shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for e-ring custom setting with peach sapphire

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers!

This is my first post and I have to say, before I start, that I've really enjoyed learning about colored gemstones and seeing what a great community this is!
I wanted to get some feedback on a custom e-ring design for myself since I'm a novice at all this.
I have narrowed it down to two designs and I'm so undecided but I'm hoping your thoughts can steer me in the right direction.
The center stone (which I have not yet purchased) will be a peachy champagne sapphire or spinel around 2ct. I have attached a few photos of some stones that have caught my eye just for their color alone.
Here are the options:

Option 1) A diamond halo setting with a flat reversed split shank in satin finish rose gold to be paired with eternity wedding bands front and back. I could not find an image that showed this but I have the image for the inspiration of this design (see below)
Reasons I love this: the stacked look, the simplicity, it is unique
Concerns: will it get damaged/scuffed up too easily? Will satin finished rose gold be good for this design aesthetically?

Option 2) A diamond halo setting with a thin shank with micro pave(?) see sketch below. Please note - the highlighted pink areas in the sketch are being considered for rose gold but it is optional so I am not dead set on doing that.
Reasons I love this: it is sweet and feminine and sure to sparkle

What are your opinions on these setting options for said stone?

peachsapphire.jpg

spinel_341.jpg

_34802.jpg

custom_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone first, then setting design. You could end up with a different cut or different dimensions when you fall hard for a stone unexpectedly. You can custom fit a setting to the stone but it is multiple times harder to find a stone to fit the setting.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Oh, bummer. I guess I was getting ahead of myself from the excitement. :bigsmile:

I'm not sure that I'm buying the stone independently as I haven't had much luck finding the color and price that I like yet. I'm pretty set on a 2ct antique cushion cut with a peachy to champagne color. I figured it would take awhile for that to happen so I decided to work on the overall design for a bit in the meantime. I do get what your're saying though.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Although I agree with Chrono about getting a stone first then a setting, I will say that I think the inverted split shank looks better to me with a larger stone than a 2 carat unless you make the v a whole lot smaller. And I guess I just don't care for that look for an ering. I would think I might tire of it and prefer it for a RHR. I like the halo style but with softer corners, or just a tiny micropave halo. And depending on the actual shade you choose will effect which color gold or platinum will look the best with it. Once you have your stone-it will all be much easier to put together. And welcome to the forum. :wavey:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When considering the use of rose gold keep in mind that it is quite a bit softer and less strong than white gold, (it's similar to platinum iridium alloy in that it's pretty soft). This means that it should be rather heavy if used in areas which will get some rough treatment or heavy loads. Halos are big and they can be easily caught on things which can tend to try to bend or twist the halo off of the band. If you use rose gold in the areas under the halo then it should be heavy and probably not have melee set into it. If you do go that way, make sure to be very careful not to lean on the ring inadvertently or otherwise put undue stress on it. I say this because anything can be built to look like a work of art, but not all works of art can take the abuse that many rings receive. If this will be for daily wear, make sure to ask the person building it about it's long term durability.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dknorris|1444338158|3936408 said:
I'm not sure that I'm buying the stone independently as I haven't had much luck finding the color and price that I like yet. I'm pretty set on a 2ct antique cushion cut with a peachy to champagne color. I figured it would take awhile for that to happen so I decided to work on the overall design for a bit in the meantime. I do get what your're saying though.

I am sorry to say you'd have even less luck trying to find a completed ring given your specifications. Given that you want an antique cushion cut, I'd say you'd probably need to commission a specially faceted stone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - have you seen this GemFix Montana Sapphire? From the color description it might be an option for you...

gemfix_-_sapphire_montana_508_a.jpg

Montana Sapphire Cushion "Rhapsody" Cut
Weight: 1.94cts
Measurements: 7.3x6.5mm, depth 4.9mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2950.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_508
Description: Extremely rare uniquely colored Montana sapphire! In daylight, pale silvery-yellow color, peach under incandescent light. Bright and flashy, excellent cut and clarity. Exceptional.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
No Pantone Match

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone!
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Marymm that is beautiful. I'm going to check out that listing right now!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Just chiming in to say I really like option 1. I actually have that pinned on my pinterest ring inspiration board :love: it is modem and unique. I do think it would look best with a large stone as pinkjewel mentioned.
I also have a soft spot for antique cushion cuts, good luck with your search for the perfect stone. I agree with others that you may want to commission a stone like that to be cut for you. You could try going through the vendor list and send out a slew of emails, see what you can find there.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
picante27 Yes, I love the antique cushion cuts but now that you guys mention it, I don't think I would like to have such a large stone for an e-ring on my tiny, tiny hands. I've started searching the vendor sites for the sapphire and will begin sending emails within the next few days. Also, the International Gem and Jewelry show will be here next weekend in Houston so I'm considering a visit to see if I can find something I like!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
dknorris|1444941152|3938651 said:
picante27 Yes, I love the antique cushion cuts but now that you guys mention it, I don't think I would like to have such a large stone for an e-ring on my tiny, tiny hands. I've started searching the vendor sites for the sapphire and will begin sending emails within the next few days. Also, the International Gem and Jewelry show will be here next weekend in Houston so I'm considering a visit to see if I can find something I like!

Is that show called Intergem? If so, there is a husband and wife team called Vance Gems that exhibits at some of the Intergem shows and I know they've had some lovely peach sapphires in the past. Vance Gems is on our approved vendor list, too.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
It is! I looked up the vendor list and they will be there. Thanks for the tip!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
oh, good!! I hope they have something pretty for you!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to thread jack, but I've heard good things about Vance Gems, but the eBay link for them doesn't work. Do they have a website, or do they only sell at shows? Thanks!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
no website- they do have a Facebook page, but I don't think they usually show gems on it. I did call them in the past, but I'm not sure if I still have their phone number. I believe they mainly sell at shows.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results