shape
carat
color
clarity

a purple stone

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
So today I was thinking that there would be something delightful about a purple stone to wear as a RHR at my wedding -- and then to serve as a reminder of that (hopefully!) wonderful day.

The problem is that I have absolutely zero idea where to start, how much money I'm looking at spending, or anything of the sort. It probably doesn't help that I have a specific hue in mind that is less bright purple and more of a smoky purple (as seen in the color of my bridesmaids dresses - not the actual dress!). I don't particularly care about stone shape, but would probably prefer something with rounded edges.

Is this something the denizens of colored stones would be willing to help me out with? I would really appreciate any help you could provide!

Fullscreen capture 1292011 85255 PM.bmp.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1296357254|2837014 said:
So today I was thinking that there would be something delightful about a purple stone to wear as a RHR at my wedding -- and then to serve as a reminder of that (hopefully!) wonderful day.

The problem is that I have absolutely zero idea where to start, how much money I'm looking at spending, or anything of the sort. It probably doesn't help that I have a specific hue in mind that is less bright purple and more of a smoky purple (as seen in the color of my bridesmaids dresses - not the actual dress!). I don't particularly care about stone shape, but would probably prefer something with rounded edges.

Is this something the denizens of colored stones would be willing to help me out with? I would really appreciate any help you could provide!

Purple spinel would fit the bill. It can be a smoky purple color.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, that's lovely!

Umm...this is kind of embarrassing, but which site is Barry? I looked in the list of vendors, but since it appears his store isn't listed under his name, I don't know who to contact! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1296361486|2837070 said:
Oooh, that's lovely!

Umm...this is kind of embarrassing, but which site is Barry? I looked in the list of vendors, but since it appears his store isn't listed under his name, I don't know who to contact! :lol:

acstones.com

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I'm such a doofus, in my excitement I forgot about a little thing called google. :oops:

Thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1296361678|2837073 said:
I'm such a doofus, in my excitement I forgot about a little thing called google. :oops:

Thank you!

NP, keep us posted on your search. ;))

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Alas, no dice on Barry. Any other vendors I should check in with?

Another question, if I may - in a spinel, what weight is reasonable to be looking at? I know some stones are rare enough that teeny-tiny stones are marveled at, but I would prefer something a bit more substantial. I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree, though, if that just ain't gonna happen!

Thanks y'all!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1296518649|2838686 said:
Alas, no dice on Barry. Any other vendors I should check in with?

Another question, if I may - in a spinel, what weight is reasonable to be looking at? I know some stones are rare enough that teeny-tiny stones are marveled at, but I would prefer something a bit more substantial. I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree, though, if that just ain't gonna happen!

Thanks y'all!

They tend to go up a lot in price after 2 carats. However, you should be able to find something reasonable. Smokey purple spinel is not a super expensive stone from what I've seen.

Here's a very inexpensive one, but it's on the smaller side, around three quarters of a carat. Maybe a tad bit too light for you though, but it will sparkle more as many darker spinels tend to close up except under bright lighting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-73ct-Top-Notc...ultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4c335d8#ht_2245wt_958

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
TL, thank you for your help! Of the two stones you posted, the first is the right hue, but a bit too light. The second just isn't doing it for me on hue. (Oh, I hope I'm using that term right and not embarrassing myself...)

I'm feeling a bit like goldilocks...

Fortunately this is a fun project, but not one that is necessary (I'm just assuming some stones are, in fact, necessary! :lol: ) I think I'm going to take my time, read up a bit on the stone, and search around. I'll come back when I feel I have a better sense of what I'm doing!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks loving diamonds!

If I could get out of here spending under $500 total (including a simple setting), I would be a happy camper. I'm not horribly opposed to going over if that's completely unreasonable, though, as I would rather have something I love.

The other thing I've thought to do is a 3- or 5-stone ring with purple and very light yellow stones, but I don't know if that's a better or worse idea. Smaller stones needed, yes, but I'm guessing harder to get matched sets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results