shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Acinom's colors

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Exciting ring in the works! Most of the tiny tzavorites I have seem are very bright green and glowy versus the olive green ones shown. My guess would have been that they would be a perfect match to the bright green in the peacock pictures. I wonder how tanzanite would contrast as a accent stone?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your views lovedogs, chrono, picante, apacherose, sparkliesluver, & aac2013 !
I am currently awaiting the reply of the designer. Still undecided, although I know I want to keep it within the blue green peacock colors.

chrono: thank you for suggesting the hauyne! For me that's completely out of the box, so I did not think about it myself. I have added it to the small request list for the designer. Hopefully a real life pic can be made.

lovedogs: I agree. It would be great to have a popping peacock color.

picante: good choice to decide on a pop of color for your beautiful setting.

apacherose: thank you for the suggestion on the metal color. It will either be platinum or yellow gold.

sparkliesluver: I hope a real life pic can be made. Based on the one pic, I feel the combo of the tsav and the zircon might not work. It would be great to see them in one pic.

aac2013: I feel tanzanite melee would look great, but I would love to keep it in the green blue peacock color range.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the peacock inspiration for this project! Cannot wait to see the finished ring!!!! :appl:

AJ

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another hauyne fan (as you probably know from my rings....although I love tsavs as well...depends on how bright you want the side stones to be).

The peacock color theme is right up my alley and I am excited to see the results!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for chiming in aussiejamie and lilmosun!

I just received a pic from the Green Lake designer. It took a little while as she is busy with the nearing Holiday season.
Her recommendation is to not use the topaz as it might look washed out when it gets dirty. Unfortunately Green Lake does not carry Hauyne. I learned that it is fairly soft though.

Please let me know what you think. The mid blue sapphire on top, the topaz in the middle and the emerald on top.
Platinum and gold settings are included in the collage (unfortunately not next to the stones...)
To my eyes the mid blue sapphire looks really dark in this pic? I love the peacock feel of the emerald.

_678.jpeg

_679.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if set hauynes sidestones would be any more susceptible than the main stone...but they are brittle and hard to set. But since they don't carry them, do they have any sapphires the color of your gorgeous blue sapphire ring? Hard to tell from the pictures but I like the emerald the best (although the sapphires might not be as dark IRL). A bright well saturated blue or green stone of medium/med-dark tone would look great for your peacock dream ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the emerald

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I missed a few posts but you may had already considered these already, teal blue Montana sapphires or same as picante blue diamonds?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thank you all for your replies lilmosun, Niel, Lovinggems, ElleW, Ricezo, picante & SapphireStyle. Thank you for your support and advice in my indecisiveness.

Lovinggems: picante's amazing sapphire has a different colouring. The light blue looks amazing with her center stone. For my stone it's needs to be a different color to make the stone pop in my opinion.

Thank you all for your votes! I am seriously tempted to choose YG although it's about my comfort zone.
When I first communicated however with the designer she said this about the difference between WG and platinum:

"I would absolutely say Platinum over white gold especially with a stone that is a little softer. Platinum is easier to set with and less risk of breaking during setting and for you wearing the piece.

Platinum also lasts MUCH longer than white gold. Platinum wears down and a very small rate of 20% in 80-90 years and 14k white gold wears at 50% in 20-30 years so you can expect some extensive repairs to white gold in the not too distant future."

Would the engraving/metal work hold better in platinum?

_692.jpeg

_693.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElleW|1446786515|3946220 said:
I'd do emeralds and yellow gold.
+1. Very easy call on this.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1446834763|3946348 said:
Wow! Thank you all for your replies lilmosun, Niel, Lovinggems, ElleW, Ricezo, picante & SapphireStyle. Thank you for your support and advice in my indecisiveness.

Lovinggems: picante's amazing sapphire has a different colouring. The light blue looks amazing with her center stone. For my stone it's needs to be a different color to make the stone pop in my opinion.

Thank you all for your votes! I am seriously tempted to choose YG although it's about my comfort zone.
When I first communicated however with the designer she said this about the difference between WG and platinum:

"I would absolutely say Platinum over white gold especially with a stone that is a little softer. Platinum is easier to set with and less risk of breaking during setting and for you wearing the piece.

Platinum also lasts MUCH longer than white gold. Platinum wears down and a very small rate of 20% in 80-90 years and 14k white gold wears at 50% in 20-30 years so you can expect some extensive repairs to white gold in the not too distant future."

Would the engraving/metal work hold better in platinum?

I think emerald also would look best here. Definitely it would pop more than the colors of sapphires they showed you. And also I think I'd go with platinum for the design, although I know you wear YG beautifully. I think the ring will have a longer life with platinum and it's harder and more sturdy. But of course I have no problem with white gold, since my e-ring, wedding band, etc are all in it. I've had no trouble and I wear them everywhere (even when I shouldn't like at the gym/shower/dishes, etc). I've had to get them replated once a year or year and a half, but its worth it to me and cheap ($50 or less). So I think all options would be beautiful in the end!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
another vote for emeralds and yellow gold- it seems more regal and peacock looking

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I vote for platinum, I like the patina on the metal and the feel of it.
It is so hard to find suitable accent stones but emeralds seems to be the best in your case.
The yellow and emerald combo sounds gorgeous, I have a green/blue stone that is set in yellow but I want it changed to white metal so I am bias in my vote.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all :wavey:
Thanks to your kind replies I have been able to make a preliminary decision on colouring and metal choice... I think :roll:
It will take a while before the stone will be set, so I will take my time before I make a final decision.

chrono: thank you!
lovedogs: thanks!
Thank you pinkjewel!
lovinggems: would love to see your blue/green stone in YG. Could you please post some pics here?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tsav_and_nambian.jpg

Lovingems may have a better match for your stone but a blue green tourmaline in 18k yellow gold (with no regtets).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1446864262|3946510 said:
tsav_and_nambian.jpg

Lovingems may have a better match for your stone but a blue green tourmaline in 18k yellow gold (with no regtets).

Blue-green and YG = a stunning match :love: :love:
Gorgeous rings Lilmosun and thanks for sharing

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom here you go, I think our stones are similar in colours?

2015-11-07_17.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! What a gorgeous ring Lovinggems. Thanks for posting.
I have not seen mine in real life yet, so it's hard to tell based on pics. Yours seems to be gorgeous indicolite blue with a hint of teal. Based on the pics mine has much more green. But our stones seems to have the same 'intensity'? It's great inspiration.
So you will set yours in platinum? I love the combo with YG, but in platinum it will be equally stunning.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Yes I think platinum, I want to see more blue. 8)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely get your concern of wear down of the design if done in gold. However, how often will you wear this? And won't you already be babying it due to the nature of the stones?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1446895918|3946564 said:
Yes I think platinum, I want to see more blue. 8)
Perhaps it's my screen but I already see an amazing blue :love: :love: :love:
Platinum is my favourite metal though and I know you will rock it in platinum.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1446896069|3946565 said:
I completely get your concern of wear down of the design if done in gold. However, how often will you wear this? And won't you already be babying it due to the nature of the stones?

Valid point Niel...
I only rock my 5 ct OEC on a daily basis. Due to the number of rings, my CS rings only get occassional wear and the baby treatment...
During holidays I wear a band or a set of sturdy made CS stackers.
Thanks and I will take this into consideration.
A reason to opt for platinum is that a lot is going on in this ring. As YG is not in my comfort zone, I am not sure about the combination of 'wild' yellow gold combined with the peacock bird metal work.
I can see though how the colouring creates a stunning combination.
Lots to think about :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1446897582|3946572 said:
Niel|1446896069|3946565 said:

Valid point Niel...
I only rock my 5 ct OEC on a daily basis. Due to the number of rings, my CS rings only get occassional wear and the baby treatment...
During holidays I wear a band or a set of sturdy made CS stackers.
Thanks and I will take this into consideration.
A reason to opt for platinum is that a lot is going on in this ring. As YG is not in my comfort zone, I am not sure about the combination of 'wild' yellow gold combined with the peacock bird metal work.
I can see though how the colouring creates a stunning combination.
Lots to think about :wavey:

I'm not going to say you should do it,I know you have a natural inclination towards white metal and its hard to pick yellow gold for you. I'm similar, but different lol.

I think it would be ok to have the birds in gold. I just think it gives a very regal, old world elegance to it in yellow gold. Like, I don't know, something Cleopatra would wear lol

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Niel :wavey:
And well, if it is good enough for Cleopatra :naughty:

I am currently thinking about another ban breaking project with a blue-green stone. If it all works out as planned it will definitely be set in a simple YG setting like the one below. Not sure why it's so difficult to make a decision in the peacock project :twisted:

_701.jpeg

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Acinom, I'm so glad you keep breaking your ban! It's fun to follow along with all of your gorgeous jewelry projects. I love simple solitaires, can't wait to see your center stone!

For the peacock ring, I agree with many others here that your center stone would be lovely in yellow gold. I'm having a hard time picturing the setting in yellow, though. I know first hand that the ring looks great in platinum. I also love the weight of the platinum. It's a heavy ring in the best of ways, if that makes sense. As the platinum ages, it's getting a softer look and the engraving and details just look better and better. Either way, you're going to get a fabulous ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whahahaha!
picante: I have decided to postpone the start of my stone buying ban until the end of this year. I am working on some more blue-green temptation before the ban begins. Alas, it also means the start of my setting-ban and thus BIG BAN will postponed a little.

Mmm, what you said in your post resonates with me: I can totally see the stone in yellow gold. I just cannot envision this particular setting in YG. Perhaps because I love it so much in platinum.
Thanks for sharing your insights!
All these insights and visions are so helpful in this process. I think I can make a decision this weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results