shape
carat
color
clarity

advise, please

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you, please, help me find the stone for my sapphire. Actually, I want a ring.
The size of the sapphire is 8.21 x 6.27 x 5.8
I have several round spessartines from GemSelect but they do not totally match either size, or color-wise.
My favorite one is unique and I can use it for a pendant. No other stone totally matches it, either color or size is wrong.
For some reason I can not upload the pics today but the size is 5.6 x 4.26.
This is how the colors really look like. Other non-blurry pictures are too dark but I wanted you to get an idea.

how it look.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Crasru have you tried Bob Kast? I saw some of his spess on another site. You can ask him to cut you a matching pair? Wow the sapphire is gorgeous by the way.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically, same size but slightly different colors

difsize111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have more options...

Two stones, 5.6 x 4. 26 and 5.15 x 3.84 look different in size - I wonder if it has to do with the depth of the smaller stone?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two Lloliondos on the sides... they are not round and may be slightly larger than intended

smallllolonside111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have larger Lloliondos... the size of the sapphire... it will take some imagination, but I could think of something...

equalllol222.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A small trilliant-cut LLoliondo - I could make a pendant, and it may look nice, but one of PS-ers had a problem with setting a similar Lloliondo ... still an idea

pend222.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LG, I wanted to call Bob, but he mentioned in his ad that his stones were slightly "brownish", and I do not know whether they are as brownish as any other spessartite would be, or more so. I wish someone who bought spessartites from him would chime in, because if the stones are good, I'd actually, would like have two small orange trapezoids on the sides of the sapphire. I have not spoken to him yet.

Another idea - would 8.21 x 6.27 fit a standard 8 x 6 oval setting? I could order one with yellow treated diamonds melee around the stone. Truth to be told, I never saw yellow irradiated diamonds melee and do not know how it would look around my stone. Also, I do not know if the ring would fit in a standard setting.

Advises? Spessartite melee does not work - the color is too light.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Loving those colors...if you have a ring in mind, I suggest holding out for what you want.

Laura

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, these trapezoids look great, I just do not know how to read the measurements. They do not seem to be quite symmetric, but perhaps it is fine for the diamonds? Will the lack of symmetry be noticeable in the setting? How would these measurements bode with the length of the stone, 8.21 mm? I have no experience in FCD, but I hope PS-ers will help me out.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1295838394|2831056 said:
Actually, these trapezoids look great, I just do not know how to read the measurements. They do not seem to be quite symmetric, but perhaps it is fine for the diamonds? Will the lack of symmetry be noticeable in the setting? How would these measurements bode with the length of the stone, 8.21 mm? I have no experience in FCD, but I hope PS-ers will help me out.

I'm glad you like them, I had them on my wish list for a while. I think the measurements are 2.69x3.40x1.68 & 2.69x3.44x1.80. I guess, 1.68 and 1.80 is depth. Hope someone with good aesthetics will chime in regarding proportions.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
crasru|1295833354|2830963 said:
A small trilliant-cut LLoliondo - I could make a pendant, and it may look nice, but one of PS-ers had a problem with setting a similar Lloliondo ... still an idea

How about this combo as a ring? I think it would make a nice ring also.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
I rather like the yellowish orange colour of the Loliondos with your sapphire. Even a pair of rounds will be fine if you set the oval sapphire N/S in orientation.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone crasu!

I think you have some great options there! Looking forward to what you do with it all.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE :love: :love: the colors of the more orangey stones with the saph - by the way, I love the color of the saph; would you share where you got it? I like the idea of smaller tapering side stones, unless you have ginormous fingers (which you don't). The pear shaped loliondos are gorgeous, but I wonder if they aren't a bit too big...have you tried resting them on your finger to see what they'd look like?

whoops, make that ovals...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Killer sapphire Crasru. Seriously stunning.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK the sapphire was bought from Gary Braun. It was on his website, unheated, with some silk in it. I sent it to AGL to confirm lack of treatment, since PS members advised me to do it with all corundum I buy, and I think it is a good idea.

I made a mistake, and it was my idea, not Gary's. He said the stone was good as it was, with some extinction. I wanted to recut it to get rid of any. He offered just to clean the facets, I said, no, recut the crown, too. Now I have a stone with minimal extinction but I had to pay for the recut and lost weight. Plus, it used to be round. But the color is so fantastic it really doesn't matter. And dark as it is, there is almost no extinction.

Now having looked at it, I understood that I need bright orange side stones that are clean and very well cut. Trillions or trapezoids would work great. Or Namibians that are not too red, more bright pure orange. And clean. Almost impossible task! So I am hunting for very fanta, very good stones from a good cutter. I shall keep you abreast, and if anyone comes across a Lloliondo (two) that is extremely well-cut, give me a holler, please.

The stones that I have are nice, but may not be a match for this one. I shall use them for other projects, I have another Tanzanite featured in one of my earlier postings, which is purple. Or a very nice and well-cut amethyst from Rick Martin which would work well with bright-orange or yellow round stones on four sides, like posters on a bed (it is a square cushion). Or any other blue or violet-purple stone.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
crasru...I am with you strongly on your color choices (notice my bird has blue and gold though you cannot see the bright blue of his back...). I really think you should hold out for stones that are what you are looking for in terms of color. Have you talked to Dana yet? I almost hate to send you there, because I want some like that too! I found a pair of nice ovals at a local gem show last year. In talking to Dana about shape options myself, most of the rough lends itself to ovals, so that is why you see so many of them.

Others I've seen with decent spess in the past months include Peter Torraca, and I think that Gary Braun had one or two nice stones. I purchased a "buff top" spess from an ebay auction from Dan Stair that is nice and bright, but don't know if he has more rough. Since Tucson is rapidly approaching, if you can find a vendor attending and give them a budget for what you are looking for, perhaps they can source some stones and/or rough for you.

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say, I love the combination of orange and blue, and that is a gorgeous sapphire!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - I can't help with the search I'm afraid but just wanted to say that the colours really work well together and the sapphire is gorgeous.

Have you considered turning the two spess ovals on their ends and then putting them next to the sapphire? So, in effect, 3 ovals side by side the same way? I think that would look lovely. It might also be possible to hide the slight difference in colour by setting the two side stones in yellow gold (which may radiate up through the side stones). It may not, but I think I'd give it a try.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Not to sidetrack your thread, but I couldn't resist posting an example of a nice blue and gold combination...Largo :wavey: I hope you stick to the bright golden yellow spess and find a great pair for your bright blue center stone. The long flight feathers on his wings are the rich blue color of your stone and I love it next to the golden yellow that frames his face and which is on his belly and the underside of his wings.

Laura

Largo  1347.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not see his tail, but I'd love to find a tourmaline of the color exactly like his back. To match my red Nigerian rubellite from Lisa. I saw many stones but either the cut or the hue were wrong.

But in general, LM, I agree with you. The sapphire is very pretty and deserves best side stones. There are some nice spessartites scattered here and there, but predictably, very few pairs. So I am still looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results