shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on buying this sapphire

Pooley

Rough_Rock
hi there,
new to the forum, be kind to me! This is my first attempt to buy a sapphire loose, I really like the paler, cornflower type blue sapphires and want to get this made up into a pendant. I don't wish to spend over £200 which I know is fairly limited. I was left a small amount in a will and would like this to go on a nicely coloured stone, sapphire perfect being my birthstone.

I've seen this stone, the colour looks lovely on the picture and it looks pretty clean.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1652357602

sorry i don't know how to put the picture on directly.

I've googled around and the supplier seems to have a good reputation round and about.

is there anything i should be aware of before going ahead? This purchase is purely sentimental

thank you for any comments you would care to share!

Caroline

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am going to state the obvious before someone else does - that has a huge window.

MC.com is a very reputable vendor.

Pooley

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL. As I say, I'm new to all this and want to learn a bit more, I've read about windowing, and the negative effect on the stone's colour and sparkle, but to be honest I'm not sure I can tell from the picture - can you tell me what makes it so obvious in this stone? It will help me when looking for others.

also, the link to the vendor takes me to an engineering company !

cheers,

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
By MC.com, TL meant multicolour.com :tongue:

As for windows. Its a dead area in the centre. An area you can see right through, and can't see the facets clearly. If you put text behind the stone, you'd be able to read through it. A window results in less light reflected back (less brilliance) and can affect the saturation of colour.

First pic shows a windowed vs well cut stone.
In the second I used my amazing editing skills to outline the window in the sapphire you have your eye on. :cheeky:

I'll look through some vendor's stuff later to see if I can find something worth mentioning

window-2-gem-blue-300x193.jpg

insta_pic_editor_1405408340622.jpg

Pooley

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice LoversKites, i'm open to shapes, i have a small diamond and am going to take both stones to a local jeweller who has made up some pieces for me in the past, probably nothing too fancy, really my eye is set on the colour of the stone being the main feature. I love the fancy cut diamond you've pointed out, will email. Unfortunately the other two links didnt bring up a sapphire. thanks for the info re windowing, its pretty obvious when pointed out, so thank you, i've certainly learned something very useful already!

as for colour, my biggest regret when i visited sri lanka 10 years ago is that i went for white sapphires, gutted i didn't buy an original ceylon sapphire of my lovely favoured blue, but there you go. you live and learn!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Pooley|1405450667|3713801 said:
thanks for the advice LoversKites, i'm open to shapes, i have a small diamond and am going to take both stones to a local jeweller who has made up some pieces for me in the past, probably nothing too fancy, really my eye is set on the colour of the stone being the main feature. I love the fancy cut diamond you've pointed out, will email. Unfortunately the other two links didnt bring up a sapphire. thanks for the info re windowing, its pretty obvious when pointed out, so thank you, i've certainly learned something very useful already!

as for colour, my biggest regret when i visited sri lanka 10 years ago is that i went for white sapphires, gutted i didn't buy an original ceylon sapphire of my lovely favoured blue, but there you go. you live and learn!

Oops!! Sorry about the messed up links :wacko: These are the ones I meant.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?2042722948
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1929647717

Glad to have helped regarding the windowing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think either of the last 2 that Lover's Kites linked would make a terrific pendant with your diamond. Especially the sort-of trapezoid-ish shape is unique, looks like nice color, and could be very interesting & pretty in a pendant. Both are heat-only for treatment, too, which is very good.

--- Laurie

alicet

Rough_Rock
Tone it down, the saturation is too high for the one in the pic. Otherwise it looks beautiful :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed; MC's pictures show a higher saturation than the actual stone in hand by 1 notch.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1405408890|3713517 said:
By MC.com, TL meant multicolour.com :tongue:

Yes, I did. :) Thank you for clarifying and the great explanation on windows.

Pooley

Rough_Rock
Well, I've had a few days thinking and gon for the fancy cut pic 1, it was talking to me! It's on it's way so now busy looking for a contemporary pendant setting. Very excited! Thanks for the help :D

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Pooley|1405663938|3715650 said:
Well, I've had a few days thinking and gon for the fancy cut pic 1, it was talking to me! It's on it's way so now busy looking for a contemporary pendant setting. Very excited! Thanks for the help :D

Please post pics when you get it :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one? I think it shows good promise.

b_ybs4438aj.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I missed this first time around and every stone in the links is gone! :lol:

Love the one Chrono posted though so very much hoping for an update *crossed fingers*

Pooley

Rough_Rock
So sorry for not updating earlier....here's the final article.....Sapphire purchased by legacy money from my beloved grandma, diamond recycled from a single earring, hubby paid for the setting....I love it!fullsizeoutput_1c4.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty color and such a nice way to remember your Grandmother, also great use of a single diamond earring. It's a lovely piece wear it in good health!

Coincidentally, I was studying pricing at multicolor last week and it seemed strange to see similar color and clarity gems of all kinds priced at x/ct but some with terrible windows and right next to it others with fine closed centers.
Can it be that some companies simply price by a certain formula for a certain variety and don't look at window or not?
Or perhaps they buy a parcel at y/ct and then sell all for y*0.5 from that parcel?
If so, one could get great bargains at MC and others, less experienced buyers, would get terrible see-through gems for the same rate?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results