shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please? Choosing which stones for eternity ring

abbyful

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am getting an eternity ring from ID Jewelry. It will be my wedding band, so I want it to hold up.

This is the ring, except in platinum and with different colored stones: http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_ ... ts_id=2470
They sent me price quotes for both green garnets and green sapphires.

I had originally thought I wanted tsavorite, but was told by a few people here on PriceScope that it's too soft for everyday wear especially with small baguettes.

Are green garnets hard enough for everyday wear? Or should I go with green sapphires? (Sapphires increase the ring price $200-$300)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Tsavorites are green garnets. I would want to see what they have (or can provide) for green sapphires since they're usually a more olive green than a bright green.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Green is a difficult color for a daily-wear wedding ring. I'm no expert but the only stone hard enough that I can think of is the sapphire & Kismet is right, they don't have the emerald-like green of a tsavorite. I can't think of any gem where you would get that in addition to the scratch, chip & crack resistance you need. Do any other colors appeal to you? The ring you've picked out is a lovely design.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tsavorite falls under the category of green grossular garnet, so no, a green garnet is not durable enough for everyday wear. I’m afraid your only option is green sapphires in this case. I also agree with the other posters that green sapphires are typically olive-y and less attractive in colour than tsavorite.

abbyful

Rough_Rock
Trade
She mentioned the sapphires would look the same as the garnets, so does that mean they are probably treated in some way to intensify the color?

Here's my inspriation photo I found online:
bands.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is the possibility; it is best to ask her if the sapphires have been treated and if so, what treatment they underwent.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone showed a set of small spinels. I think they were bought from The Gem Trader. They were round, though, but spinel is sturdy and beautiful. What with the newer treatments, sapphires are tricky stones.

I remember someone bought another set - small alexandrites - from Sally. Again, they were round but well-matched. And since the price of alexes goes up exponentially with size, it could be affordable, provided you like them. As to tsavorites, I do wear my green ring pretty often but apart from washing something, I do not do much housework. I think it all depends on the setting, this very setting may be protective.

abbyful

Rough_Rock
Trade
I got a reply back about the sapphires, she said they are natural stones and "color treated".

So I guess I have to decide if I want untreated stones that are less durable, or more durable stones that are treated.

I don't do much "work" with my jewelry on. I'm a computer programmer, so I just sit at a desk all day at work; and I take off my jewelry when I'm doing housework/gardening/etc at home.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did the vendor define what “colour treated” is? Are they heat only or diffused? If the former, heat treatment is permanent and widely accepted in the market. If the latter, it is unacceptable to me personally but these highly treated stones (diffusion) are very inexpensive and the end product is usually very attractive colour-wise. I have a garnet that is not an everyday wear ring (worn only to work and back with a desk job) and it has already a couple minor abrasions.

abbyful

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, I was pretty much sold on getting the sapphires, but the vendor sent me an email that she was mistaken and she can't get the ring in green sapphire, only green garnet... :cry:

I wonder if it's worth the damage risk?
Maybe I should give up and just go with an all-diamond ring? :| Or maybe regular blue sapphires would be okay, not what I had hoped for though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not go for color-enhanced sapphires because if they are Be-treated, the ring is expensive, not cheap. I do not know what the limit for your budget, but garnets still could be an option. I wear a lot of red garnets - granted, they are not as soft - but they don't even scratch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results