shape
carat
color
clarity

About Tiffany Legacy and Tiffany Tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Ali suggested that I share some of what I have learned about the Legacy stone with the group thinking that some might be interested. I know for a fact that there is at least one member who knows more about it than I do, but I will tell you all what I know and have learned over the years. (This is just my understanding of the info. So I could be mistaken in some details but I believe them to be all true). First, the inventor of the Legacy diamond first approached Tiffany with his idea for a mixed cut modified cushion stone in the mid to late 1990''s. Tiffany was apparently encouraging towards him, but didn''t want to be financially involved. He was able to get some stones cut using his new idea and he also sought and received a Design Patent in 2001. Then he decided to apply for a utility patent. Now, getting to see his perfected vision created in a diamond along with his successful prosecution before the PTO got Tiffany''s attention. I should point out that while Design patents are only good for about 7 years generally, a utility patent is good for 20 years. And for 20 years from the date of issuance, (in this case 2006), no one can make that product. This is why no one cuts the Legacy diamond shape but Tiffany, and no one will cut a Legacy shaped stone until 2026 at the earliest. When it was clear that he had created something novel and wonderful, Tiffany and he signed an exclusive license to the cut. The inventor still owns the patent, but only Tiffany has the right to make or sell Legacy stones. Imagine how wonderful that is. Tiffany also has another inventor who actually works for Tiffany. He designed the amazing Lucida diamond, ALSO subject to a utility patent. So many people will say that a design patent is common for jewelry. Well, a utility patent certainly is not. And it is quite something for the company to own or exclusively use two of them, both for diamond cuts. This is why when you buy Tiffany, it is a lot more than buying a box. To suggest otherwise to me is just something people say because they cannot understand why their prices are SO high. And it doesn''t help that so few of the salespeople working there can articulate why Tiffany jewelry is art. Someone once explained to me that if an artist could recreate Van Gogh''s "Sunflowers" to a T, no one would pay hundreds of millions of dollars for it. Why? It would theoretically be an exact reproduction. Why not pay the same for an exact reproduction? I think the reason is because in the final analysis, it is a copy. If you think of fine jewelry as art, then when you buy at Tiffany you are buying the Rembrandt. You are buying the original, and no attention to detail is spared. For me, I think that if a buyer could afford a Legacy engagement ring at Tiffany with a center stone a size of .75 carat or greater, they would be better off buying the smaller Tiffany stone than a copy of the Legacy. And they can feel good about that decision because they are not buying a copy, but rather a unique diamond that is just exquisite. It is also diamond that is subject to two patents and which no one can recreate. I think that is extraordinary. (When I got engaged, we could not afford even a .75 carat Tiffany round brilliant. So I got a GIA certified 1.15 elsewhere set in a simple solitaire setting. I LOVE my ring, and I never felt cheated out of not having a Tiffany round brilliant. But a Legacy or a Lucida (neither of which existed when I got engaged) is a very different story. If such a stone had existed, I would have given serious thought to a small center stone, just to have that beautiful design.

On another note, there is a rather extraordinary history between Tiffany and Tanzania that continues even today. When I decide to go with the tanzanite for my ring, I have to admit that some of that decision was driven by the historical connection between the stone and Tiffany. I thought you guys might be interested to see an original 1969 Ad from the New Yorker magazine heralding the arrival of tanzanite at Tiffany''s. But it is so large, I cannot get it small enough to post. If anyone has some ideas about that I would love to hear how to do it. Some of my books talk about the tanzanite discovery and Tiffany''s connection. If I find something else interesting, I will share it with the group. Anyway, I hope some found the Legacy stuff interesting.
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isabelle,

thank you so much for taking the time to write out your post. I agree with you about Tiffany being more than a blue box when it comes to the patented cuts and settings. I''ve always been an advocate of buying the real deal when it comes to any designer out there who has created something unique. I like knowing I own and orignal and not a copy or knock off
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a well written post Isabelle. Thank you!!
1.gif

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a link to the article...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,900582,00.html

... and this is for sale on eBay:

31549.jpg

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was pretty cool info you provided Isabelle, thanks! I just finished up an intellectual property law class and it is extremely complicated (and expensive) to get a patent through the PTO. It''s no wonder Tiffany took notice after he accomplished that. I also think it''s cool that Tiffany has an employee and allows that person to own their patent. Many times employers will force an employee that develops a product (that the company sells) to sign over their rights. It paints a very flattering picture of T&Co as a company. I can''t wait to get my pink sapphire Legacy one day.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Ninama,

How did you post that ad? I want to post mine and I can''t make it small enough. Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I am so glad that you were interested in that. I certainly was. Moonwater: The Legacy inventor is actually not an employee of Tiffany. He has his own company, but he licenses Tiff the exclusive right to made the Legacy cut. The Lucida inventor is an employee of Tiffany and he has assigned the patent rights for Lucida to Tiffany.--That''s pretty standard practice when an employee invents on behalf of an employer. Though it would be awfully nice of them to let an employee inventor own the patent rights, it certainly would be unusual. :) I know many an inventor who wishes that were the case. But don''t feel too sorry for those guys. Even employee inventors are well compensated. The funny thing though is that Lucida is really probably the more important invention just b/c of what it represented. And yet, to me, Legacy is more beautiful. I guess that is where you get into the unquantifiable aspects of what is beautiful *to you*. :) If I can figure out how to post the old Tanzanite Ad, I will.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Isabelle...

Duplicate the file and scale it down in size *and* save it at a lower resolution - with a new name.

P.S. Thanks for all of that background info!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post! I have a lucida and while I wouldn''t have gone for a tiffany ring if I''d wanted a RB, I''m thrilled that I got my lucida.

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
Dear Isabelle,

Thanks a lot for the post.

Regarding tanzanite and its link to Tiffany''s:

My family lived in Kenya (where my brother and I were born) late 60''s to mid 70''s. Our father, who was a geologist, sent (1967) some blue zoisites to his father who showed the first crystals and cut tanzanites to Henry Platt, vice president of Tiffany''s and Company.

Mid 2007, the ICA asked our father to write an account of tanzanite''s discovery and early days.
It was published by the ICA. You can find the story at the following:
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/news/2008/02/11/11-tanzanite-its-discovery-and-early-days-by-john-saul-incolor-magazine-summer-2007

I''ve also decided to upload extra documents on our website:
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/news/2008/02/06/4-tanzanite-july-7-1967-tanzanite-something-new-out-of-africa-but-no-one-knew-what-it-was

I hope you''ll enjoy the readings.

Thanks again.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2008 2:07:59 PM
Author: Swala
Dear Isabelle,

Thanks a lot for the post.

Regarding tanzanite and its link to Tiffany''s:

My family lived in Kenya (where my brother and I were born) late 60''s to mid 70''s. Our father, who was a geologist, sent (1967) some blue zoisites to his father who showed the first crystals and cut tanzanites to Henry Platt, vice president of Tiffany''s and Company.

Mid 2007, the ICA asked our father to write an account of tanzanite''s discovery and early days.

It was published by the ICA. You can find the story at the following:

http://www.swalagemtraders.com/news/2008/02/11/11-tanzanite-its-discovery-and-early-days-by-john-saul-incolor-magazine-summer-2007

I''ve also decided to upload extra documents on our website:

http://www.swalagemtraders.com/news/2008/02/06/4-tanzanite-july-7-1967-tanzanite-something-new-out-of-africa-but-no-one-knew-what-it-was

I hope you''ll enjoy the readings.

Thanks again.

Dear Swala,

This is amazing. I cannot believe this incredible link to history with your father and such an amazing stone. I heard from a very reliable source that the President of Tanzania was very recently at the Tiffany corporate offices to celebrate Tiffany''s bringing this incredible stone to the world. Your father was a huge part of this story. I think the Tanzania to Tiffany connection lives on. I am absolutely amazed that you have shared this story with us. Thank you! :)
35.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Eric,

I read with great interest these articles. Your father was so important to the marketing of tanzanite. Your father and your family has been living history in every sense. I would love to see these mines sometime. I was so fascinated too to see the date July 7, 1967. My son was born on July 7, 2000. He turned 7 on 07/07/07, which of course would have been the 40th anniversary of the discovery date. Amazing.
30.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2008 1:59:40 PM
Author: bee*
Great post! I have a lucida and while I wouldn''t have gone for a tiffany ring if I''d wanted a RB, I''m thrilled that I got my lucida.

Ok I will give it a shot this evening with hopefully the help of my husband. Thank you

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2008 12:29:59 PM
Author: Isabelle
Thanks guys! I am so glad that you were interested in that. I certainly was. Moonwater: The Legacy inventor is actually not an employee of Tiffany. He has his own company, but he licenses Tiff the exclusive right to made the Legacy cut. The Lucida inventor is an employee of Tiffany and he has assigned the patent rights for Lucida to Tiffany.--That''s pretty standard practice when an employee invents on behalf of an employer. Though it would be awfully nice of them to let an employee inventor own the patent rights, it certainly would be unusual. :) I know many an inventor who wishes that were the case. But don''t feel too sorry for those guys. Even employee inventors are well compensated. The funny thing though is that Lucida is really probably the more important invention just b/c of what it represented. And yet, to me, Legacy is more beautiful. I guess that is where you get into the unquantifiable aspects of what is beautiful *to you*. :) If I can figure out how to post the old Tanzanite Ad, I will.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought Tiffany allowed the Lucida inventor to keep the patent. Oh well, it''s not standard practice anyhow, can''t hold it against them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results