shape
carat
color
clarity

acceptable treatments on coloured diamonds?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
FCD are not yet on my radar.. but I spotted somthing just now that caught my eye for the first time and I just wanted a quick run down? Thanks in advance!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I really don't know much about diamond treatments but I'll post what I think is right anyway, that is how I learn :) These are some enhancements, I'm sure that there are more. You can find what is done with each online easily by just searching the term.

HTHP treatment -- stable, nice colours, a good option for tight budgets from what I have read.
Irradiation or irradiation+annealing -- Safe. In greens and blues. Quite sure it is stable.
Coating -- bad, wears off
Heating -- I think mostly in black diamonds, though annealing consists of heating the stone too.

Clarity treatments:
Clarity enhancement -- makes the diamond more susceptible to high temperature and acids, I see people advising against these on PS.
Laser drilling -- not so sure about this, I think it is a type of fracture filling.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1419195156|3805384 said:
Hmm, I really don't know much about diamond treatments but I'll post what I think is right anyway, that is how I learn :) These are some enhancements, I'm sure that there are more. You can find what is done with each online easily by just searching the term.

HTHP treatment -- stable, nice colours, a good option for tight budgets from what I have read.
Irradiation or irradiation+annealing -- Safe. In greens and blues. Quite sure it is stable.
Coating -- bad, wears off
Heating -- I think mostly in black diamonds, though annealing consists of heating the stone too.

Clarity treatments:
Clarity enhancement -- makes the diamond more susceptible to high temperature and acids, I see people advising against these on PS.
Laser drilling -- not so sure about this, I think it is a type of fracture filling.

I think all are stable, with the exception of coating, which can scratch off.

Black diamonds are often irradiated.

Good synopsis!! :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL.

Glad I could help you MrsCornishWed. Do let us know if you decide to get whatever it is that is under your radar, you got me curious

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results