shape
carat
color
clarity

advice, please

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have explored many options of setting Gary Braun's color change garnet. It is round. 7 mm.

Nothing works. I am stuck. I came to a conclusion that I do not like any of the styles I have been posting here as potential settings for this stone. Just one of these cases. I agree with Chrono that it can not be bezeled. I also think that anything on the sides, anything that could prevent light from entering the garnet, would not work.

I have a (dark) chrome tourmaline ring. The setting is very nice, pave-set diamonds, looks pretty elegant. I bought the ring at an upscale B&M store when it was going out of business. I tried to measure the diameter with the caliper: it is more difficult since the stone is in the setting but I came up with 7.5 mm.

My garnet is 7 mm. Given the form of the ring, do you think it would fit in it? It is impossible to measure the depth of the stone in the ring but what do you think? I just ran out of ideas and finally decided that this one looks pretty nice especially since the form of this stone is round.

days 2-1 and 2-3 093.JPG

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, it should fit lower in the setting than the present stone. The downside is that it will sit so low that it will have the same effect on the stone as if it were bezeled. You might have someone remove the existing center and just lay your stone in their to see how low it would have to go and how it looks while sitting in there. That existing stone should just pop right out without problem,so nothing would get damaged.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your garnet is 7 mm and the current stone is 7.5 mm, your garnet will end up sitting lower within the setting and the effect will be almost the same as a bezel because it will be more enclosed.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Michael E., and Chrono. I shall ask the jeweler to pull the stone out and try to insert the garnet. If it sits lower, then I'm in for a search again...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results