?
Hi! I forget I use different IDs in different places...

I love, love, love it! I am unsure what I am going to do with it, actually. I am thinking about a ring, but I haven''t found a setting I love yet...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One more picture: a 0.5ct Winza ruby set in a fused fine silver ring. The fine silver (0.999 silver) is very, very white, which gives the ring a very characteristic colour. Since it is pretty heavy and very textured, it stands up well, even though the fine silver is soft.

The ruby is also redder than shown. Somehow, all my red gems turn out pink in my pictures.

psld_setruby.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 6:50:09 PM
A 3ct Leliondo Spess. It is a brownish orange and, therefore, not the showcase example, but I have odd tastes.
I think it''s reddish orange, not brownish orange. It''s also very lovely.

Wow, I had no idea you had so many gemstones Lady D. Quite impressive collection!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous collection. Wow. And, thanks for the eye candy!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results