shape
carat
color
clarity

A Stone to Pass Along...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you have seen this ring of mine before. It was my grandma's. Unlike some of her other rings, I don't have a strong association with her for this one (in fact, it might have been a ring she inherited from one of her sisters who predeceased her). I think the ring is truly beautiful though as most of you know, I am not a halo gal. But the diamonds are really sparkly and white and the detailing is intricate and well made. I believe the stone may have already been changed out once because the prongs are kind of thick and awkward in relation to the rest of the ring.

So why am I writing all this? Because I want to replace the dark spinel that is currently in the setting (I would euphemistically call it cranberry colored or red wine, but the reality is that it is huge, dark and not very well cut). I know the ring is blingey, but I would like a peach/lavender/baby pink colored spinel to take its place and I have been looking for well over a year. The stone needs to be an oval, roughly 10.75 x 8.75, I thought I found the perfect stone, which is the second purpose for me to write. Dana had (has) a stone that I had high hopes in. But when it arrived, despite it being so beautiful that it made my heart sing, it was too small. :(( But before I sent it back, I ogled it - a lot. At different times. In different lightings.

I don't do this often (perhaps the second or third time I have recommended a stone I've seen), but I have to urge someone to buy it. Dana is absolutely right in saying that it changes color, going from a pure beautiful lavender in outside natural light, to an equally gorgeous peachy pink color indoors. There is no time when the stone is not just really, really pretty. It gives off the sparks a spinel is supposed to and is just gorgeous. The one caveat is that this is one that Dana cut down from a larger stone in order to remove a significant inclusion and in the process of saving weight, it has a large table and a pretty low crown. It is of course well cut (with no window) but it reminds me a bit of a concave cut due to the large table - just something to keep in mind. Please someone buy this stone, you will not regret it if you are looking for a large, well cut, pastel spinel!

Now, as to finding a stone for my ring, anyone have any ideas? I look regularly at Gemcal, Shopgemstone, the usual suspects, but nothing has worked so far. Please keep me in mind if something crosses your path.

TIA :wavey:

Gumma'sspinel.jpg

Gumma'sring.jpg

Dana's Spinel 2.jpg

Dana's Spinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could probably do 11 x 9 in there, so I wouldn't look for exact perfect measurements, or you may never find the exact stone. Very beautiful setting, and I know you don't like halos, but I think its just divine!! :love: :love: :love:

Not sure what your budget is, but Tan might be open to an offer. This would fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-85ct-Oval...666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd14ca5a

Great cutting too. Love that high crown.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, TL, I agree - when Tan has well cut stones, they are truly well done, just the way I like them - high crowns, small tables and lots of sparkle! That would be the perfect stone (a little pricey perhaps) if only it were lighter; that baby pink/peach/lavender I'm after.

Any more recommendations? In the meantime, I'll look all over his sites... =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen this one listed with a starting bid price of $599, so I know that's a price he'll take an offer on and accept, although, I haven't bid on it myself. It might not be saturated enough for you, but its definitely the right size, and its' a baby pink. I've purchased a few stones from this seller with decent luck (there was only one hot pink I didn't care for), but the rest were very pretty. I would just be leary of his hot pink stones. Nice high crown too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-54-CT-nat...s_PierresPrécieuses_Fines&hash=item2eba6d0e6f

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No help with the stone but I have to drool at the setting. Super blingtastic!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1326450409|3101944 said:
It might not be saturated enough for you, but its definitely the right size, and its' a baby pink. I've purchased a few stones from this seller with decent luck (there was only one hot pink I didn't care for), but the rest were very pretty. I would just be leary of his hot pink stones. Nice high crown too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-54-CT-nat...s_PierresPrécieuses_Fines&hash=item2eba6d0e6f

TL: Thanks for all your help - you know exactly what I am looking for and this is getting pretty close! Is this ebay store affiliated with Shopgemstone?

Please, won't someone buy Dana's gorgeous spinel, right on his first page of cut stones....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1326490092|3102362 said:
TL|1326450409|3101944 said:
It might not be saturated enough for you, but its definitely the right size, and its' a baby pink. I've purchased a few stones from this seller with decent luck (there was only one hot pink I didn't care for), but the rest were very pretty. I would just be leary of his hot pink stones. Nice high crown too.

TL: Thanks for all your help - you know exactly what I am looking for and this is getting pretty close! Is this ebay store affiliated with Shopgemstone?

Please, won't someone buy Dana's gorgeous spinel, right on his first page of cut stones....

Yes, they are the same store.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minous - are you sure that Dana's spinel is too small?????? Looking at the stone in the ring now there's an airline around it. I'm wondering if the spinel would do the same? If your measurements are correct (and Dana's) there's no reason why it wouldn't fit and in actual fact it should be a great fit!

It is an absolutely gorgeous spinel and if I hadn't just bought something I might have been tempted.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1326501931|3102517 said:
Minous - are you sure that Dana's spinel is too small?????? Looking at the stone in the ring now there's an airline around it. I'm wondering if the spinel would do the same? If your measurements are correct (and Dana's) there's no reason why it wouldn't fit and in actual fact it should be a great fit!

It is an absolutely gorgeous spinel and if I hadn't just bought something I might have been tempted.

I know, right? When I held Dana's spinel up to the ring and the spinel that's in there now, it looked like it would fall right through, so I'm not sure I'm measuring the stone that is in there correctly. I also detest air lines and I would love a stone that would fit like a glove and then have the prongs tapered down to be more delicate. But LD, as I've said so many times, I don't know anything about making stones fit in jewelry and knowing what looks good, I just know nice stones when I see them. You're right, it truly is a beautiful stone, one that is far prettier in reality than in the photos (though his photos are dead on accurate)

As to considering other stones, the only stone I'll consider for this ring is spinel and I'm happy to continue to wait to find the right one to do it justice.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minous I have a horrible feeling you may be right and you haven't measured correctly especially if you thought the spinel might fall through the ring. Do you have just a normal household ruler that you can place over the stone and measure top to bottom of the hole of the setting and then side to side? It won't give an accurate reading but you'll get to the nearest half or whole mm and that should help. If you are friendly with a local jeweller they may be able to help. You probably need to do that before you search for another spinel otherwise you may have more disappointment. :(sad

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous setting! I see Dana's spinel is now marked sold. Is that for you while you double check measurements, or did someone else finally jump on it?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
How about this one from Litnon? It's been on their site for 2-3 months now iirc and I've mentioned it a few times on here since it's one of the larger spinels I've seen and the price seems quite good:
http://litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8833

You can also get in touch with Gemcal and ask them if they have what you're looking for. I inquired about a certain size, shape, color spinel awhile back and they have more stock not listed on their site.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring, Minou! It's too bad Dana's spinel was too small, because it would have looked amazing in that setting. I'm glad that someone snapped up the spinel, though--that was very nice of you to pre-vet it :naughty: .

Depending on your budget for this, have you considered contacting Jeff White, or one of the other precision cutters to see if one of them has rough that might be suitable?

On the Litnon stone, I'm afraid the bowtie would bother me...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD: I think you are absolutely right and will take it into to a jewelers to measure...like I said, I would like to do without an air line and I have no idea what the ring will "hold" without having a crack evident. Interesting, I found an old appraisal which gave the measurements of the stone as about 11 x 9, so the Dana stone should've been fine...

NKOTB: I am so happy that someone bought that beautiful spinel, but it wasn't me!

Aoife: thanks for the compliments on the ring. If I must, I will start to contact the cutters (I started with Dana who knows the whole story) to see what they might come up with. I realize I am looking for one particular color of peach/pink/lavender, which will be hard to find.

Xiriah: thanks for keeping me in mind - I really appreciate it!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB|1326550660|3102852 said:
That is a gorgeous setting! I see Dana's spinel is now marked sold. Is that for you while you double check measurements, or did someone else finally jump on it?

I jumped on it, I was so disappointed when I saw it was first sold, and am glad I got a second chance ::) I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm a long time lurker/infrequent poster, and when I saw everyone's pretty bling, I had to get in there, this is much bigger than my previous purchases, and I don't really have anything in this colour, I'm hoping to make it into an anniversary gift (I'm helping the hubby :bigsmile: )... Threadjack over

Cheers

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's great! :appl: Please, please let us know what you think when you get it...I really thought it was one of the top prettiest spinels I've seen...

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1326904014|3105902 said:
Oh that's great! :appl: Please, please let us know what you think when you get it...I really thought it was one of the top prettiest spinels I've seen...

Hi minousbijoux, you were right, it is lovely! It's actually a little bigger than I imagined, even though I knew the dimensions... Probably because this is the largest stone I ever bought, I think I'm going to set it in a pendant, it's slightly too large for a ring for me ::)

Best of luck on your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results